4gb not posting on motherbaord

Associate
This is my sons computer and his running 2gb with win 7 so i thought i would get him another 2gb to make it run that bit faster for him.

Motherboard works fine with 1 2 or 3 gb of ram in any slots, but stick a 4th stick in and it wont post. Ive updated the bios to no avail. Motherboard is asus P5N-E SLI and the ram is all matching.

RJC

RJC

Don
Does this happen with any stick, i.e. possible faulty stick.

Another possibility is up the MCH voltage a little as your using all memory slots, but you would need todo this with only 3 modules.

Soldato
As above - test each stick and each slot to determine if one is at fault (tedious job - but necessary if BIOS tweaks don;t fix the problem).

However, first, try upping the memory controller (NB voltage) by an increments or two (as already suggested by RJC) as the fourth stick may be the breaking point.

It's not uncommon for 3 sticks to work but then adding a fourth cripples the system - the system sometimes needs just that little extra juice directed to the memory controller to keep 4 filled slots stable on your setup.

Associate
OP
Solved it, finding the right bios was what was needed, there was 17 updates to choose from. But all good now, 4gb registered. cheers.

Associate
OP
Now im having bsod with the 4 sticks in, "memory management error" All sticks work fine on there own or 2 at a time, just back to putting all 4 in it plays silly buggers. Is it worthupping the voltage a bit like what rjc said? cheers

Soldato
Now im having bsod with the 4 sticks in, "memory management error" All sticks work fine on there own or 2 at a time, just back to putting all 4 in it plays silly buggers. Is it worthupping the voltage a bit like what rjc said? cheers

Yes, the BIOS upgrade will have sorted out compatibility issues but not the voltage issue which you 'may' be having.

Bump the MCH voltage (maybe called NB) up by an increment or two and then 'use and abuse' the system to test for stability over a few days. Hopefully, the combination of a BIOS update and MCH increase will solve all your problems.

Additional: Did you clear the CMOS after the BIOS flash? (If not i would so this first - then input all your settings again and still up the MCH.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom