4790k oc

Associate
So just looking for advise on a 4790kplease.

Had it running 4.8ghz for 2 years temps on cores were about 71 ish and had vcore 1.3

Moved the app rad from exhaust to I let. 're ran my tests lost about 9 degrees

Tonight I upped the vcore to 1.35 and gone 4.9ghz

Running all ok seems stable temps peaking about 71 72 ish.

My question here is

1) what's the max vcore?
2) what's the max temp on vcore? I got 80 in head when it throws a wobbly

Associate
OP
So I'm at the limit then

If I don't up the vcore and up the multiplier to 50 for 5 ghz does that generate more heat as it's using more power or because vcore doesn't change the temp stays the same?

Soldato
Sounds like your chip is similar to mine performance wise, i used to run mine at 1.36 @4.9ghz, you probably had 80 degrees in your head as thats what a lot of overclockers say is their limit for a heavily overclocked chip. I personally run mine at 4.8 at 1.3 same as you and only really ran at 4.9 when i first got it until the novelty wore off and i wanted the chip to last a long time like the guys using sandybridge chips did.

Associate
OP
Keep in mind that if you're just a gamer, that 73c in stress testing will really be 60 something in-game.

yea thats what i also thought

did a load of testing seeing how far i can push the R9 390 now i got 4.9ghz. was going to try for 5.0 but thought what is 100mhz really going to give me

ran real bench 30 min stress test.

Temps%2030%20mins%20Stress%20test_zpsmgtr36wg.jpg~original

then did a 5 x run through on real bench

bench%20mark%205%20x%20run_zpsf8uppgox.jpg~original

Soldato
Yeah i wouldnt bother with 5ghz unless if just for benching as youll need over 1.4v i think i needed 1.42 or something, bit much for every day use. What cooling you using btw? i noticed you said you had a rad so im guessing gpu or cpu is water cooled. If your gpu is water cooled you can probably up the voltage a bit more, if you really wanna push it with a bit of bios editing or a flash with a high voltage bios, i think i used to run my 290x's at about 1.35v. I wouldnt go any higher than the stock bios if your on air though as some of the air coolers dont cool the vrms.

Associate
OP
Antec h1200 CPU cooler with 240mm rad and upgraded the fans to something faster. Did have this top mounted but as I don't use the disk drive area i cut it out and mounted it vertically there.

The gpu is air cooled. Triple fan setup.

Yea I think I have pushed the CPU as far as I am willing. Gpu well I been playing for the fun of it as I'm tempted for a 1080ti as I have a rift now

Back
Top Bottom