40-45k, what would you buy?

Soldato
Hello everyone,

I'm considering treating myself and upgrading from my Abarth 595 to something new. My budget is around £40-45k, though I could stretch a bit further for something really special. It's easy to get carried away, but I’m trying to stay within that range.

I wouldn’t call myself a petrolhead, and honestly, I've never driven anything close to the kinds of cars I’m looking at in this price range. I am finding things like Jaguar F-Type, Alpine A110, BMW M4, Toyota Supra, Mustang or even Porsche Cayman/Boxster and these seem to be available in this price point on AutoTrader, there is a bit of mix of cars in there I know!

Id like something within the past few years, not anything much older. I of course will need to consider maintenance and/or warranty packages so don't want to go for something old and a potential money sink.

I don't have any strict requirements as such, I am expecting it will mainly be a "weekend" car. I use public transport for commuting, but it does need to be practical enough for general driving around town and capable of handling a grocery run (big or small!) for me and my wife. I play golf, so fitting my clubs in the boot would be ideal, but I could always put them in the passenger seat :D

This feels like my last chance to enjoy a nice, fun car for 12-18 months before possible family commitments come along.

Would love to hear any suggestions or advice!

Last edited:
A 200bhp 2 litre petrol hatchback.

A 530bhp coupe.

What is it you actually want because they are very different in terms of both performance and costs.
I did say there was variety, I have literally just put into Autotrader my budget and just scrolled through things to see what I like the look of. The Audi is probably a couple steps removed from the others though. The costs is what I was looking for some sort of guidance on, I have zero clue what to expect from these cars.

Last edited:
Then why throw a fairly large chunk of money that way?
I am not sure I understand your comment. I have never had a "nice" car in this sense, I am asking for advice. How else should I go about this?

Should I just get a push bike and keep the money in the bank?
But if you're happy with the 200bhp on offer from the Audi then why pay the massive extra cost involved with an M4? You could get a 420i M Sport which would look the same but offer the power and costs of the Audi.
Well I am happy with the looks of it, I haven't driven any of these cars. Extra cost in what way and how much, thats what I am looking for some advice with I guess.
Thanks for the suggestion of an m420i, will take a look. Any particular spec I should be looking at here or do you have any links of anything you have seen?

I am really leaning towards the F-Type at the minute, need to understand more of the costs involved but just in terms of seemingly car for money value ratio. Cayman and Boxster also something a bit more special but again I don't know if they are value for money at this range.

Last edited:
If you're not a petrolhead and you don't understand what a 45k car would even offer you, why have you decided you need/want to spend 45k on a car? :p
It offers me something a lot more premium and nicer than my current car lol. I don't really want to go down the road much further than justifying it because then ill talk myself out of it :cry:

Just feels a bit of a once in a lifetime to get something now whilst i can to enjoy it.

Best thing to do is make a shortlist of what you need the car to do.

Is it just a toy to let loose in or does there need to be a degree of usability to do general life stuff.

What sort of mileage will you be doing? Commuting?
I covered it in the main OP but yeah its a mix really, I would love a toy to let loose in but it is going to be the only car in the household so does need to be sensible to an extent of capable of a bit of shopping, golfing, can fit a couple bags for a weekend trip and so forth. Mileage under 6/7k a year. No commuting for work etc.

Jesus it's a tough crowd in here! I would go and test drive a few, you’ll soon workout what you like, what you don’t and what you want.

When you have a better idea of what you want then you’ll get some more direct advice. For that money I’d go for something like this model

Hah, yeah I think thats definitely what I need to do. I think ive found the shortlist of ones I like and are popping up a lot in this price range, so will take it from there.

Thanks for that suggestion, I have to admit I had been sticking mainly to 3drs just because I think of them as more sporty etc but that is probably a lot more practical with the added sport features and power and even if family commitments change then that would be suitable also!

981 Boxster / Cayman GTS if you want sporty. Bit old now but in reality easy enough to keep in warranty if you want and servicing every 2 years keeps maintenance ok.
F-Type R if you want more of a GT / Muscle car.

Alpine if you want something a bit different, but not so practical.
I think I am looking at 718 Boxster or Cayman in my price range for Porsche. I wil look into the warranty options etc, or I will just ask the question when I go to see some.

A bit over budget but not sure how much negotiation there is in there!

I really do like the F-Type.

Agreed, think Alpine is just a bit too far away from practical and the looks are definitely not growing on me.

Last edited:
You can get a 718 but you really miss the fizz of a 6 cylinder NA engine, it literally defines Porsche. That said, if you're not that fussed about it then the 2.5T feels rapid and is more everyday.
I am not seeing a lot of the 2.5t but will keep an eye out, thanks. Is the 2.0t a no go?

I would go with a M2C personally, if the car had to be fairly new and low mileage. The spare change use for track days and tyres.
I do like the M2C and M4, not a huge fan of the M3. Cheers

Honestly, despite the OcUK Motors traditional desire to get you into the most powerful and least practical option possible, to me it sounds like you'd be perfectly happy with a 430i, A5 etc. around the 250-300bhp mark.

They can look really nice, they're not slow (and certainly not slow in "I'm not a petrolhead" terms), they won't drink fuel, cost fortunes to service/insure/warranty etc. etc. and you could probably get a few more fancy toys/features for the money.
Yes definitely seems the most sensible option which is probably best for me. I will start doing some research on the 430i and A5s to get an idea of what sort of spec etc I would want and ill try find some local so I can check them out.

Was going to suggest an F87 M2, but reading through the thread it seems like a non-M is probably the best best.

Something like an M340/440 is probably the sensible choice here if you want something that's rather quick but also practical.
A Z4 M40 or the equivalent Toyota Supra could be fun if you want a convertible or coupe.
The m340i and m440i is popping up a lot. A lot of options out there also, need to just work out the different spec levels etc.

This is maybe a bit too extreme?

Some 430 options;

Like this colour a lot!

I have a BMW dealers near me so will see what they have in stock and if they have a few options then at least I can see them and test drive etc. Then if I need to travel for the one I pick then thats not an issue!

Last edited:
What do you want from a car? I got an M2 because I wanted an M2 (M4 was too big and also out of budget).
The current generation is a much nicer place to be and the x30i has plenty of poke even though it's a 2 litre.

The fact you're even considering a 430i means that an M4 is complete overkill.
Find a nice green 430i with a funky interior colour and enjoy :)
I initially started with just thinking I want something a lot nicer, faster, fun, bigger than my current Abarth. I know its not very specific but I don't really have any requirement as such.

I need to learn more about the differences between a 430i and M4, costs involved and so on. M4 just sounds cool and I do like the more aggressive look lol.

What do you want from a car? I got an M2 because I wanted an M2 (M4 was too big and also out of budget).
The current generation is a much nicer place to be and the x30i has plenty of poke even though it's a 2 litre.

The fact you're even considering a 430i means that an M4 is complete overkill.
Find a nice green 430i with a funky interior colour and enjoy :)
You do get a lot of car in the 2 series e.g. https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...00&quantity-of-doors=2&year-from=2022&fromsra or https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...00&quantity-of-doors=2&year-from=2022&fromsra and https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...m=30000&price-to=40000&year-from=2020&fromsra

Last edited:
The 430 is a great blend of 'fast enough' for a non-petrolhead in every day use and parsimonious in daily use and on longer runs. I routinely get 45+MPG out of my 428i on motorway runs sitting at about 65.

For something in that price range I think I'd have a hard time turning down something like this: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202408283366534
I do really like the look of the 430.

I looked at the Alfa and I do really like it but think it might just be a bit big but maybe that just my perception of it. Will see if I can find a local one to see.
Personally the Lotus Exige, this one on autotrader.

3.5 V6 S Club Racer Coupe 2dr Petrol Manual Euro 5 (350 ps)
2016 22K miles, full Lotus service history
£41,500
Unfortunately just too far on the non practical scale.

The boot is surprisingly big. You may be able to get golf clubs in it. Or just use the passenger seat (the whole thing even unbolts and comes out in a a few minutes). If not an Evora is a step up in practicality, they'll fit in that.

Finding some for sale near by might be the biggest issue at the moment. People just aren't selling these cars.
I will take a look but it might be a bit extreme for me hah.
Lamborghini Gallardo :)

Or, F-type SVR.
I worry about costs with Lamborghini but maybe that's just my lack of knowledge. I do like the facelift f-type but SVR wouldn't be in my budget on the new one.
Spend slightly more, and look at a Porsche Taycan 4S or similar. Ticks the nice car box, you are still at 400+ BHP, family friendly, already depreciated, maintenance costs are lower as way less to go wrong mechanically. No need to worry about changing oil every time you pop to the gym and back.

Oh, and stacks available used so a bit of a buyers market.
I do like the Taycan. There are a few in my price range, will have to do some research on the spec levels. I hadn't really considered electric!
or go lightweight gr86 https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202408273324324 better investment over 12-18months
Interesting, thanks for the suggestion.
RS3 ? Generally hold good money too.

Yeah I like the RS3, On my list to test drive.
You’ll learn that by driving them - explaining them won’t give you the experience to know if the differences are worth it to you :)
Oh definitely, I plan to do a few in the next several weeks.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Way too many to reply to individually.

The consensus is to go and see things in person and test drive so that's my plan and I'll report back!

A slight curve ball has appeared today. My work have signed up to Octopus EV scheme, so now I've got a pool of EV cars that appear to make a lot of sense financially in terms of tax and nice things such as servicing and insurance being included as well it being brand new!

I need to have a proper look but on the surface of it the BMW i4 for example is available at a very competitive price.

Just mentioning that might get me banned but I wanted to be honest:D:D

No need to ban you, does give the option of a work EV and now 10k to a weekend petrol toy?
hah, well technically I guess so but unfortunately living in London my driveway (fortunate I know!) can only fit one car. I think id struggle to get a parking spot on the road sadly.

Go 2 wheeled and get a sports bike. Plenty of cash leftover :-D
A lot of people have said this to me (away from the forums!)
As someone else has said, you've waded in to a discussion where some of the contributors probably lie awake at night wondering what tyres will perform best at 22deg Celsius around the Carousel at the Nurburgring and can tell you the paint colour codes of every car they've ever owned.

For the average Joe like me, and I assume you, just buy whatever you want. Go drive some cars, do the man-maths and whichever grabs you the most and is affordable, is your answer.

Some great suggestions in here, but as the anoraks have said the M cars come with considerably higher running costs so keep that in mind.
Ha!
Yeah I have to admit I've lurked in this sub forum for years and it's always be interesting to read.

I will definitely go see some in person and do some test drives and understand more about the costs etc involved.

If you're not a petrol head, I'd seriously question what you're doing.

Don't get me wrong, I've had my fair share of fun cars when I was younger, but these days I much prefer the stress-free life that comes with not spunking all my cash on unnecessary stuff. If you aren't a petrol head, then don't become one, because it is an endless money black-hole.

Personally I'd spend that sort money on getting a decent <=20k motor, and the rest on something life-changing and memorable like a once-in-a-lifetime trip somewhere.

Something you'll remember on your deathbed.....no-one's gonna be lying there breathing their last, thinking "I'm so glad I really lived and drove that Audi saloon for 18 months".....
I can see where your coming from. I guess my thinking is 20k isn't going to get me anything that much more than what I have so it's not worthwhile but 40k can get you something exciting and cool (to me) e.g. Porsche, BMW M4 and so on.
Agree, sounds like you wont appreciate the benefits of the sort of cars mentioned and probably will find running costs fustrating
I agree to a certain extent but you can't appreciate what you have never had it. I do agree that Ive probably underestimated the running costs.

It's not just about spending £40-45K on a car though - it's the running costs that come with those kinds of cars you've highlighted. Not all of them are crazy but....

As an example, I'm currently looking to replace my F11 530d Touring - a tyre for that costs around £150 plus fitting for something decent like a Michelin PS4. Swap to an X3 M40d with 21" wheels (which is one thing I've been looking at) and that almost doubles to close to £300 for a Michelin PS4 SUV. Of course you can get cheaper tyres but do you really want to be putting Linglong's on an M4? :D Put an M, RS or AMG badge on it and the service pricing doubles as well or more additional work needs doing at service interval time, or the intervals maybe less. Porsche servicing always seems quite reasonable but if something needs an actual repair, do you have the additional money for the Porsche parts which might be £200-300 more than the run-of the-mill Audi equivalent part.

Ultimately if you have the money for the running costs and potential repair bills down the line then why not but don't under estimate the repair bills some of these cars can throw at you. Even my 530d which has Adaptive Drive suspension kit on it from the factory, if one shock absorber goes, it's a cool £750 just for the part per corner plus fairly hefty labour on top. BMW quoted me £1200 to replace it but fortunately I had an approved used warranty so it was covered and that's on something relatively bog standard.

If you don't have the money every month then you probably need to be putting some of that £45K aside and spending £35-40k instead.
Of course. I appreciate everyone sharing their real world examples of these sorts of things because of course its a whole new thing for me. I definitely was a bit naive going into this search at the beginning but thats exactly why I started this thread. I am not concerned about the money as such but it is definitely something id have to come to terms with stomaching every year.

I appreciate all the suggestions in the last page or so, some great options. I do like the Mustang especially!

Being honest, currently leaning further towards picking up something on my company EV scheme which goes against everything I first looked at but with the costs involved its almost too hard to pass up on. I am looking at under £400 a month for a Tesla m3 (as an example!) for 2yrs, 8k miles and comes with servicing/insurance/tyres/roadside assistance and 4000 miles on a fuel(electric?) card. Really like the look of the BYD Seal, would need to see one in person though!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom