50" Plasma, 50" LED or 50" 3D Television?

Soldato
Given the black level and IR problems i wouldn't buy any recent Panasonic plasma, these are very real issues.....who wants a 1-1.5k tv that gets progressively worse with age.

The newer Sony LCD's are actually very good tv's, the EX range for eg. and aren't plagued by the Pana problems.

Soldato
Given the black level and IR problems i wouldn't buy any recent Panasonic plasma, these are very real issues.....who wants a 1-1.5k tv that gets progressively worse with age.

The newer Sony LCD's are actually very good tv's, the EX range for eg. and aren't plagued by the Pana problems.

true for the G series, how many units does it really affect is still debabtable, (still wouldn't want to chance it) but hopefully the V series will not have this problem since it uses different tech for blacks

really miss pioneer quality. hopefully they will come back in full force in not too distant future

Soldato
I'm sure they released a statement ages ago indicating the V series will still have the MLL rise but it will be more gradual - all plasmas do it so it's unavoidable but Panasonics is aggressive.

As far as how many ppl it affects with the G range, i would think most just aren't aware or have few hrs on their sets ......can't imagine why it would only affect some sets and not others - after all Panasonic do call their particular MLL rise a 'feature' :p ...the reported IR some are experiencing is just as concerning to me.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Love that screen absolutely lovely looking! Think i may get it! What do yout hink of its bigger brother the LG 50PK790 i can get it for £910 delivered!

Not too sure on the differences, the screen will be the same however the 790 might have wifi and some other little things, just for reference ended up getting mine for £769 each, total bargain, after running it for a few days i'm really really happy with this screen its got amazing colours, goto your local electrical shop and try one out :)

Soldato
You can buy the new 3d Plasma - 50" Samsung PS50C7000 for £1,248, then grab the 3d blu ray player and a few glasses = :)

If you want to go big, then you can also pick up the 3d 63" Samsung PS63C7000 for just over £2000

Other option and the screen I am waiting on is the 3d Panasonic TXP50VT20. Can be had for £1999 online and I have seen it in person. Absolutely lovely in both 2d and 3d aspects. Just awaiting delivery now :)

Associate
I too am interested in a new TV, and was gutted that i couldn't get the Pioneer LX5090 or the KRP variant of it, as they are now discontinued.

The Kuro is absolutely unmatched in the black levels and the picture quality is amazing, bought up and used unsurprisingly enough by a lot of reviewing centres as a reference TV.

I've been doing a little bit of research which you may or may not find useful in your search for a TV.

At the moment, plasma is or was at it's pinnacle in delivering the best picture, as demonstrated by the Kuro. So i've been looking for a successor if you will, and the Panasonic range blipped onto my radar after some searching. Which is why i don't really feel that LCD / LED backlit LCDs are up to my needs.

Pioneer are sharing their technology with Panasonic in making their 2010 range of plasma. Some techs even went over from Pioneer to Panasonic, so it's safe to say that there is some Kuro technology in the new model range, and the model i'm specifically interested in is the VT20.

VT20 is the flagship that has been released, followed by the V20 which is half the price. V20 is their flagship 2D TV, VT20 as has been said already is their 3D television. V20 goes for roughly £1-1.5k and the VT20 goes for £2-2.5k.

Now i initially though that, ok 3d is a bit too gimmicky for the time being so not much point in it. 1st gen things are always a bit experimental and it won't be long until something better is released. And tbh i'm not interested in 3D anyway.

To the point.

VT20 uses 2 scan layers which stimulate the phos quicker than the V20 in order to improve response time for 3D.

So yeah it costs a lot more than the V20, but the VT20 would be now unrivalled for 2D picture quality and realistic gaming, oh and it does 3D too.

Also there's a VT25 that delves a bit more into 3D apparently, for later this year.

Soldato
OP
Not too sure on the differences, the screen will be the same however the 790 might have wifi and some other little things, just for reference ended up getting mine for £769 each, total bargain, after running it for a few days i'm really really happy with this screen its got amazing colours, goto your local electrical shop and try one out :)

I went for the screen you got!

Can't wait for it to be delivered now!

All I need to do now is get a good media centre and surround sound setup!

What do you guys think of the logitech 5.1 setup for a surround sound system?

Caporegime
:) Enjoy, just watch for static objects on the screen, it will take a good few weeks for the true colours in the set to come out, but even after 30 mins of running you can see the picture getting better and better.

Soldato
OP
:) Enjoy, just watch for static objects on the screen, it will take a good few weeks for the true colours in the set to come out, but even after 30 mins of running you can see the picture getting better and better.

What are my solutions for wall mounting and cable concealing?

My sockets are half way up the wall and I am unsure about channelling cables into the wall, are there any good units or management solutions I should consider? As I want the whole area to look top notch. I have PS3, sky hd, and media centre and maybe an amp in time.

Caporegime
Depends on the type of wall, if its a new house and not and outside wall forget about attaching the tv to the wall without puting some large chunks of wood in cavity first, once you've done this i would run a drainpipe down the inside of the wall.

My preference would be to mount the TV on the wall with the usual bracket and go read some reviews about the new LG wireless system to stream HD content via a special wifi box link, details about the model numbers are in the manual which you can download on-line.

Power wise (on brick walls) you have little choice but to knock a chunk out the wall.

Soldato
OP
Depends on the type of wall, if its a new house and not and outside wall forget about attaching the tv to the wall without puting some large chunks of wood in cavity first, once you've done this i would run a drainpipe down the inside of the wall.

My preference would be to mount the TV on the wall with the usual bracket and go read some reviews about the new LG wireless system to stream HD content via a special wifi box link, details about the model numbers are in the manual which you can download on-line.

Power wise (on brick walls) you have little choice but to knock a chunk out the wall.

Have you got a link for that?

Does it work with sky and ps3?

Soldato
OP
Soldato
Ok so a mate of mine bought a 50" VT20 today.
As I have the G20 he wanted me to go around and configure his wireless and DLNA streaming.
First impressions is that it is a beautiful set, aesthetically sexy. SD picture good, Sky HD great, didn't get to view Blu-Ray and had a go on the PS3 which was stunning.

All the above I guess is what you'd expect from a 2 and a half grand TV, so of course all I wanted to do was cut to the chase and view the 3D capabilities.
Firstly the glasses that came with the TV are mad bits of kit. Initially I was expecting some of them cinema jobs having not read that much about how these TV's present 3D, but oh no, these were some spacey looking Oakley jobs that looked very impressive and were comfortable to wear.
Long story short. Was really impressed with the 3D (admittedly only Sky 3D preview) picture which was reminiscent of my experiences with Avatar, Alice in Wonderland and the not so impressive Clash of the Titans.

However!

What we both found to be a royal pita was due to the way the glasses worked there was a noticeable constant flicker on any area of the glasses that weren't directed at the TV i.e. on the periphery of the glasses. And I mean really noticeable.

Did my experience with a new 3D TV convince me that it's something I'll be interested in?

Oh yes.

Would it be anytime soon?

Not until they better integrate the sending and receiving of the image or at least design a pair of glasses that don't make viewing 3D images as obvious (if that makes sense).

Oh, and when I find a buyer for one of my kidneys. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
were you in a bright room ? we find the glasses dont have any flicker when the room is dark.

as for the PQ its stunning all round, i put the FA cup final in HD on and it looked amazing, i would love to own one.

we have one to sell at £1999 then its back to the normal price, and it has the pan 5yr warranty to :D

Soldato
were you in a bright room ? we find the glasses dont have any flicker when the room is dark.

My bad forgot to mention that very large factor.
Yeah mate, really bright. I kinda commented to my mate that that was contributing to it.
Would love to see it at night or in a darkened room.

Overall very impressed.

Soldato
You can buy the new 3d Plasma - 50" Samsung PS50C7000 for £1,248, then grab the 3d blu ray player and a few glasses = :)

If you want to go big, then you can also pick up the 3d 63" Samsung PS63C7000 for just over £2000 :)

where are you finding them so cheap?

The LED LCD PS55C8000 is £3000!!

Back
Top Bottom