• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4080 vs 7900XT stability

Associate
Ive had a 5700XT, 1080, 1080ti, 2080ti, 3080, and now a 6900XTX. AMD is a nice value option compared to Nvidia's equivalent, however I find AMD to have more random crashes/hiccups which can sometimes be annoying.

Soldato
Ive had a 5700XT, 1080, 1080ti, 2080ti, 3080, and now a 6900XTX. AMD is a nice value option compared to Nvidia's equivalent, however I find AMD to have more random crashes/hiccups which can sometimes be annoying.

Funnily enough I've had the opposite experience random black screens, flickering windows (driver issues the latter recent) overheating VRM's... yeah that was the 1080. Never had any real issues with AMD cards trolls not withstanding.

Associate
From my experience, it mostly depends on the rest of your rig and there's no rule. I had PC where AMD was more stable, and my 2070S was madly crashing driver when watching YouTube for example. Then my current pc was working great with 6800xt till it didn't anymore - and changing GPU with fresh OS didn't help, as the issue seems to be most likely with monitor compatibility (OLED with gsync module). This PC is stable on Nvidia.

In other words, you never know till your try in your own rig, as there's just way too many variables. You have 14 days to return the product, hence just buy whatever fits you better financially and try it.

Last edited:
Reactions: J.D
Associate
Funnily enough I've had the opposite experience random black screens, flickering windows (driver issues the latter recent) overheating VRM's... yeah that was the 1080. Never had any real issues with AMD cards trolls not withstanding.
Ive had a 6900XT installed on my PC for over 18 months, and Ive experienced a lot more random crashes compared to when I had Nvidia. I sold the 3080 because I wanted more raster performance + I felt a 5800X would pair better due to SAM. When it works it works, but it is not always that way for me. Calling people trolls just because your experience has been different has 0 logic.

Associate
From my experience, it mostly depends on the rest of your rig and there's no rule. I had PC where AMD was more stable, and my 2070S was madly crashing driver when watching YouTube for example. Then my current pc was working great with 6800xt till it didn't anymore - and changing GPU with fresh OS didn't help, as the issue seems to be most likely with monitor compatibility (OLED with gsync module). This PC is stable on Nvidia.

In other words, you never know till your try in your own rig, as there's just way too many variables. You have 14 days to return the product, hence just buy whatever fits you better financially and try it.
What happened to the 6800XT?

Associate
What happened to the 6800XT?
I've tried a different brand but also 6800XT with same results, so I was sure it's something else in my rig and not the GPU. And so I passed over that GPU to a friend, it works great for him whereas for me it just wouldn't stay stable (black screens and driver crashes in least expected moments - almost never in full load, but mostly in idle moments e.g. switching between various windows on my desktop etc.).

Later I found in AMD drivers notes that there's known issue with high refresh monitors (175Hz UW likely qualifies too, bandwidth-wise).

Last edited:
Associate
I've tried a different brand but also 6800XT with same results, so I was sure it's something else in my rig and not the GPU. And so I passed over that GPU to a friend, it works great for him whereas for me it just wouldn't stay stable (black screens and driver crashes in least expected moments - almost never in full load, but mostly in idle moments e.g. switching between various windows on my desktop etc.).

Later I found in AMD drivers notes that there's known issue with high refresh monitors (175Hz UW likely qualifies too, bandwidth-wise).
Im having the same issues on my 6900XT at the moment. Im thinking of switching to a 4080/90 but I feel like Nvidia is pushing it with the prices thig gen.

Associate
Im having the same issues on my 6900XT at the moment. Im thinking of switching to a 4080/90 but I feel like Nvidia is pushing it with the prices thig gen.
Out of curiosity, what monitor do you have? That said, 4090 is WAY overpriced and if I bought it just for games I'd feel like an idiot now, especially that I just can't find new games that would use it well whilst being actually fun to play (and not just visual candy), which is why I stick to older games at the moment...

Last edited:
Associate
Hmm, I checked and at least in latest driver for 6k series it shows as fixed already:
"During video playback and window switching, an intermittent driver timeout or black screen may occur on Radeon™ RX 6000 series GPUs using some 240Hz refresh rate displays or high refresh rate primary display plus low refresh rate secondary display configurations." - this is what I suspect was affecting my GPU as monitor was the only thing I changed before it all started. In theory it shouldn't be affecting yours anymore, if you have that driver version installed (22.11.2).

Soldato
I’d avoid the AMD MBA cards that have some QC issues, both cards are terrible value though and shouldn’t be more than £800 for a 4080 and £700 for a 7900XTX.

Associate
OP
I’d avoid the AMD MBA cards that have some QC issues, both cards are terrible value though and shouldn’t be more than £800 for a 4080 and £700 for a 7900XTX.
I agree but don't think we will see price drops anytime soon, I've been waiting for ages to see if I can get anything cheaper and with the terrible stock issues with the 30 series I never managed to get one

Soldato
I agree but don't think we will see price drops anytime soon, I've been waiting for ages to see if I can get anything cheaper and with the terrible stock issues with the 30 series I never managed to get one
I’d wait a month till Nvidia’s Q1 earnings report since if it’s really bad then I think price cuts will be imminent.

Soldato
All these black screen issues, has anyone tried fixing it by disabling MPO in Windows? I believe this also caused issues with nVidia cards and they issued advice on how to disable it in Windows (which works regardless of GPU).

Associate
All these black screen issues, has anyone tried fixing it by disabling MPO in Windows? I believe this also caused issues with nVidia cards and they issued advice on how to disable it in Windows (which works regardless of GPU).
I haven't tried that with mine, no.

My approach is it either works with all stock settings (bare os and driver) on my hardware, or it's going and something else replaces it. Some people like to spend time and find workarounds but I'm too old for that - it should just work, providing no user error. :)

Soldato
I haven't tried that with mine, no.

My approach is it either works with all stock settings (bare os and driver) on my hardware, or it's going and something else replaces it. Some people like to spend time and find workarounds but I'm too old for that - it should just work, providing no user error. :)
With so many variables on PC, if you want it to "just work", you'll probably have to buy a console if its for gaming!

Associate
With so many variables on PC, if you want it to "just work", you'll probably have to buy a console if its for gaming!
Absolutely not true. Yes, lots of variables, but my computers usually "just work" - as long as I take time reading beforehand what works well with what (like RAM type with Ryzen to achieve proper clocks etc.). It's not THAT complicated. Now and then some undocumented issue happens, but it's rare. We're way better now than we were like 20+ years ago when one had to have much more luck pairing things together, playing with IRQs, choosing proper ISA or PCI slots for various devices, fight with USB 1 shenanigans etc. to make things work. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Absolutely not true. Yes, lots of variables, but my computers usually "just work" - as long as I take time reading beforehand what works well with what (like RAM type with Ryzen to achieve proper clocks etc.). It's not THAT complicated. Now and then some undocumented issue happens, but it's rare. We're way better now than we were like 20+ years ago when one had to have much more luck pairing things together, playing with IRQs, choosing proper ISA or PCI slots for various devices, fight with USB 1 shenanigans etc. to make he things work. :)
Plug & Pray.. Was the best :cry:. I miss the days of setting DMA and IRQs and all the fun of setting up autoexec.bat and all the config files to enable extended memory etc etc.. People don't realise how easy they have it now.

Back
Top Bottom