• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

580 GTX

Associate
Bit of a dumb question here maybe, could someone please explain the difference with a reference cooler & one that doesn't have a reference cooler, i.e. which is best?

I'm RMAing one & have been advised to go for one with a reference cooler. :confused:

Associate
Generally the reference cooler will chuck the hot air out of the back of the case whereas a non reference cooler will chuck air into the case BUT if you have adequate internal airflow its not an issue. Generally a non stock GPU cooler will run cooler and quieter wheres as the reference cooler will be hotter and noiser.

What happened to your old card and who advised you to get the reference cooler GTX580 version?

Associate
OP
Ahhh, thanks ANN1H1LAT0R I certainly don't want loads of noise, the quieter & cooler the better for me, I don't know what the problem is with the card other than it seems to be blowing out work units in Folding @ Home with frequent I/O errors in the log file. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Associate
Well what's your budget for a start and what are your main uses for your computer and GPU?

Bare in mind that if you go none reference you need decent air flow and cooling for your case generally

Associate
OP
I don't think cost comes into it TBH but not sure, the current card is a Gigabyte 1536Gb Just a swap under RMA for either or, I think

Its this reference stuff that did for me. if that a non reference card what does reference card look like?

Thanks cheers hondo

Associate
OP
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-081-GI&groupid=701&catid=1914&subcat=1812 - Non reference

I prefer non reference as they normally perform better (cooler and quieter)

Hey thats great thanks se_vietboi thats the one I'm using now & thats Non reference right but a reference card will make more noise than what I have now, yes.

This one makes more noise than I like, @ 62C degrees so a reference card is or would be worse, am I right?

Thanks & cheers

hondo

Associate
OP
OK I think I've made my mind up now, it's either going to be another one of the same type or one of These I know not which yet.

Noise is foremost on my mind, the case ventilation is pretty good altho I have added push / pull fans

Thanks one & all, for allowing me to share in your knowledge

Cheers hondo. :)

Soldato
There is only one type of reference cooler. One that has been built and thorougly tested to work well with the card it was made for.

There are two types of non-reference coolers. One that is made to reduce costs, and which generally uses less copper but more fans to help keep things cool. The second type is actually built to imrpove upon the reference design and may even be more expensive to produce.

In my experience, reference coolers have always been solid, and the 580 reference cooler is a very good one. Non refererence are very hit and miss.

Associate
Usually I'd advise to at least look at non-reference coolers, but the 580 reference coolers are actually pretty good, and personally I prefer having the hot air expelled from the back of the case, rather than dumped inside.

Associate
OP
Well in the end I went for one of These and so far I'm very impressed @ 100% load it runs a couple of degrees hotter than did the Gigabyte 580, but amazingly its so much quieter. The non referencer HS is huge, fired up by 6 heat-pipes & 3 hidden fans on the underside. In many ways its just what I wanted having easy access to to 100% of the top side of the heat-sink will allow me to blow away any crud extremely easily. TBH this was a concern to me with reference cards.

100% from me to OCUK :)

Oops, quick edit: I forgot to say. The CPU is currently running @ 55C also running @ 100% load running the CPU version of Fold at Home

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom