3770K Overclocking

Soldato
Looking to get some more speed out of my PC mostly to push up the WoW FPS as I know that engine is still rather CPU bound.

Currently have a 3770K sitting in a Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H with 16Gb in 4x4Gb of HyperX PC3-12800C9 RAM along with a Corsair AIO.

Is it just a question of changing the clock multiplier in BIOS? I am running the EFI version of the bios.

Or do I need to change other settings?

Thanks

Kimbie

Soldato
Lock vcore down to a sensible voltage rather than leaving it on Auto as motherboards can be a little... overenthusiastic with voltage. But for a mild overclock, you pretty much just up the multiplier yeah.

Associate
Thanks the for advice I will have a look.

The 4.5Ghz is that the stock speed or when it does its boost thing?
They are the same thing basically but 4.5Ghz would be your max boost speed with x45 multiplier and 100 MHz BCLK.

Someone will correct me if this is wrong but I think the way turbo boost works is that the mutiplier is different depending on how many cores are active. For example with one active core the mutiplier is x39 whilst with four cores active it's x35. If you change the mutiplier on all four cores to x45 you will get 4.5Ghz with all four cores active (and it won't exceed that with only one core active since that is the maximum for every core).

Associate
The sweet spot for my 3770k is 4.5 @ 1.23v. All cores sync'd and running 4.5 with speedstep disabled.

Using asus maximus gene v and p8z77 premium mobo's.

Ran stress tests when I first set it up and never fell over. Then just used it for everything else for the last 4-5yrs. 100% reliable. Its now been moved to my second system where it will probably be used for another 4-5yrs.

Back
Top Bottom