• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5800x started to overheat

Associate
Had my system running for about 14 months now, this morning temperatures are shooting up till I get auto shutdown. If I run just in bios, from a cool start, temps rise steadily till temp warning and shutdown.

Takes approx 2 to 3 minutes to go from cool start (40/50 degrees) to shutdown.

Nothing has changed in comp in 14 months.

X5800
MSI X570 Tomahawk
Raijintek Rainbow AIO Cooler

System temp is 25 degrees and chipset 28 degrees

The cooler hasn't shifted, all fans still working, cold intake feels cool, outtake feels warm but not overly so.

I suspect chip has a fault but any ideas. I am in the middle of moving so really don't need the hassle of RMA right now.

Last edited:
Soldato
Strange. I'd try remounting the cooler. Maybe the thermal paste has dried up and/or shifted. I'd be surprised if a CPU fault was causing overheating, but you never know I suppose.

Soldato
As above, big chance it could be the cooler.

Can you feel the pump running? Does it come with software to monitor and control the pump speed or is it all controlled via the motherboard fan header/PSU directly?

Associate
OP
Just tried replacing thermal paste. No change. On bios idle, temps just keep on marching up till temp alarm.

Don't get why the out cooler pipe wouldn't be hotter though if its not pumping. Shouldn't it be heated from the heat sink connection up? First AIO so just going from normal water pumps.

Ok, thanks guys. Guess have to RMA the cooler.

Soldato
Just tried replacing thermal paste. No change. On bios idle, temps just keep on marching up till temp alarm.

Don't get why the out cooler pipe wouldn't be hotter though if its not pumping. Shouldn't it be heated from the heat sink connection up? First AIO so just going from normal water pumps.

Ok, thanks guys. Guess have to RMA the cooler.
Download HWiNFO if you don't have it, open the sensors section and see if there's a reading for your pump somewhere in there. AIOs usually let you monitor it. Should be easy to see if it's stopped.

Soldato
Even if the CPU broke, it wouldn't just randomly heat up as long as your cooler was working.

The motherboard controls how much power the CPU can actually draw.

The BIOS should allow you to check the pump RPM. It would show up like a normal fan, if it isn't detecting it or is reading zero, then pump must be gone.

Soldato
I'd say aio. Might not be pump failure of you can feel it, could be that the microfins are gunked up. If you have prime just get a cheap air cooler and slap it on so you can be certain.

Soldato
Had my system running for about 14 months now, this morning temperatures are shooting up till I get auto shutdown. If I run just in bios, from a cool start, temps rise steadily till temp warning and shutdown.

Takes approx 2 to 3 minutes to go from cool start (40/50 degrees) to shutdown.

Nothing has changed in comp in 14 months.

X5800
MSI X570 Tomahawk
Raijintek Rainbow AIO Cooler

System temp is 25 degrees and chipset 28 degrees

The cooler hasn't shifted, all fans still working, cold intake feels cool, outtake feels warm but not overly so.

I suspect chip has a fault but any ideas. I am in the middle of moving so really don't need the hassle of RMA right now.

That's not the chip, orbits very unlikely based on what you've said

the most likely culprit in order of what I'd check

* Failed pump on AIO
* Dried up thermal paste between AIO and CPU
* Bad mounting and contact between AIO and CPU

Associate
Personal experience, I tried an NZXT aio and the software made it completely unusable, so I tried a lian li galahad 360mm and 10 months later the pump failed. I've put a noctua NHD15s in now which I feel just has less points of faliure and performs really well. I still like the look of builds with radiators and led fans, they look good and perform well but my thinking has just changed now, whenever I see a build like that I admire it but then think it's too much to go wrong

Soldato
Personal experience, I tried an NZXT aio and the software made it completely unusable, so I tried a lian li galahad 360mm and 10 months later the pump failed. I've put a noctua NHD15s in now which I feel just has less points of faliure and performs really well. I still like the look of builds with radiators and led fans, they look good and perform well but my thinking has just changed now, whenever I see a build like that I admire it but then think it's too much to go wrong

They can certainly do better with their protection

I mean look everything fails, it's how you fail and mitigate risk that matters. Fans can fail on graphics cards and do frequently because the motors are operating at high rpm's in a high heat environment for long periods but a lot of GPUs these days will refuse to boot when a fan has failed - that's a mitigation to prevent damage to the GPU, AIO should do the same

Back
Top Bottom