• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4k gaming for £200 possible?

Soldato
I've just upgraded my monitor to a Samsung u32R592 4k uhd. And since my card is a lowly sapphire 7970 i know gaming at that res is out. So I will mainly be using it for browsing but it would be nice if it could play the occasional game. But the clincher is i don't want to spend a wad of dosh so would a budget of £200 be out of the question?

Soldato
I've just upgraded my monitor to a Samsung u32R592 4k uhd. And since my card is a lowly sapphire 7970 i know gaming at that res is out. So I will mainly be using it for browsing but it would be nice if it could play the occasional game. But the clincher is i don't want to spend a wad of dosh so would a budget of £200 be out of the question?

Tough one because the monitor doesn't support Freesync. Can you wait until August to see the pricing of the custom 5700XT? I know out of your price range, however if for £380 you can get a far superior card that can do 4K. Also second hand Vega 64s will greatly fall in price to grab a bargain then, instead of rushing to buy a V56 right now.

Also since the monitor doesn't support FS, you can grab an Nvidia card second hand, if the prices drop at £200. (GTX1080/1080Ti nothing less, otherwise V56/V64 are better).

Soldato
TBH you can do 4k on a fair number of cards, it's a matter of tweaking settings.

Not all settings or levels of settings in games these days give a good or discernible increase in Image quality compared to the performance hit you take.

I often turn of DoF, Motion Blur, Lens flare, Chromatic aberration (if implemented badly) etc.
You also often only need to set texture quality to medium or one down from the max, the maximum settings often just adds post processing to the materials which isn't worth the perf hit for what they do.

Soldato
A Vega 56 would be ideal, get it while you can & the price is low. That being said, before I had my V64 I played at 4K with an RX 480 with no real issues. In some games with the RX 480 you'll have to go down to 1800p (or drop render scale 10-20%), but you can keep most of the highest settings on. Basically, an RX 480/570 w/ 8GB offers you performance & visuals at least on par but in reality almost always better than what the best console currently offers (X1X), and this is usually because there's a lot of big visual gains that come for "free" (texture quality, ansiotropic filtering, etc). Any card better than those 2 is going to be even better. A V56 can get to almost double the performance of those two, so for the money it's a no brainer choice.

Soldato
Some very interesting food for thought from this forum. It never lets me down. Thank you.

You are welcome. As said, if there is AIB 5700XT for £380 (there is a reference model only atm) it will be a far superior card than anything you will buy at £200-300 range, by miles.
It will also push the prices down on V56 and V64 if you want to stick to low budget.

Soldato
4K for £200 is going to be tricky. Some games allow you to scale down the 3D render resolution but keep HUD elements at native 4K. This can be a good technique for improving frame rates whilst avoiding blurry text.

Back
Top Bottom