• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4K - When will it be mainstream?

Soldato
The Japanese are going to run test broadcasts at 16K resolution for their 2020 Olympics.

Lol..it never ends.

and it'll be another 50 years before most countries bother to upgrade their broadcast network to be able to show it :D

lets face it, the UK barely does 720p, doesn't do 1080p at all and has absolutely no plans to do 4K

Soldato
Well yes. I wouldn't be holding my breath for terrestrial 4k. It's bound to be delivered over high-bandwidth medium. It's the nature of the beast.

There'll be a big push for 4k from the industry. They want to sell everyone new TVs. 3D wasn't the success they were hoping for.

Soldato
Netflix offer 4K, support for it is a fairly big sticking point in TV reviews as it's pretty much the only source.

I am curious about the bitrate etc.

Caporegime
and it'll be another 50 years before most countries bother to upgrade their broadcast network to be able to show it :D

lets face it, the UK barely does 720p, doesn't do 1080p at all and has absolutely no plans to do 4K

yes go look at your sky cable tv and see how many are even in 720 nevermind 1080. :p

we are years away but salesmen gotta sell something :D

Soldato
I thought movies filmed in 35mm is actually 4k. They just havent been digitised and remastered in 4k yet. The true resolution of 35mm film negative is 4k so it's been around for a while. It's just the medium for playback for the masses hasn't been.

True resolution of film? It doesn't have pixels, so i'm not sure what you mean there.

But in terms of quality, you're looking way above 4K in comparing the two.

Soldato
I tell a lie. BBC have been running terrestrial UHD trial broadcasts.

So there are plans at least..

they did a 1080p test in 2006, we still don't have 1080p broadcast in the UK
it has taken them 10 years to NOT go from 720p to 1080p, so lawd only knows how long 4K will actually take

Last edited:
Soldato
And as someone said earlier NHK have been preparing 16K for a while. Can't even speculate when that might tip up LOL. :)

The concept of "resolution" might even go away before that time.

Associate
The way I see it 4k/2160p displays won't take as long to become common as compared to 1080p adoption, there is an ongoing push to high PPI displays in phone/tablets/PC/TV. That's more substantial than the initial SD to HD transition (a time when the concept was new to the vast majority of public).

Add in slim and edgeless design that you now get, and large inch TV's don't have to be monsters.

Back
Top Bottom