55"+ Screen Advice

Associate
Just moved house and need to chose a TV for the lounge...which is turning out waaaay harder than i first thought.

We have a recess in the wall which the previous owners had a sony bravia with side speakers in. Result is an odd shape and the misses is getting OCD about the fact a 42 would not have an even space around it.

She therefore wants a screen big enough to cover the whole thing.
Not going to find me arguing...so to do this we need a minimum of 55".

SPEC
Budget= £1200-£1500.
3D = Most TVs have it now and I like it. Passive over active. But not a deal breaker.
Main use = TV and movies.
I'll use it for a bit of console gaming when the misses isnt about and until the TV in the mancave gets an upgrade by the end of the year...but thats a separate topic for later.

Issue im having is deciding on which way to go...LCD?Plasma? new range? old range? etc etc

RS have last years Panasonic WT50s in budget, as would this years ET60.
But after reading reviews im not convinced they are the best I could get for the money with many noting not great black levels...although itwill be in a lounge and not a pitch black room.

Theres always the Samsung range, which a friend really rates or alternatively I was wondering about the availability of some of the Panny plasmas, which get raved about.

Ive decided and then changed my mined sooo many times.
Help!!!

Caporegime
i would look at the ST60 (panny plasma) and see what sizes that is available in before looking at the GT60 (panny plasma) before looking at samsung models.

this is the worst time of year to be buying a tv though, which i have stated in another thread in this part of the forum which has more info on why.

panasonic is better than samsung in the plasma department for PQ, but Samsung's dont have 50hz flicker issue and much better smart tv and cheaper 3d glasses.

so there is pro's and con's of both.

so long as lighting is not an issue within the room i would avoid an overpriced LCD.

if lighting is an issue then you must go for an LCD as plasma's reflect a lot with light in front of the screen.

Soldato
Costco are doing the 55" TX 3D Plasma at the moment for £1100 (I Think) Inc VAT that's with 5 Year Warranty. If you know anyone who has a card then look at that. I WANT ONE..

Associate
OP
Thanks for the input.
window is to the side and I dont think light will be too much of an issue, hence i have actually been looking into Plasma, which from reading, appear to be better for picture quality and a bit kinder on the wallet.

Having issues finding anything in a decent size and from a retailer I know/trust, though.
John Lewis have the older GT50s for a decent price, but not at 55" and agree its not the greatest time to be looking.

Be interesting to see what happens when 4k TVs start hitting the market in a meaningful way.

Dont mind waiting to see with regards to my "man cave" tv, but the misses is getting miffed with having to watch tv on the ipad :)

Soldato
I'm looking at 60s right now with a budget of a grand. The LG looks great value but I think I'll be going with a Samsung 60F5500. I'll probably leave it till early next year to purchase.

Back
Top Bottom