500 Greatest Albums of All Time

Associate
Anyone done this before? Did you make it all the way?

I post on the Hoffman music forums and we went through the Rolling Stone 500 a couple of years ago, one album per day. Then did the then-current RYM 500 as a comparison.

Although it has plenty of excellent material, the Rolling Stone list is very heavily biased towards certain 'vogue' artists. The RYM list, based on user ratings rather than a select group of people, is much more varied and has some real hidden gems - particularly from Japanese artists.

One Nation Under a Groove by Funkadellic, which I think I will actually like but can't find on Spotify

YouTube it!

Funkadelic (and Parliament) have so much great material. The title song on Maggot Brain is one of my favourite tracks, phenomenal playing by Eddie Hazel.

Mention to Dr John who I had never heard of

Was that Gris-Gris? That was new to me at the time too, and I enjoyed it.

Along a similar vein, try Exuma's 1970 debut album (this was on the RYM list). You may enjoy it.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Has it made you have more appreciation for genres you otherwise had no interest in?

I couldn't do it, personally. I like a wide range of music and can get down with most things but if I came across something I didn't like I know I'd just skip it :D
Soul for sure. Plus the way Spotify's algorithm works its filling my suggested mixes with all kinds of interesting stuff. Then you hear the odd snippet you've heard RZA sample at some point over the 1,000 records he produced. Black Parade as I've mentioned I thought was great, perfectly crafted start to finish and one of the best albums I think I have heard as a total package start to finish with no sort of disjoints. In a similar way to 10,000 days if you get what I mean.

Soldato
OP
I post on the Hoffman music forums and we went through the Rolling Stone 500 a couple of years ago, one album per day. Then did the then-current RYM 500 as a comparison.

Although it has plenty of excellent material, the Rolling Stone list is very heavily biased towards certain 'vogue' artists. The RYM list, based on user ratings rather than a select group of people, is much more varied and has some real hidden gems - particularly from Japanese artists.

YouTube it!

Funkadelic (and Parliament) have so much great material. The title song on Maggot Brain is one of my favourite tracks, phenomenal playing by Eddie Hazel.

Was that Gris-Gris? That was new to me at the time too, and I enjoyed it.

Along a similar vein, try Exuma's 1970 debut album (this was on the RYM list). You may enjoy it.
Indeed it was Gris-Gris. Enjoyed it.

The RS list has been re-written many times so it's not as white male biased as it used to be. Little bit of forced diversity.

Last edited:
Associate
@Vandle, I've just had a look at the top 50, (couldn't be bothered going further down the list) and my tastes definitely do not align. There were some artists I've never even heard of!

Maybe it's compiled by people with more expertise and discernment than me, but I won't be joining your journey, although I do admire your efforts.

Soldato
OP
The top 100 has a bunch of rap albums but no Eminem? Bit silly to be honest
I think most would class Eminem as a pop star rather than a serious Hip Hop artist. I certainly would.

Thanks for all the encouraging comments. Nobody is ever going to produce a list of the 5 best albums ever that most people agree with, let alone 500. I use Spotify for vast majority of my music these days and when at home (through my phone and sonos), gym or walking (phone) or driving (phone again through car play) I haven't spent much time on the Spotify PC app until now. I do most of my work from my home office so work my way through the albums mostly then. With the desktop app you can see the listening figures for the songs and artists and some of them are quite staggering. I have Tori Amos on now, never been a fan. Its quite good actually but I will never listen to it again. I think I could only name one song shes done, and its not even on this album. She has over a billion monthly listeners and three of the songs on this album have almost 20 million individual plays each. The least most listened to has 1.8m!
What you or I think is rubbish, some people clearly love.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom