• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3900x -> ?

Soldato
Currently got a 3900x and tempted to upgrade to a 5900x or 58003dx

I'll keep the 3900x and throw it on a b450 tomahawk or equiv board for my lad at some point around Christmas for a Christmas present. He is keen to get on to computer gaming.

Question is what CPU?

I mainly game, bf2042, Forza, fortnite, fs2020 @1400p.

I run a 3080fe 10gb.

Tempted by the 5900x as it's pretty cheap and I expect it will unlock quite a few frames more for me. It being £60 cheaper than the 5800xd is also a positive.

I sometimes process the odd 4k film, but I doubt enough to warrant caring about which processor.

Soldato
5900X would be better for longevity with more cores and for productivity, 58003DX would be better for 720p/1080p gaming at very high frame rates if that's your thing. At 1440p, get the 5900X.

Soldato
I went from a 3900X to a 5800X3D, mainly because I game and Handbrake + Davinci Resolve was updated to allow GPU encoding, so didn't need the extra cores any more.

If the 4K film processing is not that often then the 5800X3D would give a good boost in gaming. I would only go for the 5900X if you really need the extra cores.

Soldato
I'm keeping mine for now. If I had to choose I would definitely go with the 5800X3D as gaming performance is most important to me (and FS2020 is one of the games that really benefits, Fortnite benefits too), just remember you need a very good cooler to keep it under control and in rendering and/or stress tests you may well still see 90C (this not dangerous, the CPU is intelligent in terms of managing these things). However, gaming temps should be a lot lower, power consumption is also nice and low (a key benefit that's often missed and particularly important in these times of expensive energy).

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks folks.

I'm still trying to get my 3900x stable on my aorus master. I was on f34, stable as with my fclk. But moving to f36e (needed for 5800x3d, well this or the one before) has caused nothing but trouble. Previously I'd some voltages manually set, and some auto. Looks like I need to set more manually on this bios.

Kinda want stability before I jump into troubleshooting another cpu. I'm close though.

Associate
I currently have a 3900x and was thinking of upgrading my system. I was thinking of going 5900x, but have decided to go Zen 4 instead. I even have the DDR5 ram already as it was cheap.

Soldato
Thanks folks.

I'm still trying to get my 3900x stable on my aorus master. I was on f34, stable as with my fclk. But moving to f36e (needed for 5800x3d, well this or the one before) has caused nothing but trouble. Previously I'd some voltages manually set, and some auto. Looks like I need to set more manually on this bios.

Kinda want stability before I jump into troubleshooting another cpu. I'm close though.
The Gigabyte bioses with letter suffixes are beta ones. I would stay clear of them unless you know it fixes an issue you have or like being guinea pigs for Gigabyte. ;)

Best to stick to whole number ones.

Soldato
OP
The Gigabyte bioses with letter suffixes are beta ones. I would stay clear of them unless you know it fixes an issue you have or like being guinea pigs for Gigabyte. ;)

Best to stick to whole number ones.
Yes I know. But for my board at least they don't have a released bios that supports the 5800x3d. At least not last week when i checked.

Soldato
OP
I currently have a 3900x and was thinking of upgrading my system. I was thinking of going 5900x, but have decided to go Zen 4 instead. I even have the DDR5 ram already as it was cheap.
That is my other option, but with my lad wanting an 'new' pc, I'm tempted to run my aorus master for a few more years and get him a b450 mobo for the 3900x.

I'm not thinking zen 4 and ddr5 will be needed for what I do in the next few years.

Associate
That is my other option, but with my lad wanting an 'new' pc, I'm tempted to run my aorus master for a few more years and get him a b450 mobo for the 3900x.

I'm not thinking zen 4 and ddr5 will be needed for what I do in the next few years.

I don't think you can go wrong either way, you have a good motherboard and it's the cheapest way for a good upgrade.

Now I can't make my mind up to either swap my daughters 3800x for my 3900x and sell the 3800x or just sell the 3900x?

She currently has a better motherboard then me, a Tomahawk x570.

Soldato
Thanks folks.

Did you go back to F34 to verify that this is still case? I wonder whether it's some sort of hardware failure instead.

Soldato
OP
Did you go back to F34 to verify that this is still case? I wonder whether it's some sort of hardware failure instead.
Yup. I rolled back to f34 and all is good.

I think the difference is the volts given by the bios when fields are set to auto. F34 gave 1000mv @ auto but f36e gives 950 @ auto for example

Soldato

Just be prepared for the new chipset teething issues that will probably arise. BIOS, DDR5 and LGA socket. There's bound to be the early adopter suffering to bear lol

Back
Top Bottom