4090 laptop GPU is a big jump over 3080ti

Soldato
The most annoying thing is the review embargo, releasing high spec machines first, with no idea how much better they are compared to the 4050/60/70s. At least it doesn't seem to have worked the 4080s/90s are all in stock everywhere so no need to rush until a fuller picture is available as to what exactly you get for the extra £1000 for the 80s and 90s compared to the lower spec performance. Guess we'll start to find out tomorrow.

Even then i don't think too many review machines have gone out as very few actual reviews are coming out for these machines. I'd like to know what the difference between the I7s and I9s is with the 4080 for example, I'd like to see what you get for 200 quid price difference. From the limited timespy stats it seems like not a lot, a couple of %. But things like thermals might be different, i'd pay the 200 quid if it ran cooler/quieter of vice versa if the I7s were cooler/quieter i'd happily sacricfice the 1% performance in day to day usage.

Associate
Poking around 3dMark this is interesting...

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/35857640/spy/35891943/spy/35302640#

It looks like direct comparison between MSI Raider 17" GE78 with 4080s and either I7-13700HX or I9-13950HX vs last years GE77 with 3070ti. For comparison you are looking at £3400, £3600 vs £2450ish.

What's interesting about the GE78s is that the I7 looks like a better/equal to the I9 performance, as i speculated the I7 seems to run cooler, with the joint pipe cooling this seems to give the GPU a bit more room to work.

Looks like the 4080s have about 33% increase over the 3070ti system which is not bad (even if it costs a grand more!) (considering the 4080 is really the old 3070 replacement and 4090 is the 3080).

Interesting to see more data on the I9 vs I7s as for gaming the i9 might well be overkill.

I guess we can see on wednesday (maybe) how the same chassis looks with the 4070 in it. Will be interesting to see if it can compare with the 3070ti, i think it will be lower than the 3070ti (except under DLSS3).

Last edited:
Soldato
As far as laptops go, i don't think most people need 4k performance which pushes desktops, who really needs a laptop to dock on a desk and attach a 4k monitor, i'd imagine 95% of people just use the laptop screen on their laptop which seems to have setttled on 1600p as the optimum.

I can't speak for anyone else but myself but I've pre-ordered a 4090 laptop (though the delay is rather annoying) for some personal reasons that make it seem like a sensible (LOL) choice to self. I'm having to get rid of my desktop due to space reasons and I didn't really want to get a laptop that would feel like a downgrade from my desktop (i7/RTX3090) and it looks like the mobile RTX4090 offers more or less the same performance as my desktop with the benefit of having DLSS3. A majority of the time I will be playing directly on the laptop (which pains me as I'll be missing my 38" 21:9 display) but there will be occasions where I'll use the 65" TV in our living room.

It does appear that the 4080 would probably be the better value and choice but I'm already a bit annoyed I have to get rid of my desktop and monitor so I'd be even more annoyed if it wasn't at least matching what I'm used to. Though I suppose the fact I'm selling both means it takes the sting out of the price

Soldato
The AMD vs Intel laptop CPU's are starting to trickle in and my suspicions seem to be valid. the AMD chips are about 20% better in terms of power draw.

Cost aside, an AMD 7945HX with a 4090 seems the way to go.

Associate
I can't speak for anyone else but myself but I've pre-ordered a 4090 laptop (though the delay is rather annoying) for some personal reasons that make it seem like a sensible (LOL) choice to self. I'm having to get rid of my desktop due to space reasons and I didn't really want to get a laptop that would feel like a downgrade from my desktop (i7/RTX3090) and it looks like the mobile RTX4090 offers more or less the same performance as my desktop with the benefit of having DLSS3. A majority of the time I will be playing directly on the laptop (which pains me as I'll be missing my 38" 21:9 display) but there will be occasions where I'll use the 65" TV in our living room.

It does appear that the 4080 would probably be the better value and choice but I'm already a bit annoyed I have to get rid of my desktop and monitor so I'd be even more annoyed if it wasn't at least matching what I'm used to. Though I suppose the fact I'm selling both means it takes the sting out of the price

I ended up getting an MSI Raider GE78 NVIDIA RTX 4080, 32GB, 17" QHD+ 240Hz, Intel i7-13700HX. I like the MSIs and my previous raider has been solid, and been handed down. Have to say i've been amazed how it performs, at 1600p it really doesn't seem to be taxed very often. Will see how it handles starfield later in the year (maybe) but for things like cyberpunk it just does it's stuff, everything on ultra, with DLSS3 at 1600p it's well over 60-FPS and if you stick frame gen on it's over 100 in balanced mode with barely audible. The GPU hardly seems to get above 75C even in benchmarking test of 3DMark. I was playing Wow and noticed it was hitting 300P FPS in dungeons, which is just stupid high and uneccessary so reduced max frame rates to 144 and it runs so cool, at one point i was sitting AFK waiting on a mount rare spawn so just maxxed it to 60FPS and the GPU utilisation was about 25%, it was like running an office client, fans not really running.

It definately seems the 4080/4090 chips can run solid 60 FPS with ease and it makes or a comfortable laptop to use, no need for max fans, just nice and quiet if all you want is solid 60-100 FPS.

Last edited:
Soldato
Got my blade today. Happy with the performance in such a small machine!

Though gaming on a 16" screen feels very very to different gaming on a 38" one!

Last edited:
Soldato
How are you finding it after its first week ?

Really liking it. It actually blows my desktop out of the water from a performance perspective (it was an i7 9700K, RTX3090 and 16GB RAM) scored something like 15,000 on 3DMark Time Spy benchmark. This laptop gets just under 21K. which means I can keep using my monitor on the occasions I'm able to.

I mostly got it as I wasn't really able to game in the evenings but now I can and I am happy I replaced my desktop with it

Back
Top Bottom