• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4930K Retail - Mini Review

Soldato
They have been posted here: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...i7-4930k-i7-4820k-ivy-bridge-e-review-15.html

If i was a gamer building a rig I would seriously consider a 4770k.

From the review you posted:

The i7-4820K on the other hand is the star of Intel’s Ivy Bridge lineup for budget-focused users. Most examples should be able to overclock extremely well and it can easily keep up with the i7-4930K in games. So, while it may be tied at the hip to a slightly inferior platform from a connectivity standpoint and looses to an i7-4770K in a bone stock comparison, we’d recommend the i7-4820K for gamers who want to build a new system around a solid, adaptable and overclockable core. The only problem here is making the jump to this relatively inexpensive IVB-E chip means participating in a game of Russian roulette: if you don’t get a decent overclocker, the i7-4770K will ultimately be a much better value. The question is whether or not you're willing to bet $310 on a that outcome.

Soldato
Hah, yeah - I think they are wrong on their conclusion.

I would not buy into X79 and drop a 4820k in there just for gaming, you need your head looking at if you do.

If there is one thing that Failwell does erm, 'well' is gaming. Especially poorly written games that only use two cores!

Last edited:
Soldato
Hah, yeah - I think they are wrong on their conclusion.

I would not buy into X79 and drop a 4820k in there just for gaming, you need your head looking at if you do.

If there is one thing that Failwell does erm, 'well' is gaming. Especially poorly written games that only use two cores!

I obviously need my head looking at.

I think x79 is a great platform, and the quad core is also a great deal. No more cost and performance is fractions behind.

Permabanned
Besty i think you are wrong....

If 4820K will clock to 5ghz it will wipe the floor with haswell 4770k for gaming.
And you know why ??
How many people here got 4770k that can do 5ghz without De-lid...
Not to mention quad memory controller as a bonus.

And YES some people here proven that 4.5-4.6 haswell WILL bottleneck 780 in multiplayer games like BF3 and possibly BF4...

Soldato
Yes, that appears to be the case.

Just about. 4.5GHz seems to be easy but 4.6GHz looks to be pretty much the 24/7 limit.

"The 4930K provided decent results here as well, though it couldn’t hit the same levels as its little brother. It ended up topping out at 4.65GHz but anything higher and our system simply gave up, refusing to POST until the CMOS was cleared. "

If it refused to POST at over 4.65GHz then i'd be sceptical if it was Prime95 stable at that speed.

At the moment, i'm thinking my 4.44GHZ 24/7 and 4.64GHz Bench 3930K is probably worth sticking with.

Soldato

If 4820K will clock to 5ghz it will wipe the floor with haswell 4770k for gaming.
And you know why ??

And YES some people here proven that 4.5-4.6 haswell WILL bottleneck 780 in multiplayer games like BF3 and possibly BF4...

Mine does 5GHz :) Although I run it at 4.8 over the summer due to temps with my Antec 920...Back to 5 in a couple of weeks - my study is in the basement and its getting cooler now.

And you know why ??

IF. Also 'wipe the floor' is a very bold statement.
Plus isn't haswell still clock for quicker than 2011 based IvyE?

Associate
Just a quick update on my 4930K. It seems quite happy running at 4.4Ghz with 1.190 vcore set in BIOS, LLC at Turbo (which is one down from the top setting of extreme). CPUz reports 2.000v at idle and 1.188 under load. Default/Auto vcore on my chip is 1.180. Temps get up to 70C on a short run of IBT, H100 cooler. Not pushed for anything higher yet.

Associate
Looking great !

I just have one tiny question. Now with the 4930K and GTX 780 SLI are you running PCI-E 2.0 or 3.0 ? If you're running 3.0 then was it necessary for you to use the nVidia X79 PCIE 3.0 patch to enable PCIE 3.0 ? I haven't been able to find answers to this :)

Associate
OP
Looking great !

I just have one tiny question. Now with the 4930K and GTX 780 SLI are you running PCI-E 2.0 or 3.0 ? If you're running 3.0 then was it necessary for you to use the nVidia X79 PCIE 3.0 patch to enable PCIE 3.0 ? I haven't been able to find answers to this :)

Yes it still requires the patch, which works fine.
It's NVidia drivers that will finally stop us having to apply the patch... Talking of which it's ages since the last Certified drivers - come on NVidia.

Associate
OP
With a little help from 8 Pack today I managed to sort out getting my ram to run at full speed while the CPU is at high clock speeds.

We started adjusting VCCSA and I found that more than anything else it needs help in this area when in the initial boot phase. There is a setting in the Asus bios that lets you set this specifically for the initial boot and setting this to 1.3v while normal VCCSA was set to 1.2v enabled my ram to run slightly above stock speed and with the sort of timings that it was capable of with Haswell.

2666Ram.png

Although with slack timings I could run the ram right up to 2800 - again much the same as with my best 4770K

2800Ram.png

A little more VCCSA lets me in at 5.0GHz CPU and 2666 ram, but I need a bit more tweaking to make that stable.

Good progress though, showing that with a little tweaking and an 8 Pack in your pocket :) Ivy-E can perform extremely well with high memory speeds and normal cooling.

Associate
Yes it still requires the patch, which works fine.
It's NVidia drivers that will finally stop us having to apply the patch... Talking of which it's ages since the last Certified drivers - come on NVidia.

Yes - it was mentioned in one of the reviews I read that Nvidia were due to address this shortly.

Back
Top Bottom