• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3DMark DirectX Raytracing Feature Test & Port Royal Bench Thread.

Associate
Yup, just Nvidia marketing. Surprised they're not being sued for fraud.

A canned benchmark also seems like an odd test for DLSS. Surely machine learning will be vastly more effective in a series of endless repeatable, identical scenes as opposed to a human navigating an equivalent 3D environment. Combined with a slightly sub-optimal implementation of TAA and it makes for an odd comparison. I'm glad the TAA vs. DLSS stuff is just a feature demo and not part of the actual benchmark - it does seem like an advert, at best.

Permabanned
Isn't that the entire point of DLSS though, doesn't look as good as SSAA/MSAA but hits higher FPS.

They were testing TAA and comparing it to DLSS, I don't think TAA usually looks that blurred. After looking at this video I went and booted up some games with TAA like SOTTR and it looks a lot better than the blurred image in the benchmark video.

Soldato
Isn't that the entire point of DLSS though, doesn't look as good as SSAA/MSAA but hits higher FPS.

They were testing TAA and comparing it to DLSS, I don't think TAA usually looks that blurred. After looking at this video I went and booted up some games with TAA like SOTTR and it looks a lot better than the blurred image in the benchmark video.

Yes, Nvidia is being misleading in that video. There's clearly some effects added to the video to blur it more as the bench itself doesn't blur to that degree when testing it, which you can tell isn't there in 3dmark's official videos.

The choice of 1440p isn't accidental either, as it's further blurred compared to the tests at 4K. EG: https://youtu.be/YsS10yAxkaU?t=73

Soldato
Hey @Kaapstad

For laughs I ran Port Royal at 4k with max settings

CgDOpLk.jpg

and got a score of 0 (2059 graphics settings)

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/35108887?

I was interested to note that my CPU basically idled and my VRAM usage was 9 GB. I did manage to get double-figure FPS from time to time

i7-8700 stock
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti (stuck) on quiet mode in a x8 slot
Driver: 419.35

UKX9Lhi.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Hey @Kaapstad

For laughs I ran Port Royal at 4k with max settings

CgDOpLk.jpg

and got a score of 0 (2059 graphics settings)

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/35108887?

I was interested to note that my CPU basically idled and my VRAM usage was 9 GB. I did manage to get double-figure FPS from time to time

i7-8700 stock
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti (stuck) on quiet mode in a x8 slot
Driver: 419.35

UKX9Lhi.jpg

Using the same settings as you.
2 RTX Titans overclocked.

29bturl.jpg

Back
Top Bottom