4090 laptop GPU is a big jump over 3080ti

Soldato
4 grand, Jesus!

Would love a quick laptop just can’t get my head round spending so much on something that can’t be upgraded.

Soldato
It's a DLSS 3.0 advertorial, its not the first and it probably wont be the last.

The 4090 is gonna be mega but it might be too fast for a 1440p screen, it should be 4080 desktop speed in some scenarios lets see.

Apart from the the resolution, I am more concerned that the Intel CPU's are going to run too hot to feed a 4080 class GPU at full speed, without heat soak or, melting the laptop.

AMD CPU+Laptop 4080 could be the better option.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm looking to get one of these to replace my desktop - I just don't get as much time to sit at my desk and game any more.

I had my eyes set on one but Asus aren't making it for the UK so have to see what the other offerings will be like. I know that video was mostly DLSS 3 bits but It's certainly interesting.

Soldato
More than welcome to join the Alienware R18 thread :D

I want/wanted a 16" model. Still holding out that a sensible Zephryus Duo will release over here but that doesn't have the full power.

Years, and years, ago I had an M14x R2. Think it was the 3GB GT555m with the 1600x900 screen. Loved it at the time but Alienwares look a bit too gamery for my taste

Soldato
The guy is dancing to the rules Nvidia specified when giving him the laptop to "review"/advertise pre-launch and is extremely limited in any criticism or fair comparisons he might have wanted to do.

Jarrod'sTech said:
To everyone saying the comparison is not fair - all the arguments for this are already layed out in the video, and I agree. This is not a true apples to apples comparison, that was not allowed this early. Come back for that in a couple weeks when it's allowed. Like I said, it's a comparison of the best tech from last gen vs the best tech from this gen, and that includes DLSS which is a good feature these days that most people with NVIDIA graphics seem to find worthwhile using in games. If you want to see some non DLSS stuff, best option here is to skip to the blender results.

This is only slightly better than a presentation direct from the manufacturer. It's a third party doing a presentation under instruction from the manufacturer :p

Soldato
Once we get proper reviews that compare Apples to Apples we should get a better understanding of the true uplift. Power limits are going to be very interesting this generation, especially with how wide the windows seem to be (down to 35w for the 70 tier GPU). I can only guess that Nvidia are leaning very heavily on DLSS 3.0, especially on lower tier models, to make up for a relative lack of RAW GPU grunt, at least compared to their higher tier brethren.

I did find it interesting though that the focus wasn't on raw performance uplift and rather the Frame Generation. I would have expected there to at least have been one example of x% uplift like for like.

Right now I am more interested in when the refreshes come out (ala 3070Ti/3080Ti with new CPU's) and especially what AMD can bring to the table CPU wise.

For now my Legion 7 with its nicely overclockable max TGP 3080 will suffice for 1440UW. :)

Soldato
Jesus wept it is £4800 for the Zephryus Duo.

I really hope we get the 4090 Scar with miniLED display here in the UK but it's. It on the OCUK website. Sad.

Soldato
Cheapest 4080 is £2249, so be good to see how much a difference between the 4090, although need to see reviews first. Still prefer the Lenovo models as their cooling actually does seem to work properly unlike some.

Soldato
The MSI 4070 Raider QHD looks good on paper, the design is similar to the Alienware products and I like the fact it has a 1080p camera. The Gigabyte and Asus models seem stuck at 720p.

I have an open mind about the 4080 and 4090 mobile parts but I think its just going to be a throttle fest.

Soldato
I've gone around the houses trying to decide what I want.

Originally wanted the Asus Zephyrus Duo but the £4800 price tag and only 160w 4090 put me off....
Then I had settled on the Asus Scar 16 but then realised that the 4090 version wasn't coming to the UK with the Nebula HDR mini-led display...
Decided I could go the Razer route as the Blade 16 was the right on the money with what I wanted with regards to TGP-4090, Mini-LED display and 16"... but then one look at Razer's history of customer service has put me right off.

I think I'm going to end up with an Alienware but I really hate how gamer it looks and the screen sounds a bit lacklustre

Last edited:
Soldato
I've changed my mind again. Set a notification for the Blade16 at OCUK.

Quite excited. Going to find somewhere to sell my desktop as I won't be using it at all now

Soldato
I've gone around the houses trying to decide what I want.

Originally wanted the Asus Zephyrus Duo but the £4800 price tag and only 160w 4090 put me off....
Then I had settled on the Asus Scar 16 but then realised that the 4090 version wasn't coming to the UK with the Nebula HDR mini-led display...
Decided I could go the Razer route as the Blade 16 was the right on the money with what I wanted with regards to TGP-4090, Mini-LED display and 16"... but then one look at Razer's history of customer service has put me right off.

I think I'm going to end up with an Alienware but I really hate how gamer it looks and the screen sounds a bit lacklustre

Yeah, reading around their rep isn't good. Normally blaming the consumer.

Just hazarding a guess that the 18" model will fair better as it has an extra fan in the middle of the battery whereas the 16" has none.

Soldato
Yeah, reading around their rep isn't good. Normally blaming the consumer.

Just hazarding a guess that the 18" model will fair better as it has an extra fan in the middle of the battery whereas the 16" has none.

Yeah I don't want to go 18". I'll go 16" and just hope the thicker chassis makes the battery issue a bit less of an issue.
What is annoying is that if I buy the laptop from OCUK, which I'm likely to do, I can't buy the additional Razer Care. You have to buy it directly through them in order to get that

It's just the only laptop that is ticking all the boxes I want. I am looking forward to getting it though

Soldato
Holy **** the Legion 7 Pro with a spec that would be materially better than my 5800H/3080 (165w) Legion 7 (13900H something or other / 4080) is £3,499.

What the actual...

Soldato
Jarrod just got a 4060/70/80/90 delivery of laptops (lucky) interested to see what the performance will be like

Going to be ordering one tomorrow but will keep it boxed until the performance embargo is lifted

Back
Top Bottom