4K vs. 144Hz.

Soldato
Looking at something along these lines, seems to tick all the boxes https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sams...-gaming-widescreen-led-monitor-mo-23m-sa.html

Never had a curved screen before, not sure if they live up the hype?

DB

If you have the cash personally you are better off getting something with G-sync or G-sync verified.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-2...le-widescreen-led-gaming-monit-mo-155-lg.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/dell...een-led-backlit-gaming-monitor-mo-08z-de.html

Although you can get the dell cheaper elsewhere, not to dig at ocuk.

Soldato
4K wins hands down for productivity, 1440p 144Hz for gaming... it's that simple. Pick the one for whichever you do the most of. If you want both, get both... dual monitors for dual activities.

Associate
OP
Ok, so I took the plunge and ordered the screen I'd been looking at previously in this thread. I am absolutely blown away by the difference in quality of life improvement over the 4K screen, I can see very little difference in overall quality of the image displayed. What I did notice imediately was how smooth everything was in comparison, rapidly spinning around 180 degrees in games no longer left me feeling motion sick, and instead was a seamless transition. I shall now repurpose my 4k screen for HD Kodi streams!

On a side note, I went to see some curved screens in a local retailer, and I have to say I was left mostly unimpressed, I know it's all about ocular focus/strain, but the image just looked... wrong? Since I have a tri-screen setup anyway, I've sort of made my own "curved" viewport but each screen is a regular flat rectangle :)

Soldato
Not with a 1080Ti powering it, heck, even a 2080Ti isn't really good enough for 4K over 60fps. Comeback for the 3080/4080Ti if you want consistent framerates over 60 at 4K.

Sorry but I've got the 2080ti and the x27 and you can easily push over 60fps, depends on the game.

I'm push 110fps on forza horizon 4 at max settings
120fps in gears of war 5 multiplayer, 70-85 in single player.

It's pretty much the best pc/monitor experience I've had but a very costly one and I wouldn't do it again.

Metro and tomb raider are different story but with a little fiddling it looks buttery smooth.

You can look at bar charts all you want, but it's probably best to have experienced it first before saying what you can and cant do.

Soldato
can you please explain your comment,

I have a high refresh 4k monitor (and a high refresh 3440x1440 monitor) and a 2080 Ti, so when @Cooper said that a 2080 Ti just about coped with 4k, I could say from experience that he was talking complete rubbish. So I did. You might note that @Cooper has a RTX 2080 and not a 2080 Ti, so is speaking from a position of ignorance, not knowledge. Sure you can enable RTX and other GPU killers, but I'm happily playing Borderlands 3 with details mostly cranked at 4k (Volumetric Fog is dropped to medium) and getting over 60 fps. And it's not just me: look at the frame rates @fantasticCG is getting.

Soldato
I have a high refresh 4k monitor (and a high refresh 3440x1440 monitor) and a 2080 Ti, so when @Cooper said that a 2080 Ti just about coped with 4k, I could say from experience that he was talking complete rubbish. So I did. You might note that @Cooper has a RTX 2080 and not a 2080 Ti, so is speaking from a position of ignorance, not knowledge. Sure you can enable RTX and other GPU killers, but I'm happily playing Borderlands 3 with details mostly cranked at 4k (Volumetric Fog is dropped to medium) and getting over 60 fps. And it's not just me: look at the frame rates @fantasticCG is getting.

Yes dropping certain settings can definitely help, I've watched many videos on YouTube and my own testing showing slight differences between settings ultra, high that doesn't justify the performance impact.

Back
Top Bottom