3d Printer upgrade

Soldato
Hi, Ive had the Wanhao i3 for a good 4-5yrs and its a excellent printer, but it would be nice to be able to print bigger things. Ive just had a quick look on amazon and I came across this one which looks a nice upgrade sizewise, plus it prints 2 colours... Any thoughts guys?
Sovol SV04 3D Printer

Associate
Depends on your budget I guess. The latest tech most manufacturers have been putting out in the last year or so is printers that have:
- Core XY
- auto z level/first layer (no dials/screws to adjust on bed)
- full colour screens
- some sort of web interface
- multi material or multiple toolheads.

However this ups the price. BambuLab P1P or creality K1 are good for price. Then if you want the god tier PRUSA XL with 5 toolheads but you’d have to take out a small loan and wait a bit for it.

Soldato
OP
bambu p1p/s would be the one i go for next
Thats a bit on the small side but I see it can print stupidly fast though

I've kind of changed my mind from the SVO4 to the SV06 plus, because it can print the same sizewise accept about 5cm less virtually, but 34cm is still loads more printing room than the 18cm I have over my current printer. plus it clams to print at 150mm/s instead of the 50mm/s of my current printer, but Im not too fussed on speed, as I think slower is better then faster for a higher successful print percentage. And no need for bed levelling and it come with a all metal hotend, so no faffing around replacing the ptfe tube.

The only advantage that the SV04 has is the 2 print heads and the slightly taller printing room

Soldato
OP
bambu p1p/s would be the one i go for next
I know its not like the p1p printer at all but it reminds of the inclosed printer I had years ago, actually it was my first 3d printer and will never have an enclosed printer again as it took up sooooo much room. You only really need a inclosed printer if your printing ABS, where drafts causes splitting... Getting the Wanhao i3 printer was like heaven as it was sooo much smaller but had a much much larger build plate. Also an inclosed printer is awkward to work in when stuff needs fixing...

What a beast of a printer and the build plate was tiny..lol

bB2SvBr.jpg

AsePDK4.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So Ive gone with the SV06 Plus in the end and I should receive it later today.. My Wanhao was really rubbish at printing small delicate things, like it can't print small screw threads very well,, but Im guessing that was mainly down to rubbish cooling... So I hope the SV06 Plus will be better at printing small stuff.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I have had the printer for 1 full day and Im pretty dam impressed, as the prints are soo much better then on my Wanhao.. Plus Im using the Prusa slicer settings that I used on my Wanhao, but just tweaked/changed a few settings.... Im Printing at 80mm/s with small/fragile parts at 15mm/s and bridges at 60mm/s.. Do you think more speed on bridging will solve the sagging with long bridging? I have the fanspeed at 80% and 100% when bridging

u4xwGEh.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ummm is it my printer or is this test print impossible to print out at its actual size... It prints out really well until it starts rocking from side to side and I've printed it a few times, but it always starts to rock as it gets wider. I use a 8mm brim around the base and this keeps it stuck solid to the plate, but it still rocks?.... Ahhh maybe Im suppose to use supports..

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Sorted and it came out almost perfect too... Had to play around with the settings a bit as the"boat benchy" was slightly cracking on the external perimeters... As yous can see theres still slight cracking in the red filiment, but that might be because its old and maybe not very good quality, because theres no cracking in the marble filiment

1yPgbvh.jpg

rFgZwnZ.jpg

Soldato
OP
And here's the 1 with the 16 bridges,, not perfect but not bad either, the right side is a tad scruffy, but that might be down to my table as it tilts slightly that way, also the supports broke off very easily and cleanly... Sorry guys if Im boring you, but theres no way my Wanhao printer can compete with this printer.. I was always envy of other people because they could print out a lot of things that I couldn't and I hated using supports because they would either fall over during a print or stick solid to the print... So its kind of bliss just having a printer that works and works well.

YfITp8u.jpg

WfeRRkb.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I have had the printer for 1 full day and Im pretty dam impressed, as the prints are soo much better then on my Wanhao.. Plus Im using the Prusa slicer settings that I used on my Wanhao, but just tweaked/changed a few settings.... Im Printing at 80mm/s with small/fragile parts at 15mm/s and bridges at 60mm/s.. Do you think more speed on bridging will solve the sagging with long bridging? I have the fanspeed at 80% and 100% when bridging

u4xwGEh.jpg

What I have got too, my first printer.

So far also really happy out of the box. Still getting the odd issue like bad layers sometimes but overall great. Complete newb to proper profiles.though and mostly kept defaults in cura at the moment.

Just got octoprint going and printed box for the pi and now toolbox for the sv06, almost through my first kg of filament!

Back
Top Bottom