4000d Airflow build log

Associate
Have started building my new PC today to replace my ageing gaming PC. Specs will be:

Corsair 4000d Airflow
Corsair H150i Elite Capellix
3x LL120
ASU’s ROG STRIX B550-f gaming Wi-Fi
AMD 5600x
16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600
Corsair RM850
WD BLUE 1TB NVME
Palit 980GTX - for now! :(

Started today by installing the fans and AIO into the case, general thoughts to follow:

Case
Very impressed with the overall quality, lots of space to work in and lots of places to hide cables. Looking forward to working some more in it.

H150i
Very nice quality and easy to install into the case, fit and finish is good. Comes with a 6 fan/rgb controller as well which is nice.

LL120s
Very similar to the fans on the h150 in terms of look and feel, these have an extra light ring and some rubber ‘feet’ which the fans on the h150 don’t have. They fit nicely in the case and look great.

2269-F6-B8-72-C3-4090-B10-B-7-AA5-FF663887.jpg

I’m waiting for delivery from Overclockers of Motherboard and PSU before I can do any more.

Associate
Great to see. I'm going to order the parts for my build when my GPU is dispatched by OC. More than likely going with the Corsair 4000x so looking forward to see how your build progresses!

Associate
OP
The rest of the parts arrived unexpectedly today (2 days early) so I managed to get the build finished this afternoon.

Thoughts and observations:

the Corsair commander and all the cables from the fans looks daunting but it’s actually really simple to get installed, the 4000d airflow is so well thought out it has holes exactly where you need them for fans and tons of cable tie points, routing cables was actually much simpler than I expected.

This is my first time using AMD (intel for over 20 years of building PCs) and I have to say the mounting mechanism is pretty abysmal, it does the job but it’s so fiddly and easy to mess up, you need 3 hands really, much prefer Intel on this point.

The ASUS Rog b550 oozes quality at every point, the whole board looks and feels premium, very impressed with it. Integrated IO shield is a nice little bonus. I would like to see a post code LCD, my old MSI board had this and was useful for troubleshooting. One thing to note is that this board has no internal USBC header, so I’m currently unable to utilise the USBC port on the front of the case.

On that note, one USB-A port on the front panel is not OK Corsair!!

I used the premium PSU cable kit from Corsair in this build, they look and feel great but overall not really needed, you can barely see the 8 pin connector and the 24 pin is well hidden behind a shroud. The only ones you see are the GPU power cables which do look much better than the included ones.

A couple of things with the motherboard:

when I booted it up for the first time I had no signal on the monitor, no number of reboots fixed it. Turns out I needed to completely remove the GPU, reboot, then shut down and reinstall the GPU, after this it worked fine.

In the bios I turned on DOPC to make sure the ram was operating at the right speed.

I had an issue where the board was refusing to boot straight from the m2 drive (so it seemed) but it tuned out that the option ‘pause on error’ was switched on in the bios, a cpu fan error was triggering this (due to the Commander) so it kept stopping at that point. Switching the setting off solved it.

overall I’m very happy with the build, I think it’s come together nicely and I’m never going to get bored playing with the RGB (if I can fathom iCue (it’s not the easiest). I’ve left room for expansion in the system, I will eventually add a second 2tb NVME and maybe another 16GB of RAM at some point, oh and of course, a new GPU when the world stops falling apart.

Thanks for following!

BBBDE363-C8-EC-4-D8-D-A403-2175101245-FC.jpg

05-BDA37-D-5-C49-40-EB-B771-D211-FFC2-C129.jpg

DA85-C30-C-93-DD-4-EFF-A909-FED725169-E2-F.jpg

2931-CA07-16-E7-45-D0-925-D-76-CF72009-C79.jpg

Associate
The rest of the parts arrived unexpectedly today (2 days early) so I managed to get the build finished this afternoon.

Thoughts and observations:

the Corsair commander and all the cables from the fans looks daunting but it’s actually really simple to get installed, the 4000d airflow is so well thought out it has holes exactly where you need them for fans and tons of cable tie points, routing cables was actually much simpler than I expected.

This is my first time using AMD (intel for over 20 years of building PCs) and I have to say the mounting mechanism is pretty abysmal, it does the job but it’s so fiddly and easy to mess up, you need 3 hands really, much prefer Intel on this point.

The ASUS Rog b550 oozes quality at every point, the whole board looks and feels premium, very impressed with it. Integrated IO shield is a nice little bonus. I would like to see a post code LCD, my old MSI board had this and was useful for troubleshooting. One thing to note is that this board has no internal USBC header, so I’m currently unable to utilise the USBC port on the front of the case.

On that note, one USB-A port on the front panel is not OK Corsair!!

I used the premium PSU cable kit from Corsair in this build, they look and feel great but overall not really needed, you can barely see the 8 pin connector and the 24 pin is well hidden behind a shroud. The only ones you see are the GPU power cables which do look much better than the included ones.

A couple of things with the motherboard:

when I booted it up for the first time I had no signal on the monitor, no number of reboots fixed it. Turns out I needed to completely remove the GPU, reboot, then shut down and reinstall the GPU, after this it worked fine.

In the bios I turned on DOPC to make sure the ram was operating at the right speed.

I had an issue where the board was refusing to boot straight from the m2 drive (so it seemed) but it tuned out that the option ‘pause on error’ was switched on in the bios, a cpu fan error was triggering this (due to the Commander) so it kept stopping at that point. Switching the setting off solved it.

overall I’m very happy with the build, I think it’s come together nicely and I’m never going to get bored playing with the RGB (if I can fathom iCue (it’s not the easiest). I’ve left room for expansion in the system, I will eventually add a second 2tb NVME and maybe another 16GB of RAM at some point, oh and of course, a new GPU when the world stops falling apart.

Thanks for following!

BBBDE363-C8-EC-4-D8-D-A403-2175101245-FC.jpg

05-BDA37-D-5-C49-40-EB-B771-D211-FFC2-C129.jpg

DA85-C30-C-93-DD-4-EFF-A909-FED725169-E2-F.jpg

2931-CA07-16-E7-45-D0-925-D-76-CF72009-C79.jpg

That looks a very nice build, good job. Looking forward to doing mine even more now (everything has been ordered today!!!).

I'm guessing you didn't use the stock case fans since you bought some LL120s? I'm air cooling mine so planning to use stock fans on the front as intakes and 3 exhausts on the top/back (the LL120s). What fans come with the AIO? If they're different to LL120s, have you seen any issues with syncing with the RGB?

Does the commander pro come with the case? Just want to make sure I'd have everything I need!

I'm glad you've mentioned about the cables. I was planning on ordering better looking ones but I think I'll stick to the stock PSU cables for now. I'll just make them "easily" accessible in case I change my mind on the GPU ones.

Really appreciate all the info. Thanks for posting the photos too. Looks great and I bet you can't wait to get a new GPU in there!

Last edited:
Soldato
That looks a nice and tidy build, you must be pleased.
Surprised that such a modern motherboard is missing a USB C header on it, then again more than one USB A port I find more useful.
Even tho it isn't in the spec it almost looks as tho there is enough space to have mounted the 360 AIO in the top rather than the front.
When I had the 5000D case I found that where the PSU fits it was useful to remove the 3.5" cages, good job that I don't use any of those drives in my PC, to gain some more room for the PSU and cables management.
I did find it a little fiddly to remove and clean the dust filter for the PSU as it slid out from the rear and not the front. Not needed to do that often tho so it hardly mattered.

Associate
just finished my build with a 5000x case. Ended up going with the B550 gaming e, as had the front usb c i/o and also little post code display at bottom of board to help with diagnostics...it's built and turns on, but that's as far as I've got so far..haven't even plugged into a monitor yet to see if it boots...that's my next step wheni have time. oh, agree with the aio attachment to cpu...it's c**p and fiddly( what's wrong with 4 corner thumb screws rather than those two fiddly little metal loop screw whatevers). No idea how to post any pics on here otherwise would put a couple photo up of my build somewhere

and sorry, looks awesome, then again I do like the corsair case etc. :cry:

Back
Top Bottom