440i coupe opinions pls ????

Associate
I am new to the 4 series, currently in a 2014 535D F11 MSport estate. Toying with the idea of something different.

I really like the look of the 4 series coupe, 440i MSport. Quite a few fully loaded ones 2018-2019 on the BMW used site at reasonable money.

What is the 440i like for real world petrol consumption and road tax? Anyone know????? What are extended warranty costs like on the 4? Are they outrageous like they are on the 5 series?

Any "must have" features? My personal must have's are HUD, heated seats, folding Mirrors, ProNav, Cruise Control, parking sensors front and rear. Reversing camera is nice but can live without that.

Am I crazy to think of coming down from the 5 series? I am finding I do not need such a big car any more and I am thinking I should get away from diesel.

I am coming up for front pads and disk renewal and four new tyres. I can save myself £1500 towards the cost of the newer car from that if I get rid now. Also a grand of extended warranty I wont have to pay. That is night on a quarter of the upgrade costs.

Appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Soldato
I am coming up for front pads and disk renewal and four new tyres. I can save myself £1500 towards the cost of the newer car from that if I get rid now. Also a grand of extended warranty I wont have to pay. That is night on a quarter of the upgrade costs.

Thinking you’re saving money, by spending even more money on a change of car is particularly bad man-maths, I’ve been guilty of this in the past.

My advice is to be sure of your reasons to change and what you want to achieve by doing so.

Soldato
Only that 18/19 models are mostly the same car that came out in early 2012 and the interior was starting to look dated.

Man of Honour
i'm assuming you're looking at the F3x 4 series, rather than the newer G2x?

I've got a F36 440i GC and have sat as a passenger in my friends 520d - so direct comparison of interior
The interior is definitely better in the F1x 5 series when compared to the F3x, so be prepared for this if you do want to downsize
I've got the adaptive LED headlights, adaptive suspension, HUD, F/R parking sensors + camera, HK audio/pro nav/M sport brakes (comes as a package), auto dimming/folding mirrors and Apple carplay
Heated seats are standard on the F3x 4 series IIRC
I my "nice-to-have options but don't really need" would be the full digital dials, adaptive cruise control and M sport power and sound kit

Road tax = £150 (+ £325 premium tax for first 5 years)
Motorway = 30-35 mpg
"Literally" full urban = 20-24 mpg

but as mentioned above...really bad man maths and probably would second the thought of sticking with your current 535d

Edit: if you have the nappa/merino leather in your current car...the dakota leather will feel like crap

Last edited:
Caporegime
Extended leather makes the interior look and feel far more premium than the standard "soft-touch" dashboard.

440i-int-1.jpg

440i-int-2.jpg

440i-int-3.jpg

I averaged 22.4MPG this morning on a round-trip to the hospital (about half an hour each way a combination of NSL dual-carriageway, 50MPH dual-carriageway and about 1/3rd of the journey on local 30MPH roads with stop-start due to traffic lights). Granted my car is slightly heavier than the coupé owing to the folding roof, but I don't think you'll see too different consumption figures.

The extended warranty however is very reasonable for the performance on offer.

Man of Honour
This is not a credible move in my opinion. The 5 Series is a better car in most ways - as you'd expect given the 4 Series is a coupe version of the 2012 model 3 Series. The 5 Series was more expensive.

The engine in the 440i is better for a low mileage user than that in your 535d, but it's not like you don't currently have a great engine. When the new car novelty wears off you'll be left with a car that is of the same generation as your 5 Series but with an inferior, cheaper interior. Again, this is not to say the 4 Series is bad, its just.. beneath the 5 Series in the model range and feels like it.

Then we look at price. A 2019 440i is still the same platform as a 2012 3 Series. It's dated now and yet a 2019 car is big money.

Instead, I would look at a 2019 3 Series. This is a whole generation newer and a much fresher car which has been completely redesigned. It is objectively better than the previous model in virtually every way and has many key upgrades the 4 Series will not have over a 5 Series. The new 3 Series is brilliant and feels like a small 5 Series whereas the older 3/4 Series felt like a big 1 Series.

Road tax wise you'll be paying the higher rate mega tax as its after 2017 and had a list price of greater than 40k.

Back
Top Bottom