531 frame rust touch-up tools (without sandblaster)

Soldato
I have a faithful 531(Eagle) frame .. needing touching up of surface rust spots mostly near BB & lug-work.

bike_bb_rust1_zpsxqrv5hm0.jpg~original

Does anyone have advice on tools to cleanup the rust ?

I had previously used emery paper then hammerite, but alternatively wondering about a Dremmel type tool to help, but I am not sure which of grinding wheel/ brass/stainless brush/other attachment might be the most useful/easiest/accurate

I did not want to completely tear down the bike to bare frame again since now using as regular town bike.
Nonetheless how much is a professional sand-blast/re-paint/cure likely to cost (plain gunmetal grey) - my local bike shop had zero advice on this.

Last edited:
Soldato
Soak it in vinegar (damp kitchen roll can help if you don't want to take it all apart) for a few minutes then just rub it off with some steel wool. Could be worth looking into some kind of automotive wax if you want to prevent against further rust in future.

Caporegime
Nonetheless how much is a professional sand-blast/re-paint/cure likely to cost (plain gunmetal grey) - my local bike shop had zero advice on this.

I paid about £100 plus shipping last year to have an aluminium frame powder coated. You can pay half that or double that, depending on how good a job you want doing of it.

Soldato
OP
Thanks,
I subsequently found another thread on this topic.
My plan is to get some small brass wire brushes like this or this to put in a full size drill and try that initially to remove old paint, even with a dremmel I do not think this would get into the corners of the lug work so it will be emery paper (maybe a fine diamond tip would work) - indeed does not need a great finish just rust suppression for 10 years .
I have some curerust equivalent I will deploy

Soldato
Soak it in vinegar (damp kitchen roll can help if you don't want to take it all apart) for a few minutes then just rub it off with some steel wool

Vinegar? on rust? . . . I didn't hear that before? . . . I just used vinegar yesterday to clean all that limescale from inside the kettle, took about 6 hours but there was a fair amount.

What does Vinegar do to rust?

Soldato
OP
... he might like a job at nude coffee roasters Brick Lane London, I saw a job add for them this week .. unusual name ?

yes the vinegar technique may be useful when I have exposed the rust,
I saw it in action on utube

Soldato
OP
made the repair using some proxxon brass brushes in a full size power drill ( ~£1.50 a brush,these mount on a mandrel, so reversible very robust not even used one beware apparently some ebay brushes eject filaments at speed ) subsequently touched up with hammerite.
brass was sufficiently abrasive .. scared steel may have scarred frame

all_zpsbiir9evl.jpg~original

...do not know how I survived before the park repair stand either only a 9 from A.marketplace but fine

Back
Top Bottom