5800x in a B450 gaming plus max, works if CPU ratio set, reboots if not

Associate
So have recently upgraded the CPU in my system from a 3600 to a 5800x.

Updated the Bios, Changed over the CPU from a 3600, all appeared well. then my eldest told me that the machines was restarting when playing Minecraft.

So did jumped in to test, and finding system is rebooting a minute or so into heavy processing games (dishonoured 2 would reboot as soon as you clicked continue from the menu, Horizon zero dawn would get to the game for a minute or so, then boot you out to the spalsh screen. Weirdly found that Ryzen Master would also reboot the machine if you asked it to stress test. All other stress tests I tried (Prime95, Furmark) did not cause any instability in the machine.

After trawling the internet, uncovering a massive rabbit hole to fall down and attempting multiple fixes, stumbled upon changing the CPU ratio, starting at 36, then moving up in increments to 46. which is will quite happily stay at without issue - Minecraft was on for 3 hours and no issue. Dishonored 2 ran perfectly without issue.

have tried the following:

re-pasted the CPU
tried multiple RAM configs (4x8gb, 2x8gb, 1x8gb)
turning off XMP, turning off PBO and turning off CPB
reset windows
set the PBO limits attempting multiple variants for PPT TDC and EDC (115, 90, 105 -and 125,75,110)
added a Curve to all cores -20 and -30
CPU core voltage set to AMD overclocking

Crazy thing is nothing stops it from rebooting under very certain circumstances, apart from setting the CPU ratio. Slightly concerned to have the CPU running at full chat 24/7.

GPU: Gigabyte GAMING OC GeForce RTX 3060 12GB
CPU: RYZEN 7 5800X 8 CORE 16 THREADS
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX
BIOS Version: H.K0 (latest bios)
RAM: 2x8GB Patriot DDR4-3200 CL18 and 2x8GB G SKill DDR4-3200 CL16
PSU: Corsair TX650M 650 W 80+ Gold semi modular
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A
Operating System & Version: WINDOWS 11 PRO 23H2
GPU Drivers: GEFORCE GAME READY DRIVER - WHQL Driver Version: 551.52
Chipset Drivers: AMD B550 CHIPSET DRIVERS VERSION 6.01.25.342
Background Applications: CHROME, GOG Galaxy

Anyone able to suggest anything else I can try? I am suspecting that i should upgrade the ram to 2x16 at 3600, but also thinking that the b450 motherboard might be the issue as well. Should i amend the voltage if i the CPU is running at 4.6ghz the whole time it is on?

Thanks in advance!

Man of Honour
Should i amend the voltage if i the CPU is running at 4.6ghz the whole time it is on?
If you disable some of the C-States in the BIOS and unstick the multiplier, it might help if the problem is instability from changing power states. From what I can recall, some B450 boards don't push enough voltage for lower power states with some Ryzen CPUs, though.. it is not uncommon to have a faulty CPU that just need replacing.

turning off XMP, turning off PBO and turning off CPB
When XMP is enabled, did you check the DRAM voltage was being set correctly?

RAM: 2x8GB Patriot DDR4-3200 CL18 and 2x8GB G SKill DDR4-3200 CL16
Are these running either/or, or both together? If they're running together, I'd increase the DRAM voltage a bit. The CPU's memory controller is only rated to 2933 with 4 single rank sticks (2667 with dual rank).

Associate
OP
If you disable some of the C-States in the BIOS and unstick the multiplier, it might help if the problem is instability from changing power states. From what I can recall, some B450 boards don't push enough voltage for lower power states with some Ryzen CPUs, though.. it is not uncommon to have a faulty CPU that just need replacing.
C-State has been disabled, and i turned off Eco as well
When XMP is enabled, did you check the DRAM voltage was being set correctly?
not sure, what that should be - another rabbit hole methinks....
Are these running either/or, or both together? If they're running together, I'd increase the DRAM voltage a bit. The CPU's memory controller is only rated to 2933 with 4 single rank sticks (2667 with dual rank).
tried in multiple configs, currently all running together. will up the dram voltage

Associate
OP
quick update on changes:

So have changed over to a B550 board (MSI B550-A pro), still got the same issue occurring, with the same workaround - setting the clock to a static number
completely re-installed Windows, Windows final staged did not want to finish up with the clocks on auto, only way i was able to get into windows was setting to 4200ghz

Associate
All signs point to bad CPU
As a last test, I would try positive +30 Curve Optimiser - to get more voltage at all dynamic clock points

Associate
You know, I don't want to jinx it, but I think that did it! Nothing crashed as of yet. Thank for your help all, I know have a stableish baseline
Well all it tells you is that other components should not be blamed
Normally a CPU should be stable at stock settings and not require additional voltage.

Back
Top Bottom