£500-600 Mouse, Keyboard, Headset, Mouse pad

Associate
Hello bros, new rig is coming to me so I need a new periphereals as well. There so many that I can't decide. It doesn't matter for me if it's going to be wireless or not. Usually, I'm playing PUBG and LOL so need good headphones to point a location of the enemy. My budget is around £500-600. As for the keyboard I thought about Corsair K95 but I know nothing about periphereals so I'm looking for an advice.

Thanks.

Associate
Associate
OP
Just one question bro, what's the purpose of that stand? I've read that it has 7.1 sound but no clue how it works. Obviously gonna get it, just a little bit curious :)

Associate
Just one question bro, what's the purpose of that stand? I've read that it has 7.1 sound but no clue how it works. Obviously gonna get it, just a little bit curious :)

To be honest I chose the stand to complete the set :)
I cant comment on how good the headset is as I rarely use one myself.

Soldato
Soldato
Usually, I'm playing PUBG and LOL so need good headphones to point a location of the enemy. My budget is around £500-600. As for the keyboard I thought about Corsair K95 but I know nothing about periphereals so I'm looking for an advice.
For keyboard do you have experience from mechanical switches?
Also would you like keyboard be quieter?
If you have currently membrane/rubber dome keyboard most mechanical keyboards would be quite a lot noisier.

I've read that it has 7.1 sound but no clue how it works. Obviously gonna get it, just a little bit curious :)
7.1 is something used to sell trinkets.
Forget gaming brand headphones/sets.
Most of them are bling blinged very cheap Chinese productions.
Further closed design is bad thing for sound quality even for actual audio makers.
While enabling strong lowest "rumbling" bass it causes huge challenges for balancing sound and usually totally craps soundstage.

If you have quiet environment good open headphones are way better for sound, while also lowering risk of sweating.
You could easily get absolute top level competitiveness headphones to that budget like bass neutral AKG K701/702.
Or then something more balanced with more "fun factor" with stronger bass impact.
Unlike in closed headphones with tiny soundstage in open design you can fit in some bass without it instantly and completely drowning details.

Besides 360 sense of direction good open headphones also give very good feel of distance... while cheap closed headphones are in comparison like head in bucket under water.
This can literally sound like being in there instead of listening recording:

But with bad headphones those don't sound from anything special.
Binaural sound and big airy soundstage headphones have kinda symbiosis.

Associate
OP
For keyboard do you have experience from mechanical switches?
Also would you like keyboard be quieter?
If you have currently membrane/rubber dome keyboard most mechanical keyboards would be quite a lot noisier.

7.1 is something used to sell trinkets.
Forget gaming brand headphones/sets.
Most of them are bling blinged very cheap Chinese productions.
Further closed design is bad thing for sound quality even for actual audio makers.
While enabling strong lowest "rumbling" bass it causes huge challenges for balancing sound and usually totally craps soundstage.

If you have quiet environment good open headphones are way better for sound, while also lowering risk of sweating.
You could easily get absolute top level competitiveness headphones to that budget like bass neutral AKG K701/702.
Or then something more balanced with more "fun factor" with stronger bass impact.
Unlike in closed headphones with tiny soundstage in open design you can fit in some bass without it instantly and completely drowning details.

Besides 360 sense of direction good open headphones also give very good feel of distance... while cheap closed headphones are in comparison like head in bucket under water.
This can literally sound like being in there instead of listening recording:

But with bad headphones those don't sound from anything special.
Binaural sound and big airy soundstage headphones have kinda symbiosis.

Thank you for your long answer. As for the keyboard I've played on the mechanical one but it wasn't so noisy, don't remember the make thought.

Those AKG'S are for the £120, if I would have like £200 or £250 would you recommend something by better or stay with those AKG's and just enjoy myself? :)

Soldato
Thank you for your long answer. As for the keyboard I've played on the mechanical one but it wasn't so noisy, don't remember the make thought.
Then that keyboard likely wasn't with Cherry MX Blue or some copies of those...
Because with actual purposely added sound effect those really remind me of old mechanical type writers. :p

Anyway "mechanical" switches (not all of them are based to mechanical contact) behave differently from standard membrane/rubber dome keyboards, which detect key press during bottoming.
Instead mechanical switches have actuation point about half way their travel so their feel is important.
And there are two types:
Ones with linear force curve with resistance increasing depending on how deep they're pressed.
And non-linear switches with (usually) some higher esistance bump before actuation and then dropping back to linear curve.

Linear switches with light bottoming (MX Red) for convenient holding of some crouching/running key with pinkie (weakest finger) have little feel before actuation.
And hence would be more prone to accidental presses if you rest fingers on keys.
Stronger linear switches like MX Black are again more resisting to keeping them bottomed.
Non-linear switch like MX Brown gives MX Black level resistance bump before actuation while bottoming is light as in MX Red.
Because of that I would consider it good starter switch with nice combination of features.

Myself got 4½ year ago Logitech G710+ with MX Brown after having couple times tested four most common MX switches in shop.
It has actually factory installer rubber o-rings to soften bottoming noise, but would still like less noise.
(+no dampening to noise of key rising back to top position)
Also "old" single colour lighted Cherry MX switch has problems in illuminating all marking of key cap.
If pricing for Romer-G equipped Logitech G810/910 would be same here in Finland as in UK would order one instantly.
That Omron made switch was designed to be quieter than standard mechanical switches. (besides little shorter travel for tiny bit faster operation)
Cherry has Silent version of their MX switches, but those are very rarely used and I've found only couple Corsairs with MX Red force curve variant.

Cherry MX RGB also has even illumination of key cap markings.
But with transparent switch frame its light leaks out from all around key caps for very flashy look, while Romer-G keeps all light focused to key cap markings for very subtle style:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unHoA5osg9g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8KbymFVePM
Might want to consider that considering price of these keyboards...

Associate
OP
@EsaT

Again thank you, will look into them, but what about my question to headphones, get that AKG's or do you have something better in price of 200-250 to recommend :)?

Soldato
Those AKG'S are for the £120, if I would have like £200 or £250 would you recommend something by better or stay with those AKG's and just enjoy myself? :)
For competitive gaming don't know if there's any better headphones no matter how much more expensive.
AKG has simply huge binaural soundstage.
Also unlike Audio-Technicas with tin can level bass K701/702 has good bass if you lsiten for it and it actually reaches pretty low:
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCo...[]=703&graphID[]=2621&graphID[]=2661&scale=30
It just always takes back seat to details keeping foot steps and such very pronounced.

For balanced sound between competitiveness and good "fun factor" around £200 K712 adds above neutral bass: Soundstage and positioning is pretty equal, but when there's any lower frequency sounds foot steps and such simply aren't so pronounced.
Beyerdynamic DT990 whose Pro version with coiled cable is ~£100 is another well balanced headphone for gaming. Its bass has little more immersion than in K712, but with notch smaller soundstage than AKGs it's little behind K712 in competitiveness.

In November bought second hand K702 for neutral bass reference and K712 to go with five years old DT990 and have done direct comparisons of these.
As for comfort Beyerdynamic has lots of adjustment in headband and if you have wider top-narrower down head shape it would behave better.
AKG has "automatic" adjusment in headband partially relying on clamping force to keep cups positioned over ears, so with such head shape those might try to creep down.

But instead of paying extra in headphones sound card with binaural sound is needed for proper "aural wall hacking".
The sad truth is that while marketing keeps hyping graphics (even at expense of gameplay/story quality like usual) game sounds haven't advanced in 15 years.
Most games don't even have own sound settings where you could select headphones, and in most of those exceptions headphone mode is likely just crossfeed...
To eliminate artificial in one ear sound of stereo/2.0 speaker mix listened with headphones:
With speakers sound of one channel reaches also opposite ear, but with headphones that doesn't happen.
Windows 10 has its Windows Sonic for Headphones and while better than stereo compared to Creative's algorithms it's average.

Sound BlasterX AE-5 has one of the best headphone outputs of any sound cards and is capable to driving any headphone.
For external USB card Sound BlasterX G5 is pretty similar though using little less capable parts.
Sound Blaster Z again has very good features for its price, but headphone output isn't that capable.

Associate
OP
@EsaT Thanks bro for your help, it means a lot to me that u explained everything so widely. I picked AKG 702 and also k95 brown. Just wanted to say thanks. Next month gonna grab a soundcard, just not sure which one should I pick, maybe I will go for a USB one, easy to mount :p. Need to pick a mic as well, maybe gonna go for the blue yeti, mainstream. Anyway, cheers pal!

Edit: Probably gonna pick Sound BlasterX AE-5 for that sweet RGB :D

V F

V F

Soldato
For competitive gaming don't know if there's any better headphones no matter how much more expensive.
AKG has simply huge binaural soundstage.
Also unlike Audio-Technicas with tin can level bass K701/702 has good bass if you lsiten for it and it actually reaches pretty low:
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCo...[]=703&graphID[]=2621&graphID[]=2661&scale=30
It just always takes back seat to details keeping foot steps and such very pronounced.

For balanced sound between competitiveness and good "fun factor" around £200 K712 adds above neutral bass: Soundstage and positioning is pretty equal, but when there's any lower frequency sounds foot steps and such simply aren't so pronounced.
Beyerdynamic DT990 whose Pro version with coiled cable is ~£100 is another well balanced headphone for gaming. Its bass has little more immersion than in K712, but with notch smaller soundstage than AKGs it's little behind K712 in competitiveness.

In November bought second hand K702 for neutral bass reference and K712 to go with five years old DT990 and have done direct comparisons of these.
As for comfort Beyerdynamic has lots of adjustment in headband and if you have wider top-narrower down head shape it would behave better.
AKG has "automatic" adjusment in headband partially relying on clamping force to keep cups positioned over ears, so with such head shape those might try to creep down.

But instead of paying extra in headphones sound card with binaural sound is needed for proper "aural wall hacking".
The sad truth is that while marketing keeps hyping graphics (even at expense of gameplay/story quality like usual) game sounds haven't advanced in 15 years.
Most games don't even have own sound settings where you could select headphones, and in most of those exceptions headphone mode is likely just crossfeed...
To eliminate artificial in one ear sound of stereo/2.0 speaker mix listened with headphones:
With speakers sound of one channel reaches also opposite ear, but with headphones that doesn't happen.
Windows 10 has its Windows Sonic for Headphones and while better than stereo compared to Creative's algorithms it's average.

Sound BlasterX AE-5 has one of the best headphone outputs of any sound cards and is capable to driving any headphone.
For external USB card Sound BlasterX G5 is pretty similar though using little less capable parts.
Sound Blaster Z again has very good features for its price, but headphone output isn't that capable.

Listen for it? You can feel it.

Permabanned
The Sennheiser 595/598 is a class gaming headphone too boys it has wide angled soundstage that is cheat like games like l4d2 i used to get called out for wallbanging lol but the 595 plus the xonar st is like 330 quid on sound alone. Some people just want to spend less but the folks are right stereo poops all over 7.1. The 7.1 you get are cheap 7.1 headphones and they sound rubbish even the fidelio X1 were rubbish compared to the 595. Not to mention they personally make my dpc latency soar also anything sound related and usb for me performs so bad my overall system latency doubles.

So if you can afford a good non usb mic and soundcard your going to have best in slot for a long time. They do say it moves so slowly.

Back
Top Bottom