4tb 2.5" and not Seagate... does it exist?

Soldato
And if not, why not?

Cannot stand Seagate. Terrible failure rates in my experience. Never thrown one away due to old age, always due to death in service.

Appreciate any info on alternatives :)

Soldato
OP
The only one I'm aware of is a Samsung SSD but it'll set you back a grand.

Doesn't have to be SSD :) I'm eyeballing the possibility of switching to an ITX build and thinking that a 4tb mechanical drive for media plus SATA and m.2 SSDs for programs and games would be adequate and tiny.

Soldato
OP
Does the storage have to be internal?

Tbh, if it doesn't exist, I'll just make sure to pick my case accordingly. If there was a 4tb 2.5" option then it would pretty much fit anywhere, but if it's too much to ask then I'll keep my current 3.5".

I have this... much prefer it over mechanical... game drive mostly... it's not just the speed improvement... it's the lack of noise - making my PC bordering on silent

Oh believe me, I know, I have 3x SSDs right now after a series of OS-drive upgrades over several years xD On the other hand, I just plain need a bit of bulk storage in addition; mostly for media and the odd backup, stuff that doesn't have to read/write quickly.

It might have to be if it has to be 2.5" and not seagate or SAS.

Which does make me sad, because if Seagate can do it, why can't anyone else? :< Nevertheless, appreciate the help :) I guess I'll make sure to pick up a case that can accommodate a 3.5" drive. Although I might consider a basic NAS box... wireless AC has reinvigorated my network, it might be more viable than it was until now!

Soldato
OP
Something like a wd my cloud is quite useful. you can stick it anywhere so you don't have to hear it and it stays on all the time so no one gets interrupted because of a reboot.

I used to have a little 1tb NAS, but it no longer shows up on the network so I assume it's died... It was terrible anyway, transfer speeds were awful. Maybe a better one is in order :)

Soldato
OP
The only 4tb 2.5" available afaik is the "Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 2.5", but even that's not really suitable for anything as it's 15mm height, so won't fit in a standard 2.5" bay

The height might be exactly why nobody else makes one, tbh... I'll review what I've got and what I need. I suspect I can bring the 4TB drive down to much less (like 1-1.5) at which point the problem is much easier to solve. Existing 4TB could go in a NAS box for backups :)

...although if I go through with this, I will end up discarding a motherboard, CPU, case, soundcard, PSU, 1tb hdd and 256gb ssd... Dangerously close to having to admit it's no longer the same mop.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom