• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

50 series card + AM4 @ 4k?

Man of Honour
Obviously nobody knows the answer to this… just fielding for opinions :)

I have a 5950x, gaming at 4k (TV) - 120fps max. No productivity, just gamez.

Upgrading to AM5 is going to cost £500-£700, probs. I can’t help but think this is money best put towards a 50 series card… it’s not like the 5950x is a pipsqueak. Yeah it’ll probably bottleneck the 50 series card but at 4k I’m not sure that matters.

Anyone else thinking the same?

Depends on what you're upgrading from. If you have something old like a 1070, sure, I'd buy the 5070 (...or whatever).

Obviously nobody knows the answer to this… just fielding for opinions :)

I have a 5950x, gaming at 4k (TV) - 120fps max. No productivity, just gamez.

Upgrading to AM5 is going to cost £500-£700, probs. I can’t help but think this is money best put towards a 50 series card… it’s not like the 5950x is a pipsqueak. Yeah it’ll probably bottleneck the 50 series card but at 4k I’m not sure that matters.

Anyone else thinking the same?
Best bet would be to sell the 5950X and pick up a 5700X3D or 5800X3D. It'd cost very little and significantly improve minimum frame rates/reduce bottlenecking.

I am in a similar position but have a 5900X and only plan on going for a RTX 5070/80.

The question I asked myself is can the cpu hit at least 60fps? I think it will. But if I do start finding games where there are loads of big bottlenecks then I would consider splashing the cash.

I really want to avoid AM5 and go directly to AM6 platform. But who knows.

It wont be a huge deal at 4K

Yes you will lose some frames compared to the best CPU on the market but the important thing is would you even notice in real world use.
I doubt it very much because the gap would not be large enough.

Best bet would be to sell the 5950X and pick up a 5700X3D or 5800X3D. It'd cost very little and significantly improve minimum frame rates/reduce bottlenecking.

Cheers for the response.

Stupid question perhaps, but… will it?

Perhaps there is obvious data lost to time, or I’m just not looking hard enough, but wouldn’t the performance be similar-ish at 4k?

What puts me off is a lot of comments suggesting that the 5800x3d is comparatively sluggish in Windows. Again, could be misleading nonsense.

Back
Top Bottom