• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4090 Clock Speed vs. Performance

JNZ

JNZ

Associate
Hi,

I'm still debating how broke I want to be after buying a GPU, and wondered if anyone could give an objective answer to something I've been wondering: how critical is clock speed to GPU performance?

Clock speed and performance is not linear. A 10% increase in clock is not equal to 10% more FPS.

With that said, what is the real-world difference between 2570 MHz clock and 2650 MHz? 2700 MHz?

Asus, for example, seem to charge quite a premium for another 50 MHz to hit 2700 MHz, but other than bragging rights, does this REALLY make a difference???

I admit to having brand loyalty, though recently it appears that could be a bad thing. I avoided the recent issues with motherboards as I haven't upgraded anything in some time.

Looking at the 4090 options available from here, the Gainward Phantom appears to be one heck of a value proposition. The only issue is whether the single HDMI connector is limiting (thinking VR).

The only other question is whether it is still a significant improvement over a 4080 in lesser GPU-intensive games such as MSFS2020?

A major consideration is the 24 Gb VRAM. Can never have too much memory.

It's coming down to:

Is the performance of this card still significant over 4080 Super?

Am I losing anything having single HDMI?

What is the build quality/thermal solution like on these cards? I need my GPU for work, and need something that can survive years of use.

My current Asus ROG Strix 1080 is 6 years old and going strong.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Is the performance of this card still significant over 4080 Super?
If you care about the price you're paying? No.

If you want to get the very best performance at the very highest settings? Yes.

Asus, for example, seem to charge quite a premium for another 50 MHz to hit 2700 MHz, but other than bragging rights, does this REALLY make a difference???
No.

Am I losing anything having single HDMI?
No, you can get adapters if you need one, but most monitors have at least 1 DP.

I need my GPU for work, and need something that can survive years of use.
Assuming that all the components are covered by the heatsink and decently cooled, then the quality of the PCB is just as (if not more) important than the cooler.

This is an example of that:

If you want it to last, I'd consider dialling it down a bit, so that the temperatures are always well under control and the VRM doesn't have to work so hard, but it is always a dice roll how long they last and a cheap one might outlast an expensive one, since you can't predict manufacturing defects on big complex cards that are like mini computers on a stick.

Reactions: JNZ
Back
Top Bottom