450 miles in minibus = £?? diesel?

VTR

VTR

Soldato
Agreed to take 16 of the boys to see the football next week and it's going to be a round trip of 450 miles in a minibus (Swansea - Wigan).

Roughly how much is this going to cost me in diesel?

They're giving me £400 for doing the trip, £98 to rent the minibus but not sure how much diesel is going to set me back?

Bat

Bat

Associate
I'd say roughly £115. I reckon you'd be looking at about 20MPG. Roughly £5/gallon.

450x5/20=112.5

You did say roughly :)

Soldato
Check out the small print on hiring a 17 seater first, Some insist on a high minimum age

to hire a 17 seat minibus you must have category D1 on your licence and held a full licence for a period of at least two years. If you passed your test after 1 January 1997 you would not be given this category.Minibus hire - driver age requirements. Drivers must be aged over 30 yrs and under 70 yrs.

Soldato
A transit based minibus will do around 25mpg on a run.

If you have passed your test post 97 you can only drive a minibus if you are not doing it for reward unless you have sat the D1 test however I found very few rental companies will rent you a minibus in these circumstances.

Soldato
I've got my minibus test coming up, our ones hold about 20 people. Apparently you just get a little certificate and nothing changes on your DL though? This is all for work?

Man of Honour
You will make a considerable profit here therefore unless you have taken an additional test your license does not allow you to drive on this trip.

VTR

VTR

Soldato
OP
Cheers for the advice. I'm 24 and passed my test when I was 18, if I wasn't to do this for a profit then I am legally covered to drive the minibus? It's Days rental that I rang, they booked it in fine for me and didn't ask age or whether it was for profit etc

Soldato
Cheers for the advice. I'm 24 and passed my test when I was 18, if I wasn't to do this for a profit then I am legally covered to drive the minibus? It's Days rental that I rang, they booked it in fine for me and didn't ask age or whether it was for profit etc

Well they say on thier website.......

Minibus (9 seats and over, including the drivers) and Camper Vans
Hirers/ Drivers must be aged 25 or over

AND you need the D1 on your licence. So it looks unlikely that you will be making a profit anyway ;)

Associate
You will not need the D1 unless it is for commercial purposes...i.e. making money from driving people around.

This is a slightly different position to be in, but it could be seen as a grey area. Taking profit etc etc.

And...you will struggle to get insurance under 25, we frequently use a minibus for the band touring...never got insurance under 25 for a reasonable cost. Hire companies would be better to ask as they will provide the answer quicker than it has taken to write this sentence.

And...the last bus we had was limited to 60. Annoying but the economy was the best ever experienced in such a vehicle. Still under 25mpg.

Just take the outlay costs from them, if any more is received as a donation then I think it would be fine.

Associate
However, getting insurance on a rental will be the tough bit under 25.

You hit the nail on the head

http://www.daysrental.co.uk/age-limits.aspx

Minibus (9 seats and over, including the drivers) and Camper Vans
# Hirers/ Drivers must be aged 25 or over
# Must have held a full licence for at least 2 years

NB- Vehicles with less than 9 seats, including the driver's seat, are considered cars.

And they will check your licence, sorry, but you are out of luck :(

VTR

VTR

Soldato
OP
Cheers for the advice, lucky I checked as days asked no details when I booked . 25min age with days and need the d1 license for the 16 sestet unless you passed your license before 97'

Back
Top Bottom