£500 for a new bike.. is the GT the winner?

Associate
Hello there..

Decided a new bike is defo needed now so have come up with the dollars and can get my hands on £500. Not a massive amount in the world of bikes.. but dont really wanna spend any more.

Full suspension is out the window at that price so a hardtail it is. I'll be coming from a GT Agressor 2.0, so is the obvious choice the GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc 2008. Can be had from evans and other places for £500.

Or is there something else out there i'm over looking?

I suppose I could stretch to an absolute max of £600 if it was really worth it. What d'ya reckon?

Cheers folks

Permabanned
Riding on road or off road? Yes I have to ask the question as people buy MTB even though always riding on the road.

Associate
OP
Its a commuting to work bike in the week, a 4 mile round trip.. then it has a bit of abuse at the weekends. No downhill death trails though at the moment, just the occasional jump from a bump here and there

Associate
OP
I've gotten way to used to the front suspension now, think i'd probably snap something without it. Possibly my neck.

There is a expert edition of the avalanche for £200 more (2008 model) but cant tell if its worth the extra.. any thoughts?

Cheers mate

Associate
OP
Cheers Chong..

Bit the bullet and ordered the 2008 model yesterday. £499 with free assembly and a free 'check up' what ever that means?

Should be with me on Thursday all being well.

Is the review you mentioned the one that gave it 4.5 out of 5 and said it tops its class quite easily in the £500 catergory?

Thats the one I read that sold it for me...

Thanks

Soldato
Damn this thread!!

I keep looking at that bike for £430 now and I really can't afford to go and blow money on selfish presents with christmas coming up!!

I've had a GT before ages ago, the Tequesta and loved it! Currently have a Claud Butler but it's best days are gone and needs money spending on it... hmmm...

Soldato
I got my Specialized Hardrock Pro for just under £500. Can't fault it really. Use it for exactly what your going to as well as going up and down the Malvern hills every weekend.

Only thing that needs doing to it after 12 months is some new brake pads. It even survived not really getting washed/oiled for 12 months due to my awesome laziness.

Back
Top Bottom