5 a side Football - Injury Rant!

Associate
Well just got back from a league game and have really badly twisted my right ankle - off to A&E in a bit just sitting here waiting for someone to drive me up :mad:

Just a bit of a rant really I have had so many injuries from playing football that im really considering packing it in (as hard as thats going to be) both of my ankles are messed and my knees ain't all that good either.

Anyone else in a similar position?

Anyway hope I ain't done too much damage as im off to India to watch the Cricket on Sat :mad: :mad: :mad: knowing my luck I have probably broken something!

Don
I fractured my ankle and ruptered my ligaments playing 5 aside, when i came back, a couple of weeks later a friend dislocated his ankle, ruptered ligaments and shattered his ankle by standing on the ball.

These things happen, you just have to pick your self back up and carry on. If you feel like you can't, then it's time to pack it in.

Soldato
Just come back from 11 a side football, how cold?? :eek: Nursing an injury myself, possible broken/ fractured forearm :( It's very swollen atm and I'm in a lot of pain, going to jump in bath and see how I get on. I'll be gutted if it's anything more than badly bruised.

Even worse that it happened in the last minute, big hoof forward to me, one on one with keeper, I scored but he just turned his back and jumped straight into me, no idea what hit my arm but it was bloody hard!!

Last edited:
Don
I got kneed in the head and studded in the ******** last night.

Two worst injuries I've had is probably a broken fingertip that I played on with and is still crooked to this day. And the other was torn muscles in my back after landing on my ass after tipping the ball over the bar. Was in constant pain for two weeks.

Jokester

Man of Honour
my uncle ended up doing serious damage to both his knees after playing football for most of his life he ended up needing operations on them to replace/remove damaged cartallige, it puts a lot of strain on your lower joints and if you feel its too much get them check before any injuries escalate(sp)

Soldato
Since i turned self employed i stopped playing regularly.

I still turn out if asked at 5 a side and 11 a side matches to make up the numbers in friendlies if asked.

Soldato
5-a-side is does make you very injury prone I reakon :o

Personally I've only ever torn ligaments in my fingers (goalkeeper) but I've not even done that for ages after swapping to decent gloves. A few knocks to the head etc but nothing serious :p

*Touches wood!*

Soldato
Ive been relativly lucky only some torn ligament damage but other than that been ok. Was tired tonight though after playing twice on sunday. The legs felt like lead second half!

~m

Soldato
OP, i did the exact same thing last week on my left ankle though.

Went hospital the day after when the swelling didn't go down, had 3 x-rays, and they sent me on my way, a week later im still in pain, can't walk much on it and my foot and lower leg is covered in bruising. :(

Soldato
I am one of these people that just has constant niggling injuries.

dannyjo22 said:
Yeah my right knee suffers a lot from football especially 5 a side. When I get to the squatting position you can hear my knee crack.

I really should quit but....

I had an op on my right knee that did something similar. When I squatted down and proceeded to stand up without any upper body assistance, my knee made a crunching noise. Apparently I was suffering from patella fenarel syndrome or something, where my knee cap had slid slightly towards the inside of my leg due to my bones growing quicker than my muscles. Don't really know how to explain it, but had arthroscopic lateral release on it. Nothing too serious and it seems to have cleared up my problem with it.

This season, I've played in about half of my university's matches. I've had strained ligaments around my left knee, thigh strain, groin strain and a ridiculously bruised toe (nail is still nice and black :D).

Always had these injuries in my life too. Hamstrings, calves, back. 6"3 and I grew quickly so I think thats why I've had so many over the years...

I always warm up properly after my hamstring injuries cos I'm a pacey player but they still seem to keep on coming... Bit frustrating but I wouldn't dream of ever packing it in. I couldn't live without being able to play. Whenever I see someone playing I'm itching to join in. Feel sorry for anyone that has had to give up playing completely :(

Associate
OP
Wow spent 4hrs in A&E last night and that was just to get seen, had to wait a further hour for a x-ray. Nothings broken though but man it kills lol. Must have slept funny because this morning it's stiff as hell and nice and blue!

Yeah I’m also really injury prone in football had so many injuries I think I have spent more time on the sidelines, if the balls there to be won I can't help but go for it regardless if I got no chance - don't know what comes over me lol. Thing is I’m worried that later on in life its all going to catch up with me :(. Before playing it takes me forever putting on all my knee and ankle supports lol

saying that even though I want to stop playing it's probably never going to happen, because as soon as I see others play I get that mad urge to join in!

Oh btw only 22 :o but been playing ever since I could kick a football!

Soldato
Badboy2k3 said:
saying that even though I want to stop playing it's probably never going to happen, because as soon as I see others play I get that mad urge to join in!

I know exactly what you mean - ill still wanna play on my death bed!!!

~m

Soldato
Sorry to be so 'cold', but its just an injury. Not an especially serious one at that in all fairness.

I havnt played football for 2 years now, and i doubt i ever will again. Which kills me as i'd been playing for the same team for 10 seasons.

Its all part & parcel of the game. Just get on with it.

Back
Top Bottom