55" TV for Gaming

Soldato
So I've just created a thread in the Home Cinema forum but this one seems a lot more active and I was hoping from input on this from a gaming perspective.

So i'm in the market for a new TV and am looking at a 55" model.

I know the top dog here is the LG C9 and in all honesty I would absolutely love the TV but with having two kids there is constant static images on the TV, whether it be "Are you still watching Netflix" or the HUD from something like Minecraft. Due to this my fear of running into screen burn is really putting me off going OLED.

I'm currently considering the follow:
  • Samsung Q80R
  • Sony Bravia KD55XG9505
  • LG 55SM9800PLA NanoCell
Does anyone have any opinions on the above TV's, or can you suggest any others that might be better?
Alternatively, are there any retailers who would cover burn in that would put my mind at ease over getting the LG C9?

My budget is somewhere around £1,800.

Thanks for any help!

Soldato
For that budget I'd be looking at the C9.

I have the 65" C8 and everything looks amazing - burn in is a risk with OLED of course, but you're sacrificing probably the best TV for the money when there is no garauntee you'll experience significant burn in - and even if you do it'll be at least 3 or 4 years before it becomes an issue.

Associate
Had my 55" c7 (2017 model) for 2 years now and hasn't skipped a beat. Bought it especially for the One X release and has not had 1 sign of any burn in - games look great. Visually I've been extremely impressed with AC: Odyssey

The general consensus is if you dont leave anything on it like Sky News / CNN (similar) running you'll be fine.

Shawrey

Soldato
When is the best time of year to buy one? I would love a c9 (to be ready for ps5). I am expecting it will drop in price when the c10 is released, as that appears to have happened with the c8. So approximately april/may next year would be a good time to buy?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Think I'd stick to LCD for gaming. As great as oled is, I'd be worried about burn in.

Oled for movies, LCD for gaming.
Unless you are the type that plays all day long for days on end the same game without watching any other content it will not be an issue. If it has not been an issue for me on my Plasma then cannot imagine it being an issue on OLED which is a lot less susceptible to burn in than plasma.

My mate plays his PS4 on his OLED with no issues, though to be fair he does not game much relative to some people.

Associate
When is the best time of year to buy one? I would love a c9 (to be ready for ps5). I am expecting it will drop in price when the c10 is released, as that appears to have happened with the c8. So approximately april/may next year would be a good time to buy?
Yeah around April or May next year should be perfect. You could have picked up an LG C8 55 inch this year for 1199 brand new from Compton & Moore via Ebay and with their 10 percent off deal with a max of 100 pound it was 1099 with 5 year warranty.

Nearly got one myself but the C9 was better for gaming so decided to wait but have ended up getting a Q70 instead as it's just for gaming, rarely anything else.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got a 65 c7 and a 55 c8. The 65 is my main game screen, so it's a couple odd years old now and I've no worries with screen burn. No problems at all, and I often even leave it on the xbox dashboard unattended. Awesome screen and TV. Don't let the worries put you off the best TV.

Caporegime
Unless you are the type that plays all day long for days on end the same game without watching any other content it will not be an issue. If it has not been an issue for me on my Plasma then cannot imagine it being an issue on OLED which is a lot less susceptible to burn in than plasma.

My mate plays his PS4 on his OLED with no issues, though to be fair he does not game much relative to some people.

Plasma is terrible for retention and burn. I never experienced a plasma without it and I owned 3 of them all of them high end by Panasonic and Samsung.

OLED is now much better than plasma however it is still an issue and if you get a dodgy panel you will be screwed.

if you plan on varied contant then get an OLED. if using for gaming 40% or more in terms of usage i'd say go LCD. so if only 35% of the total time you should be fine with OLED.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Plasma is terrible for retention and burn. I never experienced a plasma without it and I owned 3 of them all of them high end by Panasonic and Samsung.

OLED is now much better than plasma however it is still an issue and if you get a dodgy panel you will be screwed.

if you plan on varied contant then get an OLED. if using for gaming 40% or more in terms of usage i'd say go LCD. so if only 35% of the total time you should be fine with OLED.
I have had plenty image retention over the years, but it never lasts and goes away quickly. Never had burn in and I have done plenty gaming on it. Had it for 5+ years and nearly all of that time until recently it was used connected to my PC. Even browsed on it for hours. All you get is image retention which is no big deal if it goes away super quick when watching a video. Bare in mind my LG Plasma was one of the last plasma's ever produced so it was the most matured version of the tech perhaps?

I would not even mind if I used a OLED for 60% gaming as long as it was used for video in-between. Each to their own though. I will be buying an OLED soon and have no worries about burn in when my Plasma did not get it.

Back
Top Bottom