• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3800x load temperature

Associate
Just curious of my temperatures are normal.

just doing normal stuff in windows, browsing etc they fluctuate from ~40-50 sometimes spikes up to 55-60 and the fan spins up a little.

Ran CineBench and it was getting up to 85 by the end of the test, is that normal or too high?

Soldato

just doing normal stuff in windows, browsing etc they fluctuate from ~40-50 sometimes spikes up to 55-60 and the fan spins up a little.

Ran CineBench and it was getting up to 85 by the end of the test, is that normal or too high?

How you applied the thermal paste? What cooler you use?

Associate
I bought a 3600 last weekend and experienced similar issues with the stock cooler. I was hitting 92 degrees at full load. Re-applying thermal paste did nothing.

I ended up buying a budget aftermarket cooler and my temps are significantly lower now (I have yet to see 70).

Soldato

I think that's about normal comparing to my 3800X. Mine is 10 degrees lower on a multicore cinebench run @ 75 degrees as I am on a 280mm AIO. But browsing I can see maximums of 45 degrees. 7nm the heat is more concentrated and a cooling system cant ramp up quickly enough to compensate, and these max temps are spikes measured in the CPU, On a longer run the pump & fans have ramped up and so I see a lower temp under a bench run as I'm on an AIO in a big case Be Quiet 900 pro. I think your temps are fine, particularly for that Wraith cooler. The supplied paste pad on the cooler is the right size to cover the CPU. Though pre applied pads of paste have never been as good as 3rd party pastes from a tube.

I think your setup is normal. Depends what software you measure it with.

Soldato
OP: Totally normal, don't sweat it man! You know there is also a switch on that cooler (hi and lo) if you put it on high it will unlock higher rev speeds if you are worried about keeping it coller under full load.

Stick a bigger cooler on it !!!

Bundled coolers have always been poor
There is really no point unless he is trying for an all cores high overclock.

The wraith prism is a really good cooler, I was surprised at how well it does!

Soldato
Whats the noise/temps like with it switched to high?
I've not even tried lol, but will test it now... it wont affect idle temps, it just makes it spin faster at higher temps.

Current idle with browser open is between 35c and 43c.... cinebench 74c... IBT (lol) after a very high complete run 81c

oh high = same idle, same cinebench both same noise levels..... with IBT its on 78c and a bit louder, noticably so but not crazy loud.

(I have great airflow etc in my case, the side has a 20cm fan blowing right at the gpu and cpu.)

Actually, after running the cinebench test again after letting it cool down a bit longer it peaks at 73c so 1c less. I only thought of that after seeing the cinebench score with it on high was almost 400 points higher.

(just noticed this is thread is about the 3800x lol, mine is a 3700x, so I would deffo absolutly say that the temps are normal, esp if it is hitting the higher boost speeds)

Last edited:
Soldato
Seems acceptable then considering the core/thread anything above 80c id be unhappy with tbh

If not overclocking, undervolting the cpu could help

Aye, I was expecting higher max temps after full load runs.

My only complaint is it picks up a lot more dust with how my system is set up than a on its side cooler.... but I've rectified that now with a filter for the side fan,

Associate
I have a 3600 with an artic esport34 duo (two fans) and in prime95etc it gets up to about 68ºC. As I have less threads than a 3800x and a better cooler then I think that your temps are normal. You wont usually max out all 16 threads and so you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom