4gb vs 8gb

Caporegime
Just ordered 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 XMS3, PC3-10600 (1333), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 9-9-9-24, 1.50V for £28.79 delivered.

Desperately trying to extend the life of my P35C-DS3R-based S775 system until the next major Intel revision!

Caporegime
Just ordered 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 XMS3, PC3-10600 (1333), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 9-9-9-24, 1.50V for £28.79 delivered.

Desperately trying to extend the life of my P35C-DS3R-based S775 system until the next major Intel revision!

I'm not sure how you'll get on with that:

DDR3:
2 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 4 GB of system memory
Dual channel memory architecture
Support for DDR3 1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules

If you're lucky it may work if they were being conservative or if that was before 4GB DIMMs were readily available.

Caporegime
I'm not sure how you'll get on with that:

If you're lucky it may work if they were being conservative or if that was before 4GB DIMMs were readily available.

I've seen you post that before and someone told you that Gigabyte support have themselves confirmed that the board supports 8GB of compatible DDR3 RAM, they just haven't updated their website to reflect this (presumably as by the time 4GB DIMMS were available, the product was so old that it wasn't worth bothering).

Googling around reveals plenty of people that have managed it (along with a few that haven't) but either way, for £29, I haven't got much to lose when I can probably flog it for £25 in the MM if it doesn't work.

Caporegime
I've seen you post that before and someone told you that Gigabyte support have themselves confirmed that the board supports 8GB of compatible DDR3 RAM, they just haven't updated their website to reflect this (presumably as by the time 4GB DIMMS were available, the product was so old that it wasn't worth bothering).

Googling around reveals plenty of people that have managed it (along with a few that haven't) but either way, for £29, I haven't got much to lose when I can probably flog it for £25 in the MM if it doesn't work.

It doesn't work for everyone so it's fair warning.

And if it doesn't work for you then send it back under the DSR assuming you bought it from a business seller.

Caporegime
Yeah business seller, though once I've opened the RAM packets to test them in the board, I'd have a hard time sending back under DSR I'd imagine :p. I have another option: keep it until I upgrade :).

Caporegime
Yeah business seller, though once I've opened the RAM packets to test them in the board, I'd have a hard time sending back under DSR I'd imagine :p. I have another option: keep it until I upgrade :).

Sending them back under the DSR after you've opened them isn't a problem.

You're allowed to do that.

Caporegime
ive just remembered i have a 4gb usb stick doing readyboost so maybe thats why im seeing good performance with 4gb of memory because all the os stuff that gets cached is cached onto the usb stick instead of the main memory.

Caporegime

whys it so funny? i only bought the usb stick so i could install windows 7 from usb :p
thought i might aswell get some use out of it so stuck readyboost on and forgot about having it.

im noy convinced though i could probably disable it and play bf3 just fine, the only people who seem to have any issues with 4gb or ram and bf3 seems to be the ones with 512mb graphics cards

Soldato
The concept of a usb stick giving you a significant boost in performance is LOL.

I know usb claims speeds of XYZ but in reality we all know they don't happen. Certainly wouldn't equate to the performance of an extra 4gb of ram.

I expect you just use little memory and thus your gaming experienced isn't affected.

4Gb is fine for most things only the lazy like myself need more why close a program when you don't have to.

Caporegime
i wasnt claiming it gives a significant boost in performance....

i was claming maybe because i have a 4gb readyboost usb stick that windows is caching the useless crap like folder icons , drive paths and all the other junk to it rather than taking up much faster system ram , leaving me with more system ram free than people who dont have readyboost. and maybe thats why im not seeing any problems gaming with 4gb of ram while others are.
i dont close programs when i dont have to as i said but all these screenshots from p[eople trying tt justify 8gb or ram always have IE and chrome open at the same time etc its like they are desperately seeking ways to use more ram

we all know how much useless stuff windows 7 likes to cache, it will use 4gb of memory after start up just incase you might need something.

if only 1gb of cached rubbish is on a usb stick its leaving me an extra 1gb of system ram free for more importaint stuff

Last edited:
Associate
Just upgraded from 4GB to 8GB and i could tell right away everything was quicker at loading. Picture with only utorrent and chrome open.

6GB Cached must make a difference and for £35 why wouldn't you get it? :)

Caporegime

Well, I can confirm that the Gigabyte GA P35C-DS3R rev 1.x does in fact work with 8GB of DDR3 (2 x 4GB obviously). It booted first time with no fuss. I have the latest BIOS (F12) but I'm not sure whether or not this is required. I remember thinking when I bought this board in 2007, 'I wonder if there's any point in me getting a board that supports DDR3' and by total fluke, this was one future-proofing decision that paid off.

I've also just put in a Q6600 and a 2GB 6950, both second hand, so for £250 I have a completely transformed system and am ready for a 1080p BF3 session tomorrow afternoon :D.

Something else worth mentioning is that I've never simply opened my PC, installed something, and switched it on. There's always a drama. However this time I installed three components, two of which were second hand, and everything just worked straight away :p.

Last edited:
Permabanned
The concept of a usb stick giving you a significant boost in performance is LOL.

Actually turbocaching would work.

It doesnt give you a 'boost in performance', what it does is store background crap which frees up more of the system ram.

In terms of performance using caching:

- 4 Gb system ram + turbocache will give you the lowest gains, but will free up your 4 Gb for your more demanding programs

- Upgrading to 8-12 Gb will be even better as direct system ram for caching is much faster than turbo boost

- Upgrading your Vram will be even better still, as graphics data caching in the Vram is even faster than caching in system ram.

Actually, those three points are perfectly arranged by cost and performance gain. ATM if you already have a fast graphics setup with 1 Gb Vram (5850 / 5870 / GTX 460 / GTX 560 ti in Xfire / SLI), but only 4 Gb ram, upgrading your ram will give you the most cost effective upgrade.

If you are using really old graphics cards and looking to upgrade, buying cards with more Vram (1.5-2 Gb) will give you some extra Vram for graphics caching.

However, you simply wont be able to get as much room for Caching in the Vram as you can get with cheapo system ram - a 3 gb GTX 580 is extremely expensive, and paying so much money for this card s ridiculous.

However, 2 Gb GTX 560 tis, or 2 Gb 6950s are very attractive buys at their price point and worth buying now if getting new cards. However users with 1 Gb Vram and 8-12 Gb system ram are going to have the same benefit with shared ram, but just slightly slower than having more Vram.

Upgrading from 1 Gb 5850s or GTX 460s and higher just to get more Vram, expecialy if you have two of them is a ridiculously bad move as it will be a lot better to wait for the next gen with such setups. Just add more system ram and wait for HD 7000s / Keplers before upgrading to faster cards with 2 Gb Vram.

I also just 'downgraded' my 24 Gb cas 9 1600 Mhz ram, to 12 Gb Cas 7 1866 Mhz ram:

I didnt buy any new ram, just went back to my speedy 2 Gb sticks that I was using before the 24 Gb upgrade as I dont need more than 12 Gb, and this stuff is a lot faster which actually does improve min FPS by about 2-4 in several games (about the same benefit as going from 1 Gb to 2 Gb Vram).

But theres really no point in buying faster ram if upgrading because it costs too much more for a very slight increase, unless you are looking to build the absolute highest performance you can get, in which case loads of superfast ram (those new X79 quad kits are super yummy), and more Vram combined would actually give you a significant, but hardly cost worthy performance boost. Mine are just the Geil Ultra OEM sticks that OCUK had for £70 per 4 Gb ages ago, and I'd rather use those than slower 4 Gb sticks.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I wouldn't feel comfortable with 4GB of ram and I think people must be mad now not to buy in extra ram at such low prices, even if 4GB is sufficiant at the moment, it wont be long before it does become a problem. GET THE RAM NOW WHILE IT'S CHEAP!

Caporegime
I wouldn't feel comfortable with 4GB of ram and I think people must be mad now not to buy in extra ram at such low prices, even if 4GB is sufficiant at the moment, it wont be long before it does become a problem. GET THE RAM NOW WHILE IT'S CHEAP!

its not likely to go up in price anytime soon anyway, ima stick with my 4gb until i upgrade again probably next year

Back
Top Bottom