£450ish 5600X/3060Ti/16GB upgrade options for Tarkov

Associate
Evening all.

It's that time again, the itch is here. Started off with a simple plan to double my RAM, and it's now developed into an upgrade.

My current system:
Ryzen 5 5600X CPU
3060 Ti Founders Edition GPU
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000MHz DDR4 RAM
ASRock B450M-HDV AMD Socket AM4 Motherboard
Adata XPG SX8200 480GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe
Corsair RM850X PSU
DeepCool CAPTAIN 120 EX White AIO Extreme Silent Cooler

I mainly play Tarkov at 1440p. I'm currently getting between 50-80 FPS depending on the map, however with the recent release of the latest patch which includes the resource hog monster that is the Streets map, my system is starting to struggle. Side effects include having to wait a minute or so for second long stutters every 5 or 6 seconds to go away, it takes forever (about 2 minutes) to go from end of raid to main menu, I get random FPS drops, and basically I want Streets and the game to run smoother and better because I bloody love it.

I've been looking at getting the 5800X3D and new RAM which would mean keeping the current motherboard. I've seen some Tarkov content creators waxing lyrical about this processor and I've seen huge FPS increases.

I would obviously sell the 5600X and RAM.

Would this be a decent upgrade? Should I be looking at a new motherboard? I know that AM5 is out but prices are still too high, especially for DD5. I would even consider switching to Intel if it was within my budget and met the performance requirements.

Opinions?

Many thanks!

P.S. Ironically, it's Tarkov which caused my last upgrade, from Ryzen 5 2600 and 1070 Ti to the current setup, and 2 years later, it's Tarkov which is causing my next upgrade :cry:

P.P.S I think that upgrade is actually one of the last things I posted about here haha! https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/ryzen-5-2600-upgrade-to-keep-up-with-3060ti.18925990/

Last edited:
Associate
That would seem like a sensible upgrade. I haven't played tarkov for about a year but worth checking that the 3060ti isn't running out of RAM on this game as I know it can suck all the resources it can. I switched from a vega 56 to a 6800rx and it ran super smooth with my 5900x and 32gb ram but I don't have the latest update so can't report back on how well it's running with streets. Love this game but man is it hard and at 46 I don't have a lot of friends who game anymore and the ones that do are on PS5.

Associate
OP
Update: After a week of research, I think it makes more long term sense to switch to Team Blue. I'm 99% going for an i5 13600KF build with a B760 (Gigabyte DS3H) motherboard instead.

Associate
Update: After a week of research, I think it makes more long term sense to switch to Team Blue. I'm 99% going for an i5 13600KF build with a B760 (Gigabyte DS3H) motherboard instead.
i'd reconsider
Watched a yt of someone wyo upgraded to 5800x3d with tarkov, he had a big uplift in fps...
as for 13600..7600x beats it in 16 game av on HU...cpu is chaper than 13600 i think, so all balances out..and where's the upgrade path on 13th gen intel..it's dead. AM5, you'll be able to drop a new cpu a few years down the line and off you go

Associate
OP
i'd reconsider
Watched a yt of someone wyo upgraded to 5800x3d with tarkov, he had a big uplift in fps...
as for 13600..7600x beats it in 16 game av on HU...cpu is chaper than 13600 i think, so all balances out..and where's the upgrade path on 13th gen intel..it's dead. AM5, you'll be able to drop a new cpu a few years down the line and off you go
It was Gigabeef's video that first got me interested in the 5800X3D, if that's the one you're referring to. And yes, the performance increase was huge but AM4 is end of life. 13th gen Intel is months old. I'm not spending 250+ on a motherboard and the stupid amounts DDR5 is going for. I'm not sure what you mean by "HU" but the 13600K came out on top in every single benchmark video I watched?

Associate
It was Gigabeef's video that first got me interested in the 5800X3D, if that's the one you're referring to. And yes, the performance increase was huge but AM4 is end of life. 13th gen Intel is months old. I'm not spending 250+ on a motherboard and the stupid amounts DDR5 is going for. I'm not sure what you mean by "HU" but the 13600K came out on top in every single benchmark video I watched?
Hardware unboxed...goto 13mins 48 for gaming av..you also have to factor to get better performance from 13600 you need ddr5 ram also, and the intel needs faster ram to run faster, whereas amd doesn't so the ram you buy will be more expensive going with the intel..recent price per frame puts amd ahead on intel now, as ddr5 has come down in price and so have mobo's..just get a b650 board...but didn't see your budget...13600 is good, just think you'll end up in same boat in future

Associate
OP
...just think you'll end up in same boat in future
This is the nature of the game, isn't it? :cry:

What did you mean by intel 13th gen being dead?

Basically right now, I can get a 1360KF, Gigabyte B760 DS3H mobo, 32gb 3600 DDR4 and an AiO for less than £550, whereas I think I'd be spending considerably more by switching to AM5.

Man of Honour
This is the nature of the game, isn't it? :cry:

What did you mean by intel 13th gen being dead?

Basically right now, I can get a 1360KF, Gigabyte B760 DS3H mobo, 32gb 3600 DDR4 and an AiO for less than £550, whereas I think I'd be spending considerably more by switching to AM5.
Dead just mean it end of life no more cpu coming for that socket.

Not trying to convince you as there's merrit on both sides but here's a cost comparison if you do consider AM5.

My basket at OcUK:
Total: £570.47 (includes delivery: £10.50)​

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Dead just mean it end of life no more cpu coming for that socket.

Not trying to convince you as there's merrit on both sides but here's a cost comparison if you do consider AM5.

My basket at OcUK:
Total: £570.47 (includes delivery: £10.50)​
Sorry maybe I'm just being a boomer here, but isn't every single CPU, "dead"? LGA 1700 is a new socket and 13th gen has only been out a few months and it's already being called end of life? It can't be more EoL than a 5800X3D, which is what I was originally looking at getting. That is the last viable AM4 CPU ever released, but there will be other LGA 1700 CPUs released and until then I can carry on using DDR4.

I appreciate you coming up with those components but that's already over the budget I originally had in mind and doesn't include a decent cooler.

Associate
Sorry maybe I'm just being a boomer here, but isn't every single CPU, "dead"? LGA 1700 is a new socket and 13th gen has only been out a few months and it's already being called end of life? It can't be more EoL than a 5800X3D, which is what I was originally looking at getting. That is the last viable AM4 CPU ever released, but there will be other LGA 1700 CPUs released and until then I can carry on using DDR4.

I appreciate you coming up with those components but that's already over the budget I originally had in mind and doesn't include a decent cooler.
No. Its not the cou that's dead, but the socket.
My recommendation is get the 5800x3d. From the vid above it performs better than the 13600k and you already have a motherboard that can take it.
13th gen 13600k is new, yes, but 13th gen motherboard is socket 1700 which was released for 12th gen alderlake. 14th gen cpu's will be on a different socket board, so any upgrade will require a new motherboard. Already you can see though with 13th gen CPU, it runs better with ddr5.
Am5 is the new and platform. 7600x is the new CPU that fits it, and next month will be the new x3d versions of the correct CPU...look at the difference between the 5800x and 5800x3d and you'll get an idea of maybe the uplift the new cpu's will have in gaming(the hardware unboxed vid above hassall the older cpu's on there including your 5600x). Now after that, you'll the next gen oen of AMD cpu's so the 9600x, 9700x 9900x and 9950x(if naming stays same..ie 3600x to 5600x to 7600x), and these too will go on the am5 motherboard...so am5 is not dead, as gives you an upgrade path beyond current CPU, whereas Intel z790 doesnt...13th gen is as good as it gets...the only improvement from the 13600k will be a 13700k or 13900k...that's it. So why bother changing...so why buy new motherboard for a dead end upgrade...might as well stick to 5800x3d then

Last edited:
Associate
Got a comparable pc, you running dlss/fsr? using either of them caused stuttering on my system, binaural audio was also causing stutter ( apparently patched today ), the game is hilariously unoptimized.

Associate
OP
No. Its not the cou that's dead, but the socket.
My recommendation is get the 5800x3d. From the vid above it performs better than the 13600k and you already have a motherboard that can take it.
13th gen 13600k is new, yes, but 13th gen motherboard is socket 1700 which was released for 12th gen alderlake. 14th gen cpu's will be on a different socket board, so any upgrade will require a new motherboard. Already you can see though with 13th gen CPU, it runs better with ddr5.
Am5 is the new and platform. 7600x is the new CPU that fits it, and next month will be the new x3d versions of the correct CPU...look at the difference between the 5800x and 5800x3d and you'll get an idea of maybe the uplift the new cpu's will have in gaming(the hardware unboxed vid above hassall the older cpu's on there including your 5600x). Now after that, you'll the next gen oen of AMD cpu's so the 9600x, 9700x 9900x and 9950x(if naming stays same..ie 3600x to 5600x to 7600x), and these too will go on the am5 motherboard...so am5 is not dead, as gives you an upgrade path beyond current CPU, whereas Intel z790 doesnt...13th gen is as good as it gets...the only improvement from the 13600k will be a 13700k or 13900k...that's it. So why bother changing...so why buy new motherboard for a dead end upgrade...might as well stick to 5800x3d then
Hmmm, well thanks a lot for clearing that up.

I was intending on upgrading in a couple of weeks. By that time the new AMD 3D CPUs could be out? In which case it would make much more sense going for AM5. But they could cost loads too, as well as the motherboards. Damnit this is a tough upgrade. My last upgrade was so much clearer and obvious :rolleyes:
:cry:

Associate
OP
Got a comparable pc, you running dlss/fsr? using either of them caused stuttering on my system, binaural audio was also causing stutter ( apparently patched today ), the game is hilariously unoptimized.
Oh I turned binaural off weeks ago and gained like 20 FPS. It was ridiculous.

I haven't tried DLSS/FSR no and don't really know much about them, other than some streamers complaining that it made their game look crap?

I'd say Streets is hilariously poorly optimised. A streamer I watch did a test on Streets last week, and his 3090 was being used between 1% and 20%...

Soldato
I get random FPS drops, and basically I want Streets and the game to run smoother and better because I bloody love it.

The first thing to do is find out where your bottleneck lies. So fire up Afterburner / Rivatuner and check CPU and GPU usage. There's no point upgrading the CPU if your bottleneck is VRAM, for instance.

If your bottleneck turns out to be the GPU and you play at Ultra or High settings, try turning the graphics settings down to High or Medium and see if you really notice the difference in play.

Back
Top Bottom