• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3770K vs Ryzen 2600(x) for non-gaming workloads?

Associate
Hi there,
I'm a streamer and I've recently moved to a 2 PC system, using my old PC as the dedicated system.

It has a 3770K with all core overclock at 4.5ghz and I added a GTX 1650 Super to handle the encoding. It works really well...however I do have so5me issues occasionally with the CPU being maxed out when changing scenes if I load a complex website...and this can cause some rendering lag. Although I'm on a budget and only a small streamer, I take it really seriously (too serious probably ) and am a perfectionist...I want to reduce any kind of bottlenecking as much as possible.

I've been considering getting a midrange Ryzen CPU and some memory. I've already got a new X470 board that I got last year that I had to upgrade for compatibility issues and was passed the return period.

I was thinking for the Ryzen 2600 or 2600x which I can probably pick up for around £100 and some memory for £50ish. My question would be would the new gear perform any better?

It's got 2 more cores and 2 more threads, but lower clock speed. But then it would also have much faster DDR4 memory up from 1600mhz DDR3...and it's obviously just newer.

I'm not sure though whether it would be a huge difference? Am not really after a speed increase...just a better ability for the system to absorb increases in system load so's not to starve OBS of CPU horses.

Thoughts? Thanks

Soldato
Almost certainly. 2 more cores & 4 more threads should spread the load so to speak but that depends on the encoder being able to utilise those extra cores. If it does then I'd suggest getting a 2700 for double the cores & threads you have now for not much more than you'd pay for a 2600.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the response. Just to be clear...I'm not actually using the CPU for encoding...I use the 1650 Super's NVENC encoder.

My understanding of it is the "normal" bit of the GPU that would normally produce the gameplay...that same process is used to composite the scenes in OBS...and then the NVENC handles the actual encoding bit. So since im not gaming on that computer, there is nothing really fighting for horses other than OBS.

I think what does happen though is there are sources in OBS, such as the browser sources used to display the usual affair of latest follower/sub etc and certain video codecs that there isn't a decoder built into the CPU or GPU (.webm and .mov for example...the only 2 video formats that support alpha channels), that stuff is processed by the CPU...I get spiked in CPU usage when anything like that is being rendered...and so then that causes render lag cause the CPU cant feed the data to the GPU for compositing.

I also, on the same pc, have all sorts of stream related stuff running. But for the most part, it's fine. Just them times it's not, really get me triggered

I know that's a mass of info...just wanted to make it clear what is happening and whether a newer CPU would help...and I even mean beyond the cores/threads...like the general optimisations that have happened since 3770k and the Ryzen 2xxx series...memory speed etc.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom