3d printer for small components?

Associate
Hi everyone... Im completely new here, and to 3d printing, and I am confused with the varying types of printers available

I need to print some small components for a project that I am working on (between 7 to 12mm)

They are for a prototype that will ultimately be made from a metallic material, but for R&D purposes the overall strength is not as important as the functionality that I am trying to establish.

My understanding that a resin printer would be more appropriate, but I plan to use it indoors and the fumes from it are something I would have to consider?

I feel the FFF / FDM printer is probably more to what I would want, but will it print small component size in a good quality? Could anyone advise based on the above, what printer I should be considering?

So far, and considering I am a complete newbie, I am drawn to the Prusa Mini Plus, but I really don’t know if this is the right one. and really, I would be spending more than I would like. The other is the Ender 3 https://www.amazon.co.uk/Comgrow-Cr...mzn1.fos.d7e5a2de-8759-4da3-993c-d11b6e3d217f

This is more to what I would like to spend. But maybe someone could tell me that I would be better off with something different?

To note, the printer once I’ve used it for this project will more than likely sit without any regular use for long periods

Any advice very much appreciated

Many thanks legepe

Soldato
you'll have a hard time getting dimensional accuracy with any FDM printer but doubly so with an ender 3.
Also at that scale you're going to have problems.
just get a SLA printer like a cheap Anycubic Photon Mono and crack a window.
as long as you're not sleeping in the same room you won't have issues. I would recommend not leaving the resin in the vat for days between prints.

Associate
OP
you'll have a hard time getting dimensional accuracy with any FDM printer but doubly so with an ender 3.
Also at that scale you're going to have problems.
just get a SLA printer like a cheap Anycubic Photon Mono and crack a window.
as long as you're not sleeping in the same room you won't have issues. I would recommend not leaving the resin in the vat for days between prints.
Ok, ill probably go with what you recommend. Anycubic Photon Mono. Is this printer easy for beginners to use? will it require a lot to set it up? will it require a lot of maintenance? will I have to run a cleaning solution through it after each use? and if so, what cleaning solution should I use? Or would you recommend the water based resin?
Also, with second thoughts I will have some larger pieces with not so much small detail to print (up to 180mm x 40mm) Will this printer do it?

Last edited:
Soldato
it depends what one you go for?
Larger prints are easier on FDM printers, smaller more detailed are better on resin.
maybe look on facebook marketplace for a cheap 2nd hand one?

Associate
OP
it depends what one you go for?
Larger prints are easier on FDM printers, smaller more detailed are better on resin.
maybe look on facebook marketplace for a cheap 2nd hand one?
Ok its the smaller components that are important, so itll have to be the SLA. Ill get the Anycubic Photon Mono 2 from Amazon. https://www.amazon.co.uk/ANYCUBIC-P...6e3d217f&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1
Can you please just tell me, is it a must to have a Anycubic wash and cure station, or can I just get the printer? and would you recommend the water based resin?

Soldato
you can get away without the wash and cure station but you'll need something to clean your prints in, normally people use plastic pickle jars and isopropyl alcohol or methylated spirits.
you WILL need some nitrile gloves as well.
do not let this stuff sit on your skin for any period of time.

The mono you linked is fine, I think rails are better tbh so maybe this?

If you can stretch to just a little more then get this -

Associate
OP
Thanks your input VeNT... Ive already bought the mono, wash/cure station and water based resin from amazon.. and should get it tomorrow. Hopefully itll be ok. If I need to print bigger then I will maybe contenplate an FDM. I just hope that I can manage without too many difficulties any software to design the components I need to print. Thanks again!
PS: Ive understood that even after SLA printing is complete, it still needs to be cured.. Is this not correct?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi was just hoping also you can recommend a resin that is strong but has some flex, as from what I can see the water based resin is very brittle when cured?

Associate
There are 3d printing companies that do MOV service so interesting you went ahead to purchase the printer instead of giving them a go.
Resin printing is a bit more steep learning curve for someone just starting with 3d printing in general so let us know how you get on.

What sort of properties do you need from cured parts?

Back
Top Bottom