3700x

Soldato
Just checking this normal, my 3700x will boost to about 3.9-4.0, which is low for the spec, but its using the full 100% of the 88W total socket power, CPU current (90A) is at 97-100% also. So im guessing thats as high as it can go.

Soldato
I'm guessing you are stress testing when you give the figures (3.9 - 4.0 @88 W) this could be right but it is on the low side so the first thing to consider would be what your cooling is and what your temperatures are doing, second thing is do you have PBO enabled as this can increase boost speeds under 100% load but doesn't really do anything useful outside of all core workloads / benchmarking.

I have my 3700X running with PBO disabled and am using the 1usmus power plan, cooling is via a 240mm AIO. Boost speeds under all core loads don't drop below 4000Mhz with a load temperature of ~65c. I can get better boost speeds when stress testing all cores with PBO on (4125Mhz) but this increses temps by ~10c and has zero impact on gaming performance (tested via gaming benchmarks).

You could look at setting an all core overclock, 4.2 is usually acheivable with appropriate voltages. However this only benefits Cinebench benchmarks and video rendering software than can put all cores under load. It has zero benefit to gaming or other real world applications as you are loosing the ability to boost past 4.2, and it comes at a cost of increased temperatures and potential shorter lifespan for the CPU.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Temp is about 66c under full load. I have no idea if PBO is enabled, running default settings, AMD ryzen performance power plan.
Thats when doing mp4 conversions.

Edit:
Giving PBO a try via Ryzen Master and its made little difference, still seems maxed at 4Ghz now, but temps up at 73c.

Last edited:
Soldato
Temp is about 66c under full load. I have no idea if PBO is enabled, running default settings, AMD ryzen performance power plan.

Edit:
Giving PBO a try via Ryzen Master and its made little difference, still seems maxed at 4Ghz now, but temps up at 73c.
Sounds like a motherboard power delivery issue maybe, what board do you have?

Soldato

Edit:
Temps sound fine, what does it boost to when just pratting about in windows / gaming, hopefully you're seeing 4.4 on at least one core?

Soldato
OP
Temps sound fine, what does it boost to when just pratting about in windows / gaming, hopefully you're seeing 4.4 on at least one core?
Any easy what to see max speed, is there a way of logging speeds?
Just in windows, it goes as low as 800mhz to 2ghz, never stays still.

Sounds like a motherboard power delivery issue maybe, what board do you have?
MSI B550M Mortar

Edit: Strangely tried HWinfor64 and thats saying in windows, doing not much its going all the way upto 4350 on random cores, and staying at a minamum 3600?

Last edited:
Soldato
I use HWiNFO64 for monitoring - Link.

If you haven't already might be worthwhile updating the BIOS as with each revision they have managed to get a bit more performance out of the chips - Link.

Also make sure you've got the latest chipset drivers direct from AMD - Link.

Sounds like the power plan you are using has a low minimum CPU speed set, the 1usmus one has this set to 99% so it doesn't drop that far, I would reccomend it as I saw higher boost speeds across all cores after installing it (not under stress tests though, and note it doesn't work with PBO enabled) - Link.

Once you've checked the above post back with your non stress test boost speeds.

Soldato
OP
I use HWiNFO64 for monitoring - Link.

If you haven't already might be worthwhile updating the BIOS as with each revision they have managed to get a bit more performance out of the chips - Link.

Also make sure you've got the latest chipset drivers direct from AMD - Link.

Sounds like the power plan you are using has a low minimum CPU speed set, the 1usmus one has this set to 99% so it doesn't drop that far, I would reccomend it as I saw higher boost speeds across all cores after installing it (not under stress tests though, and note it doesn't work with PBO enabled) - Link.

Once you've checked the above post back with your non stress test boost speeds.

Latest everything(chipset drivers you link are older than what im using, im running 2.05.04.352), Ryzen Max performance powerplan. Like i said above HWInfo64 says different to ryzen master, says i get minamum speeds of 3600 and max around 4350 under windows.

When using all cores im getting, averages around 4,050, maxes of 4,175.

Soldato
HWInfo and Ryzen master don't play well together so best to use one or the other, any changes you want to use Ryzen Master for can be changed in BIOS.

You might want to look a bit more into the chipset driver as the page I posted is AMD's live driver download site for the B550, the driver on there is dated 6/3/20 which I assume is 3rd June, it looks like the version you have was released mid May.

I honestly think you would be better off using the 1usmus power plan, but if you wan't to stick with the AMD one then fair enough.

The CPU should be able to boost to 4400 on at least one core, so I think something may need tweaking, you could start by setting a medium / medium-high CPU LLC in your BIOS to see if this helps, as Illuminist said it could be the board isn't giving the CPU enough power an increased LLC may help.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom