5800x Newbie Undervolt Help

Soldato
Hi all.

Wow its been many years since I last posted here, wonder if anyone remembers me! :)

I've recently made my way back to PC gaming, and love it.

So I've got a 5800x at stock using PBO it ran 4.7ghz 80c in game (max) and 90c Cinebench. I downloaded the Ryzen Master app and tested it out and undervolted got it to 1.27v @4600ghz. Cinebench runs solid at 80c and games at 60c (a drop of 20c).

So now I believe its best to translate this into overclocking in the bios? My question is what exactly do I have to do? I'm new to overclocking and there's too many options I don't understand to just try things out and see what works. The motherboard is a MSI B550 Tomahawk, with a Black Rock 4 Pro Cooler.

Would really appreciate is someone would tell me what options to change within the bios. It dosnt have to be exactly like for like as the Ryzen Master overclock, I believe an offset negative voltage is preferable?

Last edited:
Associate
Just did this myself, if you just want it to run cooler and at similar speeds to stock, the only thing you need to change are the PBO values. In the BIOS - enable AMD Overclocking, then go Settings\Advanced\AMD Overclocking:

PBO Limits - Manual
PPT Limit - 116
TDC Limit - 78
EDC Limit - 115

I slapped these values on and they work fine, dropped ~20c to 60-70c during load and 80c max in Prime95 instead of 90c. I'll tweak it more in the future when I have the patience and any need to. If you Google round there's plenty of threads with people sharing their values. Basically anything in the ballpark of above drastically lowers the voltage from the absurd overdrive AMD feeds the chip by default, resulting in much lower maximum temps.

Soldato
OP
Just did this myself, if you just want it to run cooler and at similar speeds to stock, the only thing you need to change are the PBO values. In the BIOS - enable AMD Overclocking, then go Settings\Advanced\AMD Overclocking:

PBO Limits - Manual
PPT Limit - 116
TDC Limit - 78
EDC Limit - 115

I slapped these values on and they work fine, dropped ~20c to 60-70c during load and 80c max in Prime95 instead of 90c. I'll tweak it more in the future when I have the patience and any need to. If you Google round there's plenty of threads with people sharing their values. Basically anything in the ballpark of above drastically lowers the voltage from the absurd overdrive AMD feeds the chip by default, resulting in much lower maximum temps.

Brilliant, thank you.

Update: In the end I went with Precision Boost Overdrive on, negative curve -30 all cores. PPT: 142, TDC 95a, EDC 90a.

I get 15083 Cinebench 23 @76c, in game 68-72c, 36c-39c Idle. Using a Black Rock Pro 4.

Pretty happy with that.

Last edited:
Associate
Update: In the end I went with Precision Boost Overdrive on, negative curve -30 all cores. PPT: 142, TDC 95a, EDC 90a.

I get 15083 Cinebench 23 @76c, in game 68-72c, 36c-39c Idle. Using a Black Rock Pro 4.
Pretty happy with that.

Not bad at all, glad you've got it working nicely. For reference I got 15023 in cinebench with my settings with maximum core temp 71c down from 90c guaranteed (with Noctua NH-D15).

Enjoy your stupidly fast (and now also cool) CPU!

Associate
Not bad at all, glad you've got it working nicely. For reference I got 15023 in cinebench with my settings with maximum core temp 71c down from 90c guaranteed (with Noctua NH-D15).

Enjoy your stupidly fast (and now also cool) CPU!
You hit 90c on a nh-d15??? Wow... Starting to think my new 5800x isn't defective after all.

It's weird though on mine whilst gaming can go up to 90c whilst doing hardly anything (at 4k) and only a bit less 86c on prime95.

Where do you guys get all those numbers from to put into bios? You just copy from online? Isn't every chip different? There isn't like an auto feature in ryzen master to figure out best underclock settings?

Can't believe I've got a new cpu and I'm thinking of under not over clocking

Associate
Brilliant, thank you.

Pretty happy with that.
How did you come up with those numbers bud? Similar to ryzen master?

I'm trying to cool mine as throttling at 90c whilst gaming

Associate
90c when gaming sounds very high to me. I get 90c with cinebench very quickly but it doesn't throttle; tops at 75c when gaming so fine to me.

That is with a 240mm AIO and a well ventilated big case

Associate
After some testing, I settled down for pretty conservative settings to avoid any occasional crashing which I used to have with a more aggressive Curve Optimizer (100% free of crashes now)

CO is zero (0) in the best 2 cores and -5 in the rest (I used to have -10 and -15 but got a few crashes). I might try again -5 and -10 if I find the energy ;)
PBO auto and restricted to +50Mhz (tried 100 and 150Mhz but had occasional crashes)
Memory at 3800Mhz 16-16-16-34 (TForce dark pro? Samsung Bdie rated at 3200 14-14-14-31)

I believe many of my crashes when I was running higher Curve Opt. were due to my former Radeon 5700 (no more crashes since upgraded to the RTX) but to be honest I got plenty of power so I don't care whether my 5800X boost to 4900mhz like now or to 5000 Mhz as per before with more aggressive settings. All core is still around 4650-4700Mhz and I have never been able to push that further.

Associate
How did you come up with those numbers bud? Similar to ryzen master?

I'm trying to cool mine as throttling at 90c whilst gaming

I have been checking your cooler and your case; I believe your cooler is using the hot air inside to cool the processor so not really very effective (probably loads of hot air from the RTX3070!); You might be better off with water/AIO taking the air in? it seems there is room for a 240mm AIO (at least I can see room for the fans!). I even had once a 120mm AIO and never went over 80c when gaming but in a big ATX case with 6x12cm fans

Last edited:
Associate
I have been checking your cooler and your case; I believe your cooler is using the hot air inside to cool the processor so not really very effective (probably loads of hot air from the RTX3070!); You might be better off with water/AIO taking the air in? it seems there is room for a 240mm AIO (at least I can see room for the fans!). I even had once a 120mm AIO and never went over 80c when gaming but in a big ATX case with 6x12cm fans

Yeah looks that way at glance . However Case has been modded - had 3 x 140mm fans added to the top as intake (fresh air intake for cpu and 3080ti), and has all the stock ports (3x120mm, 2x80mm) and psu 14cm as exhaust.

Nh-c14s seemed pretty capable before and also upgraded to arctic p14 push pull. Crazy high airflow for a HTPC so never bothered with an aio. Mobo temps barely above ambient and rtx 3080ti rarely goes over 60c whilst gaming.

It's something to do with PBO/oc I'm sure as for some reason it's boosting to like 4850mhz and this is when it hits 90c and up.
Even prime95 doesn't see it go much over 80c. Gaming is like 20-30% use so don't know what would happen if it ever actually played a game with high cpu usage

Soldato
Yeah looks that way at glance . However Case has been modded - had 3 x 140mm fans added to the top as intake (fresh air intake for cpu and 3080ti), and has all the stock ports (3x120mm, 2x80mm) and psu 14cm as exhaust.

Nh-c14s seemed pretty capable before and also upgraded to arctic p14 push pull. Crazy high airflow for a HTPC so never bothered with an aio. Mobo temps barely above ambient and rtx 3080ti rarely goes over 60c whilst gaming.

It's something to do with PBO/oc I'm sure as for some reason it's boosting to like 4850mhz and this is when it hits 90c and up.
Even prime95 doesn't see it go much over 80c. Gaming is like 20-30% use so don't know what would happen if it ever actually played a game with high cpu usage
Since I got a 3080 I get similar CPU temps in gaming that I would in say cinebench yet the CPU is only running half power or less, what this shows is just how much heat these newer high power GPU put out.

The only real way to negate this is put in an AIO with the rad where your intake is as this should ensure your getting cooler air from outside the case to cool the CPU while you could also improve things but running an undervolt on the GPU which will lower its power draw and the heat expelled.

Associate
Since I got a 3080 I get similar CPU temps in gaming that I would in say cinebench yet the CPU is only running half power or less, what this shows is just how much heat these newer high power GPU put out.

The only real way to negate this is put in an AIO with the rad where your intake is as this should ensure your getting cooler air from outside the case to cool the CPU while you could also improve things but running an undervolt on the GPU which will lower its power draw and the heat expelled.

Like Joxeon said it could be the case of hot air getting trapped inside from the GPU, i had a similar issue when i upgraded my case and kept the same fans/airflow setup as my old case and temps got out of hand pretty fast. Readjusted them and dropped 20-30c.

Associate
I am sorry the thread is too long so no reading all again; have you tried to use Curve Optimizer in the bios to slightly decrease CPU volts? Using -5 for the fastest 2 cores and -10 for the rest brought my temps down by almost 10c (right now I am at 0 for the fastest cores and 5 for the rest as I had a few crashes as not all chips can take changes in the CO).

Back
Top Bottom