4K UHD Content from Sky

V F

V F

Soldato
I wonder how many presenters will be going insane because of this for the years to come. I remember James Martin saying this, at least with SD he could get away with a lack of shave. Now we're entering an era you'll be able to see the ridge on contact lenses. Every crack and wrinkle in the skin for twitter to mouth off.

A huge rise in nasal trimmers...

Soldato
Quote from Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-high-definition_television#Resolution

From reading that I would expect any material from the states arriving in 2160p to be 3840x2160 for 4K broadcasts. I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised if they were making it so differently.

Well that's the deal which they've signed up to. I guess that yo'd best go have a word with the boffins at Sky on this as they've obviously made a press release which is false if you are so sure that BE won't have 4K cameras available from next season.

Looks like I was wrong. I never knew that FOMs cameras was 4K\UHD.
I wonder what download speed you'll need?

Soldato
I'm guessing Sky 4k is 4:2:0 colour yes? No need to run it on an UHD enhanced hdmi port or anything?

4k is the most confusing standard yet.

Soldato
Sky will do what any UHD TV can already do. Upscale it. Pointless.

But if you want F1 in UHD give Bernie a few million :)

A lot was made of the F1 UHD content by Sky. If that or a majority of their content ends up being simply upscaled HD then I think the regulator will be having words with them for false advertising as many will have signed up to Q for the UHD alone.

Soldato
I don't think you will need the enhanced HDMI port as that is used for HDR.

But I do wonder what format sky will take on?

As long as your TV has a HDMI 2.0 port you'll be fine, this supports HDR and high frame rates. The standard for broadcast is going to be UHD 50P, which will benefit sports. Films and most other programme types will be shown at 25p.

Soldato
I don't think you will need the enhanced HDMI port as that is used for HDR.

But I do wonder what format sky will take on?

What is the Ultra HD Blu Ray specification?

The Ultra HD Blu Ray spec is as follows (see the rest of this article for details on how to “decipher” these acronyms):

Up to 4K resolution
4:2:0 color sub-sampling
Up to 10 bit color
Up to 60 frames per second
Support for wide color gamuts (REC.2020)
Support for HDR10 and Dolby Vision
No 3D support
HDCP2.2

Standard UHD specification includes HDR it appears

Soldato
As long as your TV has a HDMI 2.0 port you'll be fine, this supports HDR and high frame rates. The standard for broadcast is going to be UHD 50P, which will benefit sports. Films and most other programme types will be shown at 25p.

I wouldn't touch sky with a barge poll :)
That said it will be interesting to see what they will do.

What is the Ultra HD Blu Ray specification?

The Ultra HD Blu Ray spec is as follows (see the rest of this article for details on how to “decipher” these acronyms):

Up to 4K resolution
4:2:0 color sub-sampling
Up to 10 bit color
Up to 60 frames per second
Support for wide color gamuts (REC.2020)
Support for HDR10 and Dolby Vision
No 3D support
HDCP2.2

Standard UHD specification includes HDR it appears

There so many. 8-10-12 Bit 4.4.4 4.2.2 50\60 24 fpm :)

My TV can do them all and it has a 10Bit panel. But as said I wouldn't touch sky.

Soldato

My TV can do them all and it has a 10Bit panel. But as said I wouldn't touch sky.

Why is that? from next Friday they are the only provider offering UHD content other than BTs joke 1 match a week

Soldato
Why is that? from next Friday they are the only provider offering UHD content other than BTs joke 1 match a week

I've got amazon prime so my UHD is covered there and I watch a film or two and BT sports.
But as for normal tv...no I can't stand it.

edit=I don't follow football any more as they are a bunch of drama queens :)

Soldato

There so many. 8-10-12 Bit 4.4.4 4.2.2 50\60 24 fpm :)

Can't see many deviating from the standard spec though.

Associate
OP
I've got amazon prime so my UHD is covered there and I watch a film or two and BT sports.
But as for normal tv...no I can't stand it.

edit=I don't follow football any more as they are a bunch of drama queens :)

Whilst I may agree with you regarding footballers, Sky does offer a range of products that many people are happy with.

Sadly the days when you simply paid a single TV license fee and that was enough are long gone.

Ultimately everyone now has a choice. Sure some products cost more than others, but we each need to decide what interests us and if we are prepared to pay the fees asked by the relevant providers.

As for the various comments in this thread about different standards and what kind of download speeds will be required, well that is a small part that people will be finding out from this Friday.

Sky's CUTV / OD content has always worked on a download enough before you can start watching it basis. This means that even if you have a 2MB connection, you'll be able to download something. However it would be better to have a faster connection so that you can download more of the content sooner.

Of course it may not be beneficial to have a 80/20 connection. Sky has always limited the download speed of any of it's content so you can't download the whole film pretty much instantly.

As for the size, once more this will become clear from Friday. However you'll soon be glad of have the 2TB drives and wishing that Sky would supply 10TB models.

Soldato
In reply to the above. Using my 76/19 fibre connection any UHD movie from on demand was available within 30 seconds or so to watch.

Associate
OP
In reply to the above. Using my 76/19 fibre connection any UHD movie from on demand was available within 30 seconds or so to watch.

Yes, that is how Sky's CUTV & OD services work.

However if you look you'll see that the STB is still downloading the content. On a slower connection you may have to wait a little longer for the content to be playable.

The point at which something is allowed to be watched is calculated so that the download will finish before you reach the place where the download is happening.

When it comes to 4K content the size of the file could be around 15-20GB or as much as 40GB. This is considerably larger that say 3.5GB for a film.

Associate
OP
No problem @MarkeR. Some people don't know how it works so I was clarifying the answer just in case.

In fairness even a 20mb connection will cope with a HD download quite easily as once more Sky only needs enough for you to start watching without catching up.

Soldato
Yes, that is how Sky's CUTV & OD services work.

However if you look you'll see that the STB is still downloading the content. On a slower connection you may have to wait a little longer for the content to be playable.

The point at which something is allowed to be watched is calculated so that the download will finish before you reach the place where the download is happening.

When it comes to 4K content the size of the file could be around 15-20GB or as much as 40GB. This is considerably larger that say 3.5GB for a film.

Ive always wondered if it worked like this, makes the most sense would be quite annoying having to buffer in the middle of a program. What is the max speed sky will dowload at anyway as it seems no different betweem my 100 meg connection and a workmates 20 meg.

Back
Top Bottom