• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5 years later, I'm looking to upgrade

Associate
Hey,

So nearly 5 years ago I bought my PC with gaming in mind and it is definitely getting old now I'd say. It has an AMD fx6300, GTX 960 and a Asus M5A78L-M LX microATX mobo, all powered by a 500W PSU.

These I still enjoy gaming, still at it with CSGO and other games like pubg and DayZ arma 2 mod, but having started uni a while back I'm now using CAD software like ANSYS and solidedge.

What do you recommend I do in terms of getting a new CPU (maybe atx/m-atx mobo and ram too??) with a budget of say £140ish for the CPU? Is the market right now even good with the whole spike in bitcoin? I've looked at the Ryzen 5 1600, but I'm a loss!

Cheeeers

Hey,

So nearly 5 years ago I bought my PC with gaming in mind and it is definitely getting old now I'd say. It has an AMD fx6300, GTX 960 and a Asus M5A78L-M LX microATX mobo, all powered by a 500W PSU.

These I still enjoy gaming, still at it with CSGO and other games like pubg and DayZ arma 2 mod, but having started uni a while back I'm now using CAD software like ANSYS and solidedge.

What do you recommend I do in terms of getting a new CPU (maybe atx/m-atx mobo and ram too??) with a budget of say £140ish for the CPU? Is the market right now even good with the whole spike in bitcoin? I've looked at the Ryzen 5 1600, but I'm a loss!

Cheeeers

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £400.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Total: £403.43 (includes shipping: £10.50)

The i5-8400 is slightly ahead in games, Ryzen is better for productivity (has 6 extra threads). Ryzen has better stock-cooler and the motherboard socket has a longer upgrade path.

This Ryzen B350 board may require a BIOS update to work properly with Ryzen 2600, would be worth asking OCuk about that one.

It's more helpful to know your whole budget really, rather than just that of the CPU since your usage is varied, and changing CPU is a whole platform upgrade. It may even include a new graphics card if you are so inclined, and have the money to do so. Any help offered will be much more valuable, once those questions are answered. :)

As others have said, you will have to swap motherboard+memory as well, since no current CPUs will fit in your existing board.

For AMD, it's not a bad time at all; their new line of CPUs has just launched and it's incrementally better than the previous and genuinely competitive once again.

For Intel... hard to say. We might get an announcement of 8-core CPUs and associated boards at Computex - or we might not. We know there will be some one day, but we don't know when that day will be :)

Just my 2p, but Ryzen shines vs Intel when you stump up for the best 8-core model, but quickly fades when you're down to the 6-or-less territory. For CAD and other productivity tasks, a 2700X may suit you very well. For raw gaming it's still hard to beat an 8700k and I'd guess that that will hold true for at least a year until Ryzen 3.

Thanks all for the responses!

So after seeing those suggested components, I really did not anticipate RAM to be so expensive! Although I do get that ill have to change that and the mobo. Could I just get a single stick of RAM to half that cost, or 2x4GB, or is that not recommended?

Roughly around the £300 mark is probably my budget for the three and I'm not to keen on buying a new graphics card but if it's really worth it I could splash out. Although would I need more than 500W PSU to run it all?

I do more gaming than CAD right now, and the CAD I will be doing for the rest of my degree shouldn't be too complex so I can imagine the i5 8400 would be more suited towards my needs

AMD has said socket AM4 will be supported for the next few years,and the Z370 chipset does not look like it will be long lived,as it is a repurposed Kaby Lake one and the Z390 is probably going to replace it.

Considering you kept your last platform for 5 years,beware of thinking for the short term as many enthusiasts here will dump their platforms before that. I would suspect not only will AM4 compatible motherboards be made for much longer(AMD made noise about support until 2020),the chances of you plonking in a faster CPU down the line is more likely.

Moreover,remember,that either Ryzen or CFL will be a huge upgrade in every way over an FX6300 - IIRC,AMD showed they had a nearly 60% IPC increase over Piledriver. Intel might have the edge,but remember you have a GTX960,a card I had,and for the most in most modern games,that is the bigger limitation if you have anything from Haswell level performance onwards.

I still have an old IB Core i7,and outside one or two games,I am still GPU limited with a GTX1080 at qHD.

Also for a lot of non-gaming stuff,the Ryzen 5 2600/2600X tends to be quicker than a Core i5 8400,and in gaming the former is quite close to the Ryzen 5 2700/2700X.

On top of this the AMD stock coolers are much more robust(and the CPU thermal interface materials they use under the IHS are more efficient),so under heavy load,especially if dust starts to build up after a few years,I would rather have one of those over the Intel one.

Plus,single channel RAM will affect performance in both cases,so go for a set.

Edit!!

Also,what make of 500W PSU do you have??

Last edited:
You can't get 1 stick of RAM no (or you can but it's a terrible idea). I personally would not build a rig with less than 16gb, and frankly I recommend 32 if you're doing serious CAD work. Check your actual memory use some time and see how much it's asking for.

Unfortunately RAM is indeed very expensive right now. Blame mobile phones stealing all the chips :(

You can probably run everything within a 500w limit if you have just one GPU, but I would start to be wary of a 5 year old PSU... If they go, they can take a lot with them. Do you really trust it to last another five years?

Edit: budget is quite tight, tbh. Possibly consider a 2nd hand 6700K/7700K? Won't be surprised to find a lot of those available at the mo.

A decent 500W PSU is enough - I run a Xeon E3 1230 V2/Core i7 3770,an AIO water cooler,two SSDs,an HDD and a GTX1080FE off a Corsair SF450 PSU(450W) and at the wall when gaming the system consumes under 300W. However,I would be more worried by the model of PSU used,especially if its a poor design with not enough protections or uses poor quality capacitors,which will degrade over time quicker and cause issues,which is what happens when a PSU becomes older.

Alternatively : you could upgrade your existing rig with an fx8320 and a better GPU gtx1060 or gtx1070 ? You will get much better longevity (out of your existing setup) and spend less money. You know your existing components are good (hmm ??) maybe add more memory too.
there will be very few no games you cannot play, and if you do need more cpu grunt , then the gfx card is still good to go for the future.
Or you could get a LapTop.

The 6300 has given good service for five years. I expect that you will want a later motherboard and this is where it gets expensive with memory. 2 x 4Gb could be a good start and would knock £60-70 off the above prices, you could also go Ryzen 1 series.

8320 would probably not give more in gaming FPS depending on the potential overclocks.

A faster graphics card may be a good shout if gaming is the priority but check on the quality of the PSU

Total: £332.43 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Thanks all for the responses!

So after seeing those suggested components, I really did not anticipate RAM to be so expensive! Although I do get that ill have to change that and the mobo. Could I just get a single stick of RAM to half that cost, or 2x4GB, or is that not recommended?

Roughly around the £300 mark is probably my budget for the three and I'm not to keen on buying a new graphics card but if it's really worth it I could splash out. Although would I need more than 500W PSU to run it all?

I do more gaming than CAD right now, and the CAD I will be doing for the rest of my degree shouldn't be too complex so I can imagine the i5 8400 would be more suited towards my needs

£300 budget with 8GB Ram:
Ram Vulcan T-Force 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHz £69
CPU Ryzen 1600X £150
Board GA-AB350M-Gam5ing 3 AMD B350 £73
Comes to £301.

£300 budget with 16GB Ram:
Ram Vulcan T-Force 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHz £159
CPU Ryzen 3 2200G £86
Comes to £318

Or
Ram Vulcan T-Force 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHz £159
CPU Ryzen 1600X £150
Comes to £381

Beg, borrow turn the couch inside out for change fallen in it..... spend the extra £80 for the 6 core with 16GB Ram, it will keep you right for another 5 years.

The 6300 has given good service for five years. I expect that you will want a later motherboard and this is where it gets expensive with memory. 2 x 4Gb could be a good start and would knock £60-70 off the above prices, you could also go Ryzen 1 series.

8320 would probably not give more in gaming FPS depending on the potential overclocks.

A faster graphics card may be a good shout if gaming is the priority but check on the quality of the PSU

Total: £332.43 (includes shipping: £10.50)
I would drop that mobo down to a cheaper A320 board and the spend an extra £20 to get to 16GB of ram

AMD has said socket AM4 will be supported for the next few years,and the Z370 chipset does not look like it will be long lived,as it is a repurposed Kaby Lake one and the Z390 is probably going to replace it.

Considering you kept your last platform for 5 years,beware of thinking for the short term as many enthusiasts here will dump their platforms before that. I would suspect not only will AM4 compatible motherboards be made for much longer(AMD made noise about support until 2020),the chances of you plonking in a faster CPU down the line is more likely.

I would argue that for an infrequent upgrader, chipset longevity should be even less of a factor as by say 2023 I suspect that any budget motherboard is going to likely need replacing anyway. I get where you are coming from i.e. it would improve the chances of finding a decent second hand cpu (say a high end 2020 model) but who knows what other stuff you might miss out on in terms of new connectivity, faster storage etc that could come available in five years time. I've been upgrading PCs for over 20 years (typically every 1.5-2yrs until I got Ivybridge) and not once have I ever bought a cpu without also buying a mobo.

My view is that as your looking to keep this for a while then its important to get the most resources now for it.
Ram can be upgraded down the line so i would leave it at 8Gb the now but as soon as possible later go for another 8.

As for the CPU, i really doubt the non hyperthreaded cpus from intel will fair well in the future - heck i dont think the 8700k will come off well against the equivalent 2700 from AMD down the road as its simply got far fewer resources.
Minimum i would go is the 1600/2600 but personally i would try and push that budget out further so an 8 core is there - you will benefit more down the line.

Im happy with my budget build, I got some cheapo 16gb ram for £100 and i5 8400 for £160 and motherboard was around £120. I stuck mine with a gtx 1080 which I got for £430. I don't think I could have got more gaming performance for the money.

8400 is great cpu for gaming and up there with the best cpu's from last year that cost twice the price. It has no troubles powering the gtx 1080.

They didn't have the cheap motherboards when I bought mine but at least with me getting the £100 motherbaord it gives me a decent upgrade path in the future, say in a couple of years time if I need more cpu power I can always swap the 8400 out for second hand 8600k or 8700k.

Something worth considering with the cheaper motherboards if they don't support overclocking then you would have no upgrade path in the future.

Last edited:
I would argue that for an infrequent upgrader, chipset longevity should be even less of a factor as by say 2023 I suspect that any budget motherboard is going to likely need replacing anyway. I get where you are coming from i.e. it would improve the chances of finding a decent second hand cpu (say a high end 2020 model) but who knows what other stuff you might miss out on in terms of new connectivity, faster storage etc that could come available in five years time. I've been upgrading PCs for over 20 years (typically every 1.5-2yrs until I got Ivybridge) and not once have I ever bought a cpu without also buying a mobo.

I am an infrequent platform upgrader,and during the period after Haswell launched my socket 1155 motherboard went kaput just outside of warranty.

I have a mini-ITX IB based system,and the few remaining reasonable boards had gone to silly prices since they were not made anymore,and I ended up having very little choice at £100 to £110,so ended up having to get a B75 one which had worse specs than the one I had before and the price was not even that great(probably down to production ending). If it had been later,I would have had to get a secondhand motherboard with no warranty or get a POS H61 one which would lack even PCI-E 3.0,and even secondhand the prices won't be always good.

Also getting a new CPU and motherboard would have been pointless,since I was far more GPU limited than CPU limited(I had a GTX660 at the time),which I suspect many gamers are as they are on 60/60TI series Nvidia card and slower and the AMD equivalents.

So for me,its not only about CPUs,but the fact that since AM4 will be supported for years,even if the motherboard goes out of warranty within a few years,and goes kaput,you can get a replacement much easier.

For a lot of enthusiasts here,they want the latest and greatest,and plenty will ditch hardware within 3 years,to get new shiny especially if they are always buying higher end graphics cards.

Plus,you need to consider many gamers are running slower cards,only with a GTX1080 do I feel my IB Core i7 is starting to be an issue.

But that is the advantage of having a longer supported platform,if you need a faster CPU you can upgrade with less hassle.

I mean my mate when he heard of CFL,fancied an upgrade from his Core i7 6700 to a Core i7 8700 due to the extra threads for stuff he does.

The moment he heard that Intel made sure it wouldn't happen,he gave up and in his previous rig he did upgrade the CPU down the line. I have a strong feeling he might get Ryzen 3 at this rate - if CFL worked in his board he probably would have not bothered even looking at a new CPU for the next few years.

Even for me,the game I have the most performance issues will have the biggest upgrade with an Intel CFL CPU,so I am biased towards an Intel CPU currently especially with an over 20% performance advantage for Intel,but I don't want to invest in a stop-gap rebranded Z270 chipset.

I would rather wait longer term for something like a Z390,or the second tranch of updated boards which have definite compatability with Intel 10NM CPUs in 2019/2020.

I really hope Intel starts going back to keeping compatability for longer.

Regarding upgrading CPUs,like a fair number of my gaming mates we started with slower CPUs and upgraded down the line. I started with a Core i3 2100 since there was no real need for me to get a faster CPU at the time and I already had scouted out my upgrade path in the Xeon E3 line once they appeared in the UK(which I was taking about here long before many noticed it) when I had a fast enough graphics card. It actually cost me less to do this than buy a Core i7 2600 at the time,and with an HD5850 it wasn't like most games I played at the time really needed a 4C/4T CPU,as again I was more GPU limited.

Heck,if it were not for my overclocked Q6600 975X Shuttle SFF rig having some issues after nearly 5 years,I might have not upgraded at the time. Plus with that rig,I had E4000 series CPUs first followed by a Q6600. The Q6600 cost silly money at launch and the 975X wasn't even the best chipset for a Q6660 so it was cheaper to upgrade to one later.That is how long I stay on platforms.

In fact amongst gaming mates,I have seen quite a few upgrade CPUs on the same board if they can,so its not uncommon TBF. Probably less on an enthusiast forum,but the word enthusiast gives it away. People are more likely to throw money at their upgrade in the first place.

PS:

Sorry for the long reply! :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom