• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

40 Series SUPER Value

Man of Honour
600 quid for +9% more performance according to TPU.

Then posts about getting value for money.
This is quite untrue really, as obviously the value of the 3080 is not gone once replaced. Still, talking £2xx for the performance bump which isn't nothing but it's a new card, with warranty, and very different from £600.

Last edited:
Soldato
This is quite untrue really, as obviously the value of the 3080 is not gone once replaced. Still, talking £2xx for the performance bump which isn't nothing but it's a new card, with warranty, and very different from £600.
If you want to factor in resale value then you also have to factor in the cost of the 3080 to begin with, £650 + £600 spent and £350 back so a total of £900 to end up with a card of this level.

Associate
OP
Wow.
Never have I regretted coming back to a forum like this.
The 3080 was sold for £800. I bought a bargain 3070 but now my Alienware 27" 240Hz needs more frames.
There is logic; you just don't have all the facts. Don't make me quote Michael Jackson.

Man of Honour
If you want to factor in resale value then you also have to factor in the cost of the 3080 to begin with, £650 + £600 spent and £350 back so a total of £900 to end up with a card of this level.
How far do you go with that though bro, do you have to factor in the resale of previous systems etc etc etc?

Soldato
How far do you go with that though bro, do you have to factor in the resale of previous systems etc etc etc?
This is why it’s best not to factor in resale value at all as that is only based on some money recovered from what you’ve previously spent so still a net loss.

If I had bought a 4090 for £1800 on release and then sold it for £1000 and bought a 4080S for £1000 would this card then be classed as free?

Associate
This is why it’s best not to factor in resale value at all as that is only based on some money recovered from what you’ve previously spent so still a net loss.

If I had bought a 4090 for £1800 on release and then sold it for £1000 and bought a 4080S for £1000 would this card then be classed as free?

I agreee, you have to judge every purchase as a standalone, we've all done the "But I sold my x GPU for y pounds so new the new GPU only cost z" - but we all know that's man-maths.

:D

Last edited:
Man of Honour

True, but the cost to *change* is the important thing, which is what was being discussed and what people took issue with, as they said the upgrade value was dependent on what you're coming from. All a bit of a nothing burger I suppose and dependent largely on preference for newer/warranty etc.

Associate
I wouldn't commend any card in the RTX 4000 series on value particularly.

But the RTX 4070 Super does improve on the RTX 4070 quite a bit, in terms of performance. It's still a bit too expensive though, it would win a bit more if the MSRP was £50 cheaper.

I think the problem is that it came a bit too late for many people to be interested - Lots of people will be looking ahead to new generations like RDNA4 that will release at the end of the year.

I agree. As tempting as the 4080S is for me, when it's performance I want rather than need (50-60% more than my current card) I'm much more inclined to wait a year when (hopefully) the same performance will be available for a few hundred less, or the same price will net bigger gains.

The value just isn't there, especially not halfway through a cycle.

Caporegime
Wow.
The 3080 was sold for £800. I bought a bargain 3070 but now my Alienware 27" 240Hz needs more frames.
There is logic; you just don't have all the facts. Don't make me quote Michael Jackson.

So you bought a card with less ram? Why not a 3070 TI Super atleast? :confused:

Associate
Wow.

Don't take my personally my guy, we're a school of starving malnurshed fish waiting for the bite, we have had a bad few years with GPUs and it's now got to the point we find everyting is a joke and we're just biding time.

Though maybe catch up first on the general feeling of how people are reacting to a lineup so not to get that reaction hah.

Kinda like going to an Apple forum and telling them to buy an Android.

Back
Top Bottom