• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

490 Rumours and more importantly, the future of MGPU.

Soldato
I would like mgpu to make a strong appearance in dx12 titles, mainly because my case looks a bit empty with only one gpu in it. Don't get me wrong, single card has been so refreshing after running dual cards for a couple of years, but I miss that extra card just because I felt like it was a waste of pcie lanes.

Soldato
While there is a market for dual gpu cards i dont think its what most of us want. Yes it works well When it works but that not always.

Soldato
MS have stated they are working to make MGPU work without as much/any dev input. Everyone is working towards it.

The New mGPU method still requires it to be coded into the game engine. They are kind of making a premade mGPU pathway for AFR that will be easier for devs to bolt onto their game engine. Instead of them having to use Explicit Multi Adapter and building their own mGPU rendering pathway from scratch. etc.

From what i have read it will only support dual card setups, which is better than nothing. Devs can then use Explicit multi adapter to roll their own more advanced mGPU etc.

It won't be like Xfire/SLI where it works over the API, since that would void the whole point of the game engine taking up the work from the driver.

It would be nice if AMD could stick some mGPU example code for Dx12 and Vulkan up on the GPUOpen website. That would go a long way to helping update of the tech.

Associate
This does seem more and more likely as the rumours get spread.

Look at the "ps4k". It will be able to play games at 4k with reasonable fps so it's gota be dual gpu. And that pretty much only leave dual 480? No? Obviously every game won't be 4k but some will and the games won't be allowed to run at 4k unless they pass the test of decent (not sure if it's 30 or 60 fps) fps.

Dual gpu PCBs broaden my upgrade availability aswell being on itx.

Associate
In a perfect would I'd love mgpu to be widespread but considering nvidia have removed sli support from their mid range card and have a huge market share and stacks of cash to throw at developers

I don't see a future where buying two mid range cards doesn't have significant drawbacks still.

thats where dx12/vulkan are so good, if AMD are supporting the *exotic* features then devs should follow (free performance helps devs too) and nvidia will have to stop dragging their heels..

Associate
If for example the Scorpio and Neo were to use mGPU sure, I can see it happening once developers have no choice but to learn how to use Crossfire for their titles transfer it over but that's the key issue here the developers need the drive to actually support it and unless AMD can get that done I don't think they'll succeed.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Doesn't anyone think that this could be why NV have been playing down SLI, and AMD CF?

Soon to be redundant perhaps, and left to DX12 instead?

Soldato
This does seem more and more likely as the rumours get spread.

Look at the "ps4k". It will be able to play games at 4k with reasonable fps so it's gota be dual gpu. And that pretty much only leave dual 480? No? Obviously every game won't be 4k but some will and the games won't be allowed to run at 4k unless they pass the test of decent (not sure if it's 30 or 60 fps) fps.

Dual gpu PCBs broaden my upgrade availability aswell being on itx.

yeah if you think the ps4k will have a 300w gpu solution on top of all the other gubbins.

wont happen. just like the ps4k's target wont be 4k60. or even 4k30. Cost and power consumption just isnt there.

Soldato
OP
If for example the Scorpio and Neo were to use mGPU sure, I can see it happening once developers have no choice but to learn how to use Crossfire for their titles transfer it over but that's the key issue here the developers need the drive to actually support it and unless AMD can get that done I don't think they'll succeed.

I think the big point is that it's NOT Crossfire, though. I think they wont even use the name. The goal I would imagine, is to build new tools and support so that mGPU becomes as standard as multi-core programming for CPUs. Historically, I've always advised people not to buy multiple cards but to plump for one more powerful card. I just loathe uncertainty in whether or not you'll get good results on any given game. But if AMD release a dual-chip 490 then I'm going to take that as a confirmation that there's going to be a big push for mGPU to become a well-supported, commonplace thing. If Navi is what some of the rumours suggest - multiple GPUs on an interposer with HBM, then mGPU has to be a reliable and well-supported feature.

Soldato
If we end up with dual chip cards being viable, and this DX12 mgpu feature actually gets implemented to some reasonable degree and effective, if they make a 490 that is basically a dual 480, i wonder if you could run 2 of those cards effectively having quadfire? i would imagine the gains wouldnt be so great though?

Associate
If we end up with dual chip cards being viable, and this DX12 mgpu feature actually gets implemented to some reasonable degree and effective, if they make a 490 that is basically a dual 480, i wonder if you could run 2 of those cards effectively having quadfire? i would imagine the gains wouldnt be so great though?

Lots of If's, but i don't see why not. Not sure if cooling would suffer from having a more concentrated combination, but i'm sure they wouldn't release an inadequate cooling solution on a production card :rolleyes:

Permabanned
I don't think it will be (though am open to persuasion if there's some real reason to think so); but I will say that if it were, then mGPU is immediately mainstream and well-supported. There's no way it couldn't be if the Xbox went that route.

That would have a big impact on crossfire gaming but like you said I can't see it using more than a single gpu.

Soldato
OP
I just can't see mGPU taking off, not if its going to be on the devs, and ive just got no interest in Microsofts straight Xbone copys.

Well, consider the following:
* Regardless of your interest, console ports are a huge part of the market plus just developing the expertise and tools to do it on consoles anyway means the cost to doing it on PC is much lower even for non-ports.
* There's a bigger commercial reason than there ever has been before for graphics cards vendors to back this (especially AMD) with real resource. Firstly there's a gain from yields and secondly, it's just getting harder and harder to get gains just by making chips smaller. The biggest gains in the future look to be things like integrating different parts closer and closer, i.e. on interposers. Once they're doing that mGPU is an extremely logical focus for progression. It certainly seems to be part of AMD's plan.
* DX12 / Vulkan look to be making this much more viable than it was before for developers.

The more I think about this, the more it seems likely. And that's a big shift in the GPU market if / when it happens. I think a lot of people would be very happy to buy a 480 now and think of getting 1080 or more performance by buying another one later on. The change to people's upgrade paths is huge. It might be of less interest here on OCUK forums where there are people with loadsamoney able to spend £600 on a single card, but for the market as a whole it would be a very big deal.

Associate
Very good news I would think. If the next generation of consoles have twin GPU chips crossfire it should encourage developers to enable DX12/Valkan's implementation of crossfire from the get go.

Those 290's are the cards that just cards that just keep giving.
As far as I know Scorpio will use a single GPU, and I know a little bit more than has been released to the press. For one thing it has to be 100% compatible with the current One. That will be Microsoft's last console for several years so consoles aren't suddenly going to go mGPU. Sony's Neo is less powerful than Scorpio so there is even less reason for them, all signs point to them using a down-clocked 480 equivalent.

bru

bru

Soldato
One reason why the consoles wont be multi GPU power consumption.

console-power.jpg

You really think they will swap out a single APU for two 100W+ GPU's.

Back
Top Bottom