500 Greatest Albums of All Time

Soldato
Anyone familiar with the Swedish rock band Ghost?

I know they been around a few years now but only got into them about a year ago completely addicted.

Next time they are touring UK I'm there.

Soldato

I know they been around a few years now but only got into them about a year ago completely addicted.

Yeah, I saw them in Dublin about 3-4 years back and while I'm not really into metal, I enjoyed the performance.

jXw7RU6.jpeg

Soldato
OP
How is OP getting on? Gone crazy listening to music you don't like yet @Vandle ?
Going well sir. Ahead of schedule, pretty easy at the moment as I’m off work until 15th and it’s turned into a nice summer so lounging outside with my Sonos move. I’m trying not to waste time as such listening to them so just putting one on when I’d be listening to music anyway like drinking in the sun, driving, walking or at the gym. If that makes sense. I want to actually listen to them though so not having them on as generic background music while mooching about the house either. My Spotify daily mixes are for that. Had a two hour return drive to my fave scuba spot yesterday so listened to a couple then.

From what I’ve heard so far I’ll not be revisiting any of them other than arcade fire but Ive always liked them. I thought that Phil Spector anthology would be a slog but was pleasantly surprised, all 60s stuff, reminded me of being a kid and my parents listening to it on Saviles Sunday radio show while my mother cooked a roast and my dad drank bottles of brown ale. Happy memories. The songs are very short and sharp. Was no girl power back then so they are all about getting married (or being too young too) and finding a man. Suppose that was life goals for most women in those days and quite rightly wouldn’t wash today.

I’ve set up a sort of best of Spotify playlist and only put 4 songs in it so far. My daily / suggested playlists in there are starting to morph slightly which is quite interesting. I read a book called spotify takedown last year while on holiday, recommended if you are interested in how they and their software works. Digressing a bit…

Got Lady Gaga next at 484. Im not a fan but never really heard much from her but expect it will be tolerable. I know they have a big following and still touring, my next door neighbour actually went to see them week before Christmas but Damaged by Black Flag was the worst for me, very difficult to get through. I’ve got a great sound system in my car and my head was hurting. Only 36 minutes long though.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Broke through the first 50 earlier this week. Mixed bag. A couple of good ones, some surprising ones that I didn't think I like. Most of them tolerable some of them absolute rubbish in particular the Spanish language pop stuff. There are no Tool albums but that dafty that sang Gasoleeena gets in. Lady Gaga Born this way gets special mention given how relatively new it is and how popular she is. Its crap. Utter crap. Its not trying to be different, new or fresh. I bet it was written in an afternoon, arranged and produced in a day just waiting for her to come and do the very average vocals over the top of it.
Loved some of the classic soul, Motown and the old blues stuff like Muddy Waters and Howlin Wolf. I listen to a lot of 90's hip hop and you can hear it in that. Other than the few albums I own on the list so far the standouts that I haven't heard before were Jefferson Airplane, Roberta Flack, Sparks and Isely Brothers. Biggest surprise so far was Harry Styles. Never heard anything from him other than that Watermelon song but actually thought his album was ok. Wouldn't listen to it again though.
Its only getting better from here :). I had aimed for two per day but ahead of that. At two per day now I'll be done by end of August.

I finished number 446 today, so 55 down. My 'Best of the 500" playlist only has 19 songs in it. My Spotify suggested playlists are going a bit mental though. The daily mixes are all over the place. Discover weekly hasn't yet changed but that's super weird anyway due to what I normally listen to.

I still don't think they should have best ofs or compilations on the list. Really enjoyed the greatest hits of Al Green at 456. Yet there is another album of his at 427. Doesn't really make sense. I read that they have redone this list several times. Too many white men near the top didn't go down well. It's been revisited and a bit more diversity sprinkled in over the years.

Soldato
OP
As Whitney Houston belts out How Will I Know, which has been listened to on Spotify an incredible 310 million times (and is to be fair, a great pop song), her 1985 album Whitney Houston (not to be confused with her 1987 album Whitney :rolleyes:) is heading towards its highly anticipated (by me) close and thus marks the official half way point. Whitney is actually number 249 but I have missed two. One Nation Under a Groove by Funkadellic, which I think I will actually like but can't find on Spotify and Down Every Road by tedious American Country singer Merle Haggard at 284 which is his anthology covering 1962 to 1994, containing 100 songs clocking in at 4 and a quarter hours. Really? Is that necessary? (would make the Best of the Beatles / Alan Partridge joke here but already cracked that on page one)

Had to go back and do some Neil Young (who isn't a doctor) as missed due to him removing his material from Spotify after that naughty Joe Rogan (who also isn't a doctor) said young people probably don't need a covid vaccine some years ago. Anyway, glad they have kissed and made up although the passing of time and drama queen like behaviour hasn't made his music any good but I do like My My, Hey Hey.

Other than some of the real old stuff I mention in posts above there hasn't been any great discoveries. I am pretty musically eclectic anyway. I did stumble across the Jackass theme tune (wite the feem toon sing the feem toon) which was a pleasant surprise (Corona by Minutemen FYI) and I am firmly onto the much more popular stuff now than some of the obscure stuff in the first 100. Mention to Dr John who I had never heard of, some early Tina Turner stuff, forgetting how good ABBA actually were (Waterloo no 1 the day I was born) and CCR's take on Heard it on the Grapevine has shot straight to number one in my favourite cover versions of all time list. The amount of soul music on there has helped curate some awesome Spotify daily mixes and suggested playlists for me too. My Chemical Romance was a band that I never gave much thought to (or any of that style American style rock), but Black Parade is brilliant though. Truly brilliant and probably one of my faves from the list as a complete package which is probably my biggest surprise so far.

My "Best Of" playlist continues to grow and now has 109 songs in it, although not put one in there for 6 days (Fast Car, Tracy Chapman) and is almost 8 hours long with a strict limit of 2 songs per album max. Except The Stone Roses get a pass. They have three in there just because.

Current listening rate is 12.3 per week, leaves me needing to listen to 7.9 per week to finish by NYE. At current rate I'll be done on 25th September. :)

Soldato
Has it made you have more appreciation for genres you otherwise had no interest in?

I couldn't do it, personally. I like a wide range of music and can get down with most things but if I came across something I didn't like I know I'd just skip it :D

Man of Honour

Got into them in 2014, I've been to see them twice and they are the best gigs I have ever been to and Led Zep were my first in 1971.
On June 20th me and my wife are going to see the film Rite Here Rite Now which is based on two concerts in USA and obviously a lot of comedy in between live concert footage.

Soldato
Im just way too fussy to listen to them, I like specific songs by many of the artists.

For example No 7 Fleetwood Mac, I really like the song dreams very much but thats it.

Associate

Yeah, my nephew dragged me to see them at Download Festival and despite the look of them, I really enjoyed the show.

Back
Top Bottom