• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4770k to Ryzen 2600 worth the change?

Soldato
Hey guys sorry if it has been asked a million times before but would this change be an upgrade?

Basically a friend has offered me £400 for the following :

Intel i7 4770k Overclocked to 4.5ghz
16GB Avixor 1600mhz DDR3
Gigabyte motherboard ( Can't remember off the top of my head but its a top one )
Spare 240GB SSD + Spare Headset.

Looking at the prices of Ryzen this seem like a good deal and a potential to upgrade for free? it would be coupled with a 1080ti for 2560 x 1440 60fps gaming. Now I know i will be getting 2 extra cores with Ryzen but will frame rates be as good in games which only utilise 4 cores?

I was thinking of getting the following :

AMD Ryzen 5 Six Core 2600 3.90GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail

Team Group Vulcan T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit - Gre

MSI B450M Gaming Plus (Socket AM4) DDR4 mATX Motherboard

Total order value

£337.97*

Now would the above be fine as is or should i look at either a better motherboard for overclocking/gaming performance? Alternatively is it worth paying more for the 2600x or can you simply overclock the 2600 to 2600x speeds and beyond. Ideally i would like to keep the total to £400 but could pay a little more if buying a better motherboard + a 2600x would result in a decent increase in performance.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's a side grade at best, but if you are at 60Hz then there's little difference to worry about. It is a good way to get on an upgradable platform for no real cost to you.

2600X and a slightly better board and spend £10 more on 3000MHz RAM

Edit: Ignore me RAM is already 3000MHz.

Soldato
would push the 1700x personally . if you going to upgrade - go for core count and longevity .
£200

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/amd-...hz-socket-am4-processor-retail-cp-39w-am.html

does depend on the games you play, at 1440p intel loses the edge compared to 1080p but if your needing to maintain 60fps or min frame rate then it would help .

but games like as:o likes threads, and BFV were networking takes a hit on the CPU threads

if you can find £200

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £615.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Caporegime
the 2600 will be level tbh with what you have. possibly a little behind. 2700x or above. 400 for what you selling it would be sold instantly. i got a 4700k rig for kids 6 month ago for £200 nevermind 400.

i wouldnt upgrade to 2600 for gaming.

Associate
I would wait for Zen2 personally, which will be worthy upgrade for sure.
I made a jump from 5930k@4ghz to 2700x at stock but 3466Mhz RAM. And in games and single thread Ryzen comes out on top, and just outright kills 6core Haswell in multithreaded loads.
So if you wait for 3600x, which might clock similar to your 4770k out of the box, plus 2 more cores, plus by that time RAM cartel drops their prices, and you'll be able to pick up some decently priced and clocked RAM sticks, it should be great upgrade.
I still believe going to 2600x would be worthy on its own, but knowing that Zen2 is not that far away and 4.5ghz of 4770k is nothing to sneeze at, might aswell wait ;)

Soldato
I think people are missing the point, he is being offered above market value for got current gear which is going to fall by maybe 50% in the next 6 months+

It'll put him on a DDR4 platform, with a socket that can have a drop in upgrade if needed.

Side grade, or not you'd be crazy to turn down the option to have a free upgrade path.

Soldato
Regardless of what you upgrade to, I'd snap his hands off for £400. I can't see you getting any other offer near that!

On a side note I did 'upgrade' from a 4790k to a 2700x platform, and couldn't be happier, not a massive leap but definitely a smoother system.

Soldato
I moved from a SB i7 4.4GHz to a stock 1600X, and in most cases with gaming it feels like a side grade. If you were also doing other things that could take advantage of extra threads, then yes I would say it's worth it. It my case it was encoding videos which was a nice speed boost.

£400 for all that though is a pretty good deal though, maybe you can sell that, get a 4c/8t Ryzen as a stop gap and then go for an 8 core Ryzen 3 when it's out for a proper upgrade.

Soldato
i have similar setup i'm waiting for amd 3*** series or even something further down the line , i wouldn't upgrade

You are not being offered £400 for gear that will be worth half that when Zen2 comes out though. It's like throwing £150-200 in the bin.

Look at the OP's post he's banking £60, and getting a side grade, he could sell the R5 2600 for £70 next year and buy an R5 3600 and have spent nothing.

Man of Honour
I've built a couple of 2600 systems for people recently and have a little experience as to how they stack upto my 4820K and it isn't really much of an upgrade - they seem to boot up Windows a little bit quicker to be fair but for general OS usage and quick gaming tests they didn't distinguish themselves from my system - one user does some fairly heavy audio processing that will happily use 6 threads heavily and it was a fair bit better there - actually not hugely different in time taken though the 2600 was quicker but the OS was far more usable during that time - my setup was pretty much saturated to stay with the 2600 under that use.

I don't know if I'm imagining it but the 2000 series seems to boot Windows quite a bit quicker than I remember with the 1600/1700 builds I did not sure if there are any changes in the CPU or chipset in more recent boards or something there.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for your reply's guys. I've decided i will upgrade as it will be virtually free to do so. I've decided to go for the following :

CPU : Ryzen 2600
Ram : 16GB Team Group 3200mhz ram
Motherboard : Gigabyte x470 Aorus Ultra Gaming.

Total cost to upgrade £17

I decided to go with the cheaper 2600 so i could spend more on the faster ram and get a decent motherboard on the latest platform ready for Ryzen 2 and i can simply change the CPU to Ryzen 2 in the future. If i was to simply wait for Ryzen 2 and keep my current system then I would be looking at a £200-£300 cost to upgrade due to most likely getting half the cost of what i could sell my current pc parts for.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom