Associate
Jeez windows 3.1/3.11 and 95 on floppy was miserable, these were the days before reliable ghosting - then having to add office 4.3 on floppy OMG its was dozens of 3.5" disks.
Towards the end of my private company working era ;) we did move to cd rom and that was bliss compared to the old days but heck it was still slow.

Cant tell you how many times i watched the Weezer video on the 95 cdrom - used it for testing lots and lots of audio/video systems.

Just to annoy :p https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApN2eLI4d-4

Associate
Jeez windows 3.1/3.11 and 95 on floppy was miserable, these were the days before reliable ghosting - then having to add office 4.3 on floppy OMG its was dozens of 3.5" disks.

I used to have OS/2 Warp on floppy disk ... 27 floppies to install ... I had a 128Mb HDD ... installing all of the options on OS/2 took up more than 100Mb of it !

That Weezer video ^^^ god I loved that. IIRC its only took up a small amount of disk space for what it is - thats what amazed me.

Associate
I know this thread is a couple years old but I always enjoy reading 486 threads.

I got a POS machine given to me and it has a socket 3 board it has a WIN Chip which I will replace with a 486 processor. If it works then I will transfer the board to a AT case and do a 486 build.

Associate
OP
I know this thread is a couple years old but I always enjoy reading 486 threads.

I got a POS machine given to me and it has a socket 3 board it has a WIN Chip which I will replace with a 486 processor. If it works then I will transfer the board to a AT case and do a 486 build.

Thanks for digging the thread up again, it's been a while since I did much retro but got really into it, setup as an Instagram showcase as retronow.blog but life takes over.

Nice idea for a project, probably what I'd do too is replace with an Intel and re-case. Keep us all posted!

Back
Top Bottom