50,000 miles in 6 years with a 2006 750i - What did it cost??

Transmission breaker
Don
In March 2016 I was looking for a new car, I went to see a 2006 E65 750i, and ended up taking it home. It was a hell of an upgrade from the 1994 318is that I had bought as a temporary run-about for £400 from eBay after handing back an XF on finance. Recently I notched up 50k and had a little think about the car, and decided to document it, just in case anyone is interested!

These were the pictures from the advert:
750i1.jpg

750i2.jpg

750i3.jpg

750i4.jpg

750i5.jpg

It had a full main dealer service history, and a seemingly very low 49k on the clock. After test driving it twice, I bought it at sticker price in the end. The guy would not move at all.

A lot of people said I was crazy, it was a timebomb, gearbox was a disaster waiting to happen, engine was going to die in minutes, electronics would all fail, it was too complex and it would cost an arm and a leg to maintain.

Initially all seemed fine, then within a couple of weeks I thought I saw it smoking a bit at idle.. And then I learnt all about valve stem seals (VSS) on these engines...... Long story short, it had a small issue at this time, but nothing major. If I left it idling for 5 mins, it would produce a pretty large smoke screen when cold. It was much worse when cold, and when warm is was far less of an issue. So after a rather long "discussion" with the dealer, I was being overly worried, it was certainly going to be a concern in the future, but practically, it was fine for daily use for quite a while. I was won over by the car otherwise, so was willing to deal with it when it became a bigger issue.

So, next milestone, I did some routine maintenance in 2017, spark plugs, and PCV's. Spark plugs as they were due, and the back 2 were a pain, and the valve stem seal issue was slowly getting worse, and the PCV are one way to help reduce this problem a little, and it did make a small difference, but just delaying the inevitable.

I had a few small issues at this time, the CD changer was not working well, which actually was not a problem for me, was not actually using it! I also could not use the heated seat on the driver's side, as it had a VERY hot spot, and it was going to burn through the seat... Otherwise, it was driving fine, just slowly the VSS were degrading. I was using a litre of oil ever 2000 miles or so at this time. So I was regularly topping up, which actually was probably quite a good thing, as it kept the 8 litres in there quite fresh between scheduled maintenance changes!

In terms of issues (excluding routine maintenance) over the 6 years there was nothing too major (well, mostly!):

Boot automatic opening/close was failing - I managed to track down the correct fluid (Aeroshell 41 iirc) much cheaper than BMW sells it!. I also found a small leak from one side, it was a very very slow. So i used a small sponge to collect it as it leaked, topped up the level, and its been working fine ever since. I expect it will need topping up every 2-3 years, which is not a major issue for me.
Total costs - about £35 for the tub of fluid, which will do me for the life of the car for sure. £35

I had a couple of split alloys - One I had repaired professionally for £60, another I bought a second hand wheel for £60, and the last time, I took it to a mate (master welder!) who fixed it for me. - £120

It has had a little problem with the sunroof drains:
750irooflining1.jpg

They were getting clogged, but with a bit of investigation, I found where these drain. I then gave them all a proper clean out, and flush. Its something I will do yearly after the autumn as leaf litter builds up and can clog them slowly. I did open up the drain end slightly, as it was using a sort of flappy valve at the end that held water a little and opened when it was under enough pressure to open, and this was getting clogged with crud. Opening it up should stop that problem mostly going forwards, but is not hard to check once a year. - £0

It had an exhaust blow at one point, but this turned out to be a split at a loose join, and was fixed for free in 5 mins by a local garage when I enquired about a repair. - £0

I had a coolant leak, and this turned out to be a worn o-ring on the radiator lower temp sensor. I bought a new one from BMW and replaced it - £5

Routine maintenance over 6 years:

4 or 5 oil changes, I forget really, and usually using oil I buy in bulk, so approx £80 or so for the oil and a little more for the filter, call it £100 a time. - £500
Spark plugs 1 full set in 2017 - £52.72
Rear discs/pads were done in 2018 - approx £200
Front discs/pads done in 2022 - £180
Gearbox Fluid/Pan/Seals change was done earlier this year, as it is supposed to be done every 100k - £500
Its had two brake fluid flush/changes in my ownership at about £80 a pop. - £160
A few bulbs and things, including changing the Halo bulbs twice in my ownership, which requires removing the bumper - All in about £100
Bonnet struts/rams - Swapped these out as they were not holding the bonnet very well - £15
Windscreen replacement - Insurance

TOTAL - £1707.72

Then, the elephant in the room.

The VSS... They eventually caused an MOT failure in Feb 2020:

Exhaust emits excessive dense blue smoke during acceleration (8.2.1.2 (g)) - Major
Exhaust emits dense blue smoke at idle (8.2.1.2 (f)) - Major

Emissions not tested due to level of blue smoke (8.2.1.2 (d)) - Major

Initially as I drove home, I thought that was the end for the car. Dealers quote nearly 10k for the job, and independent (if you can find one to take it on) were quoting anywhere from 3k to 6k *figures are hazy here.

However, I had researched the issue many times over the years, and found a company that will hire out a kit to let you change the seals yourself at home, all in for £500. Some pics mid job.

750iVSS1.jpg

750iVSS2.jpg

As you can see, it was back breaking and took 40 or so hours, but has solved the problem completely. I am now not getting any notifications to top up on oil between scheduled changes. It was up to about a litre every 700 miles at the very worst..

Shortly after this I was on holiday with the family, and a nice chap reversed his caravan into the side whilst I was sat about 10 feet away. I knew it was coming and watched the whole thing unfold through a window, with no way to intervene.
750iDOORoops.jpg

The repair went well, no major issues afterwards, except I managed to pull the same door handle off one day, as it seems it was not quite re-installed correctly. I managed to get this fixed on the driveway, and it has been fine since.

So, when it comes to maintenance costs:
Unscheduled maintenance: £160
Scheduled maintenance:£1707.72
Maintenance totals:£1867.72
Average Yearly maintenance costs £311

I have ignored things like tyres/washer fluid and other non-car specific things in most cases, I have probably missed a few small bits that I did during that time, but its mostly accurate :)

Oh, and the other Elephant in the room - Fuel...

If I take 50,000 miles, at an average of 25mpg (quite close to my usual average with quite a few longer runs in there) it has cost me about...........

£14000 in unleaded over 6 years!

However, it has not been quite the pocket buster many people thought it would be. And it's now firmly in the "banger" end of the market for value. No one really wants a 5 litre v8, or a massive saloon, or old BMWs... My plan now is to just keep it running. Fix anything simple that comes up, and see how far it can go with regular maintenance. Cosmetically it's stood up well. I have some flaking paint on the alloys in places, and a bit of light scratching down the sides from driving down country lanes, but she scrubs up nicely enough! It is still an absolute joy to drive, the ride is superb, and it handles well for a big beast. For long journeys, it can carry the whole family in comfort, and you arrive not really feeling like you have driven for too long.

Will I make it to 150,000? Who knows!

Last edited:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Nice writeup, thanks for sharing :)
Out of interest, may I ask what you paid for it back in 2016?

Man of Honour
However, it has not been quite the pocket buster many people thought it would be.

It required a repair that took 40 hours - which for 99% of people who are not skilled in mechanics would have cost thousands of pounds.

It's a fantastic car and obviously you have the skills to keep it on the road which is brilliant but that huge repair basically sums up why for most people, these cars are a bad idea :D

Soldato
£14k in fuel over 6 years, running less than average mileage, when the price was much lower than today :eek:

So long as you’re happy :)

My ‘claim to fame’ - I hitched a ride in one of these in 2004, with the FD of BMW in the back. (I was doing some photography work for a BMW partner and he was a guest speaker). Think it was the 760 Li version.

:: EDIT ::
Still got the photos

52153139759_a64f2f6447_b.jpg

52153140314_553e6baec8_b.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
The VSS... They eventually caused an MOT failure in Feb 2020:
nice one .. it's the vanos system you dealt with ? that was what i expected, but vss is throwing up variable speed steering from google ?? but that wouldn't cause smoke and wouldn't have cam shaft covers off.

you're hanging on for the time being then ? road tax is becoming a bit unpalatable too, on 200g+ bmw's

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
Nice writeup, thanks for sharing :)
Out of interest, may I ask what you paid for it back in 2016?

Nice!
Did you get the headlining cleaned?

I used Autoglym Interior Shampoo, and I would recommend it highly, it came up perfectly:
750irooflining9.jpg

I have used it on many things, many times, including the carpet of my house :D

Nice writeup, fair play on doing the stem seals yourself, on your drive no less!

Cheers, it was hard to get started, mentally, as it was a tough task, and the hours required. The first start afterwards was a nerve-wracking experience!!

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
nice one .. it's the vanos system you dealt with ? that was what i expected, but vss is throwing up variable speed steering from google ?? but that wouldn't cause smoke and wouldn't have cam shaft covers off.

you're hanging on for the time being then ? road tax is becoming a bit unpalatable too, on 200g+ bmw's

Valve Stem Seals :)
Yup, planning to keep hold of it, its only £360 a year. Not exactly a huge issue over 12 months! I doubt anyone would pay much more than 2k for one of these nowerdays, so its hardly worth selling imho. To buy something equivalent would be MUCH more expensive!

Soldato
Valve Stem Seals :)
Yup, planning to keep hold of it, its only £360 a year. Not exactly a huge issue over 12 months! I doubt anyone would pay much more than 2k for one of these nowerdays, so its hardly worth selling imho. To buy something equivalent would be MUCH more expensive!

If you think it's worth 2k, I think you should definitely sell it (to me) :cry:

Associate
Nice write up. I know what you mean about those back two spark plugs being a pain, I remember swearing a lot when I done mine, on my 650i when I had it. Sounds like we same failure on the on the O-ring also. Good engine, apart from when the valve stem seals go or the when valley pipe leaks.

Soldato
Old BMWs are shocking money pits, this is why you can buy them so cheaply.
It’s only viable if you can do your own repairs and even then it’s borderline.
I think the current ‘cost of living’ crisis will see many of these old smokers off. (That’s the point of it?)

Caporegime
Nice review and credit where it’s due for the stem seals, I’ve seen a few on the face of it cheap 650 and 750’s recently, I’d put money on them having the same issue as it seems it’s a not if but when problem that hits them all and kills the desirability even more than the looks… :D

Always puzzled me that on the older M62 V8 the stem seals weren’t regarded as a big problem but the chain guides - in some climates - were, BMW are fond of plastic parts where they shouldn’t be and the chain guides at this age and mileage would be the next worry although I’d hope they addressed this on the later V8’s, it would still bother me though…

Epic bargains for someone proficient with spanners, but an absolute money pit for anyone relying on a garage for such work (like myself!) although given you’ve covered the major issues in these you should be at the higher end of values for one of these as most people - in the know - are put off by these jobs being on the horizon, that should give good service for a long time yet or be a steal for its next owner, so long as those chain guides don’t act up….

Soldato
Nice writeup - agree that cars like this only make sense if you are willing to get the spanners out for the big ticket items. I went through something similar when I had my old E39, if I'd have taken that in everytime it needed a repair I'd have been in some serious trouble.

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
Another year has gone by, ticked over 110k recently (And yes, I got a photo at 111,111 on the odometer :D)

I did have a slight issue with the MOT:

04/05/2023 10:49
Fail
Mileage:
109,264 miles
+ 9,421 miles travelled since last MOT.
Refusal Notices
Nearside front anti-roll bar linkage ball joint dust cover no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (5.3.4 (b) (ii)) - Major
Offside front anti-roll bar linkage ball joint dust cover no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (5.3.4 (b) (ii)) - Major
Advisory Notices
Nearside rear suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement lower arm, inner front bush (5.3.4 (a) (i))
Offside rear suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement lower arm, inner front bush (5.3.4 (a) (i))
Oil leak, but not excessive (8.4.1 (a) (i))

But we got the ARBs refreshed, and re-tested by my new local garage (who are brilliant, and actually invited me out to a karting event with them!).
06/05/2023 08:25
Pass
Mileage:
109,280 miles
+ 16 miles travelled since last MOT.
Advisory Notices
Nearside rear suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement lower arm, inner front bush (5.3.4 (a) (i))
Offside rear suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement lower arm, inner front bush (5.3.4 (a) (i))
Oil leak, but not excessive (8.4.1 (a) (i))

It turns out the oil leak was a slightly dodgy sump plug, which has since been sorted! The rear arms are holding on well, it's been an advisory for 2 years now, without any excessive play. So I will keep an eye on them, and look at options before they become a problem, hopefully not for a few years yet :)

Recently the rear brakes pinged up as needing doing from the OBC. I checked the discs and the thickness was not below the min, but seemed silly not to replace them whilst doing the pads.

750iRearBrakes1.jpg

Newly fitted Bosch discs, and Breck Brake pads going in. Not done much work on this gravel driveway, but with the correct application of planks of wood, some carpet mats, and power-tools, we were done in short order.

I was a little worried about replacing the wear sensor, as I had heard stories of the clips/plugs disintegrating on cars of this vintage, as last time I did this was quite a few years ago now.. However, they unclipped in short order with no damage :)

750iRearBrakes2.jpg

Old equipment in the foreground, ready for my next visit to the tip!

It would have been much faster if I was not having to hide (both myself and my tools) from the randomly appearing rain/thunder showers on regular intervals!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom