5700X 3200mhz or 3600mhz?

Permabanned
So I was about to pull the trigger on a 2x16gb cas CAS 16-19-19-36 3600mhz Corsair Vengeance kit for £88 delivered... I know I simply enable xmp on my b550m msi mortar max wifi board and it 'should work'...
But I'd forgotten AMD states 3200mhz for compatibility?

Is there any gain when I'm not going to be overclocking the pc and infact undervolting it.

Should I just get the same kit but in 3200mhz cas 16-20-20-38 form for £64 delivered?

Will I have any issues using the 3600mhz?

This is the first rig I'll have built in like 15 years so all I've got to go on is what I've seen mixed opinions of online...

The price difference doesn't bother me, but I want this machine to be rock solid and not end up with a nasty surprise and find out it's the ram at fault!

Open to your experiences!

Man of Honour
So there wouldn't br any risk of instability then?
3600mhz is fine on a b550 but memory can be finicky with tighter timings, there's always that chance of instability but that can be more than just the memory itself.

If you think it's worth then buy it.

The days of overclocking and tinkering won't give you the gains of years past.

Permabanned
OP
3600mhz is fine on a b550 but memory can be finicky with tighter timings, there's always that chance of instability but that can be more than just the memory itself.

If you think it's worth then buy it.

The days of overclocking and tinkering won't give you the gains of years past.
I'm literally doing zero overclocking, just undervolting and only using it for gaming...

Someone elsewhere said the following "3600 RAM is supposed to offer close to optimal price to performance on Ryzen 3 since it's close to the infinity fabric clock speed. That said, I doubt very much you'd notice a difference in performance were you to run 3200 RAM, but that might depend on the workloads you're running on your system." Opinions?

Man of Honour
I'm literally doing zero overclocking, just undervolting and only using it for gaming...

Someone elsewhere said the following "3600 RAM is supposed to offer close to optimal price to performance on Ryzen 3 since it's close to the infinity fabric clock speed. That said, I doubt very much you'd notice a difference in performance were you to run 3200 RAM, but that might depend on the workloads you're running on your system." Opinions?
This maybe true but equates to a few FPS , if you don't mind spending then go for it nothing wrong it getting the best .

I look at it slightly different 35% extra in cost resulting in let's be generous 10% more fps .

Permabanned
OP
This maybe true but equates to a few FPS , if you don't mind spending then go for it nothing wrong it getting the best .

I look at it slightly different 35% extra in cost resulting in let's be generous 10% more fps .
Yeah I mean I'm already going for a 7900XT and after as much futureproofing bonuses as possible so yeah may as well I guess now haha, for the sake of £24, that's a bottle of whisky at best or some fuel.
As long as I'm not going to get an instability then screw it!

Permabanned
OP
Someone else just told me "3600 is indeed optimum because it's essentially zero effort infinity "tune up" to increase it from 1600 up to 1800 MHz." so again seems like a no brainer for the cost of a bottle of booze difference considering how mad cheap it is for c16 vs c18 and it being 32gb :)

Cheers for your help yet again mate!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'm literally doing zero overclocking, just undervolting and only using it for gaming

Someone else just told me "3600 is indeed optimum because it's essentially zero effort infinity "tune up" to increase it from 1600 up to 1800 MHz."

:D Um, yeah you are.

The price difference doesn't bother me, but I want this machine to be rock solid and not end up with a nasty surprise and find out it's the ram at fault!

Not overclocking would be leaving everything at stock and using 1.2v 3200 non-gaming memory, which is usually CL22. If you're undervolting and using XMP/DCOP then you're 'overclocking' and adding variables that can contribute to instability.

Last edited:
Associate
3600/1800 is not guarantied to work, depends on chip and board lottery.

I've seen plenty of 3600 kits that fail to work in sync with the infinity cache, more common with 32GB kits as well.

Might work, might not, AMD in a nutshell tbh.. :D

Soldato
I've got 4 sticks of CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX (4 x 32 GB) cas 18 which are happily running at 3600mhz (matched to 1800 infinity fabric) on a MSI mag b550m wifi board along with a 5950x which has stock voltage, PBO enabled and a curve optimiser set at -25 on all but 2 cores. The ram runs fine, it was fine with 2 sticks, it was fine with 4 sticks and this was before I played with pbo (just infinity fabric)... and now it's fine after pbo... it's dealt with my rendering and encoding, stress testing, playing games etc so...

You should be fine with your 2 sticks at 3600mhz imo, worse case scenario you can just set it to 3200mhz anyway.

3600mhz is the 'easiest' way to get a nice match up with the infinity fabric and a little boost from it, iirc AMD have even said this is the sweet spot, anything higher is where it starts to get a little more hit and miss or 2t it which isn't worth it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I got 64gb (2x32) 3600mhz on a 5800x with an x570 board run PBO +200 and PC runs like a charm as has done for a couple of years.

I recently built an AMD 5600g system with b550 board 16gb (2x8) 3600hmz RAM again runs fine, on the latter the XMP profiles were already on and set to 3600mhz.

Both MSI boards, I don't use that ASUS junk, maybe that is where people are having issues.

The AMD 5xxx chips (Zen 3 is it?) have much better memory controllers than the previous two generations though.

Back
Top Bottom