• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4670k vs 4770

Soldato
hey guys,

I'm thinking of changing my processor, here's why..

I am running a 4670k on a motherboard not designed for overclocking and I'm not fussed about it much really anyway, so in thinking..

Upgrade to a 4770 non k version as I can't really Overclock, and next time I change the motherboard will be when changing platform and cpu anyway as I'm not just purchasing a new motherboard to oc a little bit on the 4670k.

Will the i7 help my gaming and productivity a lot compared to the i5?

los

los

Associate
Depends how much your expecting to pay really. Gaming you will only see a difference on well multithreaded games, there aren't that many at the moment but there are some and certainly improves minimums. Productivity, that depends on what your using it on tbh.
Personally I'd wait for Ryzen before you do anything. It might be worth selling your setup to change, all depending on prices and performance obviously. Worst case you might be able to get a cheap 4770 if someone else upgrades.

Soldato
Yeah, zero point in upgrading just now. The value of Haswell CPU's will plummet when Ryzen drops, so long as their performance is comparable.

Of course, this also means you will have missed your chance at a reasonable return for your 4670k. But I do expect the value of the 4th Gen i7's will take a pretty tumble. Which is why I have no plans to sell my 4770k.

Soldato
OP
Hey guys,

quick update, changing my whole system around is a no go, so I have to work with what i have, eg. only upgrading the CPU on the 1150 socket. would the 4790 non K version (again not ocing anyway) be a significant option upgrade from the 4670K?

Soldato
I wasn't suggesting swapping out the whole system btw.

I'm not a gamer, but from what I understand, there is little difference in most games between i5 & i7. I do video encoding though, and there are huge gains to be had with the hyperthreading, hence having a 4770k myself. I also haven't overclocked mine as a result of the board. But I did recently buy a newer z97 board for a little bit of tinkering as it will be relegated to a second system once Ryzen launches.

Associate
Hey guys,

quick update, changing my whole system around is a no go, so I have to work with what i have, eg. only upgrading the CPU on the 1150 socket. would the 4790 non K version (again not ocing anyway) be a significant option upgrade from the 4670K?

Grabbing a 4790k might be a pretty decent option for you,even without ocing you would get a decent boost in Single core performance due to clock speeds(good for gaming) and HT is obviously good for your productivity.After ryzen drops haswell I7's should take a hefty hit on resale value,no doubt some bargins to be had

Soldato
OP
Grabbing a 4790k might be a pretty decent option for you,even without ocing you would get a decent boost in Single core performance due to clock speeds(good for gaming) and HT is obviously good for your productivity.After ryzen drops haswell I7's should take a hefty hit on resale value,no doubt some bargins to be had
Yeah, I think I will need to upgrade the CPU as today in BF1 I was dipping into the LOW 50's and my GPU was hardly at 70% usage and my CPU getting hammered, I need to do something *sigh* FML.

Soldato
OP
Cheaper option is to buy a new MB and OC :) Should be able to get to at least 4.2
Hi mate, I was just about to ask that as I was thinking...could I not upgrade the case and fit a overclockable mobo to the current 1150 CPU. I have a good Corsair AIO and wondered if I oc'ed to over 4ghz would that make a big difference to my FPS from the CPU throttling atm?

Associate
OC is always a gamble of course but a 4670 should be able to get to at least 4.2 with little tweaking. As for CPU usage - I'd probably look at a few benchmarks for the games you play - if they like more cores it may not be the best option. However most likes high speed on few cores rather than multi core.

Back
Top Bottom