• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4GB 670s or 3GB 7970s?

Soldato
I know this will likely start an argument but that's not my intention.
The title says it all really.

I'm thinking of watercooling my PC (again, sort of, I've watercooled before, but not this pc). If I'm going to watercool I'm not sure I want to watercool my current 2GB 670s (see sig). I'd like to get into triple monitor gaming since I've bought 3 of the 120Hz Samsung monitors (S23A700Ds I think).

I know there's also a lot of discussions about if you need more than 2GB VRAM, but I'm thinking for future proof reasons it might be better (and if I'm watercooling I'm not going to want to have to replace them and the blocks any sooner than I have to). Also, part of the reason I'm watercooling is so that I could go 3-way SLI/Crossfire.

So what is my best option out of 4GB 670s and 3GB 7970s? My current intent would be to get 3 of either card.

I generally lean toward Nvidia cards, probably mostly due to familiarity with the cards and their drivers. There's also the PhysX thing, not that it's widely used, but nice for those occasions when it is.

Still, if the 7970s are clearly better (I think they are cheaper) then I'd be silly not to consider them.

Also, what does annoy me with my Nvidia set up is that if I want to use SLI over multiple screens I have limited options. I can use 2 screens and game on one and have my desktop on the other or I can game on all 3, which doesn't work so well on some games that don't support 3 screens (or ones that I just prefer on 1 screen). Switching between the 2 is a really pain too.
Is the situation the same with AMD cards?

Also, as well as deciding between the 670s and 7970s, which make and model would you recommend for each card? Is it worth going for a OC version of either card? Would there be any difference between a 4GB 670s on a full length (680?) PCB or a short (670?) PCB?

Thanks.

Soldato
from just looking at benchmarks, most of the current games don't seem to be vram limited on 2gb 670's even at 5760x1080... as you already have 2 of them I would be tempted to try them first and see how you get on, that will be your cheapest route initailly

the main vram eater seems to be AA... and TXAA is set to reduce that requirement, so you may never need 4GB cards... or if you do then by that point GK110 might be out and in SLI would then be your best choice

if you really are intent on going to 3gb/4gb cards then to be honest there is probably less than a sheet of paper between them performance wise

Caporegime
If you do have Samsung S23A700D monitors then you'll end up having to buy at least two of these at £75 each to use 120Hz with the HD 7970.

That may influence your decision.

Soldato
OP
I had considered the DisplayPort adaptors, what bothers me most about them is that they also use up USB ports :(
The way I see it 4GB 670s are going to be ~£380 each (so £1140 for 3) and cheapest reference 7970s are ~£300 (so £900 for 3, +£150 = £1050). So could go to £330 on each 7970 before the 670s are cheaper (depending on waterblock prices).

For waterblocks I'm thinking of going AquaComputer as I really don't like the new EK monstrosities.

I've seen 2GB cards running out of VRAM on a 2560x1440 (or was it 2560*1600) display, which is why I'm concerned about 5760*1080.

Soldato
I had considered the DisplayPort adaptors, what bothers me most about them is that they also use up USB ports :(
The way I see it 4GB 670s are going to be ~£380 each (so £1140 for 3) and cheapest reference 7970s are ~£300 (so £900 for 3, +£150 = £1050). So could go to £330 on each 7970 before the 670s are cheaper (depending on waterblock prices).

For waterblocks I'm thinking of going AquaComputer as I really don't like the new EK monstrosities.

I've seen 2GB cards running out of VRAM on a 2560x1440 (or was it 2560*1600) display, which is why I'm concerned about 5760*1080.

what game?

Suspended
Use your existing 670's hook them up to the samy's, load up your Skyrim mods and see if it works?

The only benefits(outwith the extra vram as I don't have a clue whether the extra vram is of any benefit or not) the 79's will have over your existing 670's is better Tridef support(FS rather than SBS) but 3D might not be your thing and eyefinity support from what I have read is better than Surround support at the moment.

If you need the performance, then add another, but 3X cards or more are more problematic than 2.

Caporegime
Use your existing 670's hook them up to the samy's, load up your Skyrim mods and see if it works?

The only benefits(outwith the extra vram as I don't have a clue whether the extra vram is of any benefit or not) the 79's will have over your existing 670's is better Tridef support(FS rather than SBS) but 3D might not be your thing and eyefinity support from what I have read is better than Surround support at the moment.

If you need the performance, then add another, but 3X cards or more are more problematic than 2.

This.

Seems crazy to have everything and not even see if it works fine.

Back
Top Bottom