£550 for a monitor

Associate
How long have these been around? I was really happy with my Hazro until it crapped out so if no ones really had there's that long I don't think I'll take the risk

There are various models of these cheap Korean IPS monitors. Be warned that the Achieva ShiMian QH270 is essentially a Hazro HZ27WC with a different badge. What I mean is, it is identical in every way: The buttons on the back of the monitor, the rear back panel design, the speakers, the stand, the bezel, even the polystyrene packing in the box!

I've been keeping an eye on the Catleap thread. The prices are very good but I would really like to see how these monitors fair over a 6 month period. I have noticed a few people commenting that their monitors had a few dead pixels but they are still quite happy because they've only paid £250 - £300. Personally I would rather pay (a lot) more to get a pixel perfect panel and a decent warranty.

I'm waiting for a refund (from OcUK) on my Hazro HZ27WC which lasted 3 weeks, but that IPS screen looked soooo good..... while it was working :) The buzzing on some web pages was quite irritating though.
Since returning my Hazro I'm having to use my old Hanns G 27" which is good for a TN but no where near the picture quality of the Hazro.

I'm going to wait for 2-3 months to see whether:

a) Dell announce a new model to replace the ageing U2711

or

b) LG release their new IPS monitors which they showed off at CES 2012 and claimed were going into production in Q2 of this year.

Last edited:
Associate
theres a very large search engine "dell u2711 rev a12" price is dropping each week atm

it maybe to make way for a new monitor soon from dell, but hell a u27 for 500 is cheap,

at that price there is no argument not to buy tbh

Associate
My first jump would be 2xU2412M's and have the three, depends what your use case is though - mine is almost exclusively programming now so I tend to game on one screen rather if I do it rather than anything else.

Having a GTX480 with 2 slots is a minor problem, you could add a second cheap graphics card a la this to drive your third monitor, but of course only if you're not gaming. In fact, I used to have an nVidia 8500GT running in tandem with my HD5850 with the AMD card driving the desktop monitors and the 8500GT driving my TV when I needed it - Windows 7 didn't have any issues with the two different drivers or anything!

Soldato
I'd recommend the U2410 if you don't mind a slightly smaller screen. You can pick one up for about £300 which would leave you with a bit to spend elsewhere. I just got one the other week and it's great (December A10 rev) cost me just over £330 and that's with the Dell Business next day 3 year warranty :)

Associate
i gues what he said if you are looking for multiple monitors quality x2 or x 3 at a nice price

if i had the space i woyuld look at that but i dont atm so its 1 screen for me

dont think i could justtify 3x 27 just yet

Soldato
Feedback on Yamakasi Catleap: AWESOME ;)
I paid the little extra for a pixel perfect one, and it's exactly that. Doing its job superbly.

Depends on if your willing to take the risk with them being shipped from so far, but at the asking price you'd save yourself more than £50 ;)

I personally dislike the Dells for three reasons:
a)- Reminds me of being sat at work!
b)- Laggy
c)- Don't like the styling - seems Dell refuse to move out of the 1990's lol

Personal opinions of course but price was the main motivator for the Yamakasi over the Hazros (same sort of lottery!) and Dell pricing is just out of the equation altogether.

The styling on the Dell monitor is worth spending the extra cash on! As someone said in another thread it's a shame to take a good quality panel and put a cheap high gloss piano black bezel around it. The Dell has a matte finish which looks the part, has touch sensitive buttons + it has a card reader built into the side :D oh and it has a anti reflective screen so you don't need to look through your own reflection all the time! These features make it worth the extra money (for me anyway) even if it is 3" smaller. I've played some BF3 with the gaming mode enabled and haven't experienced any lag.

Some personal opinion again :) But he did ask.. lol

Last edited:
Associate
The Dell has a matte finish which looks the part, has touch sensitive buttons
Funny how two of your pro's would be cons to me. A heavy matte finish which covers the oh so beautiful panel in a layer of light diffusing nastiness.
Touch sensitive buttons on monitors are a good example of design over functionality imo. Needing to look what you're pushing rather counting how many buttons your finger has passed already. I much prefer physical buttons, both on my phone and my monitor.

The warranty with the Dell is excellent which is worth a premium price, still went for a Hazro myself because of the AG-coating on the Dell but different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:
Associate
try a dell ........ soz thats all i can say..

i have had saome damnd good screeens over the years mitsubushi 22 crt was amazing in its time etc ....

but for 27 dell u2711 is awesome ..

Associate
damn as i was typing i just found a del u2711 rev 10 for under 490 quid all in

latest are a11

or a 12 for 500.............. its a cheap screan ffs loo
lkin at all the options

Caporegime
I have a u24 and u27 and tbh I don't know what I'd do in your situation.

I would be tempted by 2 u24s or 1 u27

For me using one screen would be odd, but not so much since I have had the u27
Because the resolution of the 27 is so high the main thing I use the 24 for is tv on media centre.
When I had 2 x 24s I used to often find what I did would fill the 1920 x1200 and I'd use the other one as overflow and it was very useful, like doing a job app with covering letter one one screen and job description on other with web and tv etc.

Now the u27 can easily cope with 2 documents and still has room to spare.

U27 also has advantage of being a usable tv and it's physical size means normal desk distance to eye while playing game fills your whole vision, without being too big

To sum up
U27
Better for gaming
Better for films
Fantastic ppi

2xu24
More screen space
Better for multitasking

You can't really game on 2 monitors, 3 yes, two not really.

If you multi task a lot go for 2 u24
If you game / movie watch.. U27

Edt
Having said that my u27 was supposed to take me down to one monitor, but I couldn't bring myself to sell the other!
I'm glad I didn't go hazro, i nearly did

Last edited:
Associate
ah easy 2x u2711 ah im a delaphope now after u2711

would i ever go to another screen .............. nooooooooo way

2 x by u2711 for me untill i can get 27 120hz at 1440 res

would i go back to 1200p no way

and all these people that play at 1080p get out of the ice age ...

i do it when at work so i compare

also many other resolutions.

noooooooooooo 1080p is soo bad

try it an see

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Just to clarify I have a 24" TN panel that I'm using now, so I would still have 2 monitors if I got the 27". If I got 2x24" I would just be replacing the TN with an IPS as I can't use 3 with my current setup.

I think if I could run all 3 screens I would go with the x2 24" but as doing so would require me upgrading half my rig I'm gonna go for the 27". I do a lot of graphical work using 3DS Max, Zbrush, Photoshop etc and all that screen space was really nice when I had the Hazro.

On the subject of anti-glare v gloss I must admit I did really like the gloss finish on the Hazro, was worth the odd reflection in my opinion. So hope the anti-glare on the dell doesn't ruin it for me.

Can you message me in trust with where you are finding them so cheap? Google shopping isn't turning up much.

Last edited:
Soldato
The U2711 was a big investment for me, and I'm hoping it will last me for years. The resolution is awesome, I wouldn't feel happy using a 1080p screen any more it's way to restrictive and much less productive. No lag with gaming and I game a lot.

Quality is epic and the huge range of inputs is massively useful.

Associate
The U2711 was a big investment for me, and I'm hoping it will last me for years. The resolution is awesome, I wouldn't feel happy using a 1080p screen any more it's way to restrictive and much less productive. No lag with gaming and I game a lot.

Quality is epic and the huge range of inputs is massively useful.

again what he said

a massive big me up for dell first one ive had not the last i will stick with them from now on tbh

Associate
Just to clarify I have a 24" TN panel that I'm using now, so I would still have 2 monitors if I got the 27". If I got 2x24" I would just be replacing the TN with an IPS as I can't use 3 with my current setup.

I think if I could run all 3 screens I would go with the x2 24" but as doing so would require me upgrading half my rig I'm gonna go for the 27". I do a lot of graphical work using 3DS Max, Zbrush, Photoshop etc and all that screen space was really nice when I had the Hazro.

On the subject of anti-glare v gloss I must admit I did really like the gloss finish on the Hazro, was worth the odd reflection in my opinion. So hope the anti-glare on the dell doesn't ruin it for me.

Can you message me in trust with where you are finding them so cheap? Google shopping isn't turning up much.

heh bud think i just did ?? dont get this trust stuff tbh let me know if it didnt work....

Associate
OP
Just ordered the U2711 for £505.

Might have gone 2 months with out a second monitor but I've ended up with a better one and £45 back in my pocket so not too bad :D

Back
Top Bottom